Chancellor Kent Syverud Performance to Date | Syracusefan.com

Chancellor Kent Syverud Performance to Date

Rate Chancellor Kent Syverud's tenure (1 to 5)

• Exceeding Expectations

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Meets Expectations

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • Needs Improvement

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
oops. couldn't do five choices so forgive the misleading question caption (1-5) :)

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.

I've been mildly disappointed so far; my initial perception was that Syverud is a well-intentioned person, kind of cautious, nerdy. Of course he'd go after his pet project to the exclusion of other areas (just like his predecessor), but I assumed his cautious nature would be an asset.

On a number of matters, he's come across as dishonest. He offers another in the article: “Many people issued statements very quickly and I was somewhat surprised, because I was unable to even locate the text of what the travel ban was that they were commenting on,” he said. “So the first thing I needed to do was figure out what actually the proposal was. Once I read the proposal I realized it had implications for the university.” That defies belief.

Eh, whatever. His job isn't to make OttoMets happy. He'll be here for 7 or 8 more years, hopefully he does more good than bad.

The Dome Reno or lack of movement had given me pause.

I think he has done some of the nitty gritty dirty work around campus behind the scenes to help control spending and costs and trimmed some fat where needed.

I also think he made some solid hires in key areas to help keep improving financial well being of the University as well as improving the academic perception of the school as well.

I think where he needs improvement would be getting the proverbial ball rolling on some of these proposals and projects that have been leaked and that the community at large wants to see done sooner than later.

Just read the following article on Chancellor Kent Syverud from the Daily Orange. Curious to see how the board feels about his leadership and tenure to date.

PUBLIC CONSENSUS: How Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud is viewed 3 years into his tenure

From my perspective, he's got 3 major responsibilities:

1. Improving the academic profile of the school
2. Improving the finances of the school.
3. Investing in the revenue sports programs.

So far, I hear good things on the budget side.

Three years is not long enough to really improve the academic profile of the school, but they took a big hit with the loss of the dean of the Business School.

I'm surprised there has not been a new dean of the law school, and a bunch of high profile hiring of professors, since he is a lawyer / former law school dean himself.

His handling of the JB "retirement" was another black eye - Kent looked tough when he announced the retirement date and endorsement of Mike to take over, but we all saw how that turned out.

Of course there was the $500M proposal for a stadium and development at the Kennedy Square location that Mayor Miner blew up, but I never felt like the university was on board with that, anyway.

So far, making announcements about the Promenade, and Dome improvements, with zero to follow for the last 18 months or so is yet another black eye.

I'd give him about a C- so far. You're never going to please the academics, but geez, it's three years already? I thought he would have accomplished a lot more by now. Remember when there was mention of them launching a medical school? Another in the "not yet" column.

Three years is not long enough to really improve the academic profile of the school, but they took a big hit with the loss of the dean of the Business School.

I'm surprised there has not been a new dean of the law school, and a bunch of high profile hiring of professors, since he is a lawyer / former law school dean himself.

His handling of the JB "retirement" was another black eye - Kent looked tough when he announced the retirement date and endorsement of Mike to take over, but we all saw how that turned out.

Of course there was the $500M proposal for a stadium and development at the Kennedy Square location that Mayor Miner blew up, but I never felt like the university was on board with that, anyway.

So far, making announcements about the Promenade, and Dome improvements, with zero to follow for the last 18 months or so is yet another black eye.

I'd give him about a C- so far. You're never going to please the academics, but geez, it's three years already? I thought he would have accomplished a lot more by now. Remember when there was mention of them launching a medical school? Another in the "not yet" column.

Regarding law: College of Law Welcomes Dean-Designate Craig Boise | Syracuse University College of Law

What could they do about the Whitman dean getting caught with hookers? Give him a slap on the wrist? He had to be punished and they decided terminating him from that role was best for the university overall.

I think he has been exceptional. He walked into a total mess which has been fixed. Now that a solid fiancial foundation has been established he has the basis to perform.
Totally agree.

What could they do about the Whitman dean getting caught with hookers? Give him a slap on the wrist? He had to be punished and they decided terminating him from that role was best for the university overall.

I just said it was a tough break - a "black eye". It reflects badly on his time here. No, he couldn't have done anything about it, but it's something that happened while he was Chancellor, and something like that will be remembered in certain circles for a long time.

You forgot step 0: Clean up Cantors mess.

Reminds me of Obama's first 100 days - aside from saving the worlds economy and the auto industry, he's been kinda "meh"

I think he has been exceptional. He walked into a total mess which has been fixed. Now that a solid fiancial foundation has been established he has the basis to perform.

My only insight is from a professor in the "B" school. He thinks KS is doing really well. He had to clear a lot of Cantor's dead wood hires. He did it with extreme prejudice.

I'll echo what others have said, in that he was handed a dumpster fire with the finances. He has done a good job getting that back on track. It was going to take time to fix that mess. I look at the next 3 years as the real test.

I just said it was a tough break - a "black eye". It reflects badly on his time here. No, he couldn't have done anything about it, but it's something that happened while he was Chancellor, and something like that will be remembered in certain circles for a long time.
i already forgot about it.

Well, maybe in cleaning up the finances, but he hasn't done anything in three years so far about the Dome.

A medical school that specialized in care for vets. It's a nice concept, but not sure how u execute it.

A medical school that specialized in care for vets. It's a nice concept, but not sure how u execute it.
Well the 15bn that the Fed gov just agreed to put into defense/mil should generate the need. There is talk that momentum has slowed for this pursuit, given the new administration, etc., but I would feel that with the proper "team," in place, money could be found for this again. Perhaps the hold up goes back to the VA and Crouse systems being opposed?

If he's not lobbying the state to help pay for renovations then its very disappointing is all I'll say. It's all about building the right relationships even if it means getting in bed with Andy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom