Chandler Jones 1st Round Pick | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chandler Jones 1st Round Pick

I have doubts that Chandler goes in the first round. His college production was poor and he has been injured. I hope for his sake and for the pub that SU would get that he is a first rounder but i see him as mid second

3. Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
Perhaps no one’ stock has risen as high or as quickly as Chandler Jones over the last two weeks. I am under the impression that Jones has been valued much higher by NFL teams all along than by the media and is now flying up the boards. Jones is a big, tall and long defensive end. He uses his long arms extremely well and wins battles with power and leverage.
Jones also exhibits good instincts and recognition ability in the run game and makes a lot of plays by coming down the line of scrimmage. Jones like McClellin has a really good motor and makes plays with effort, motor and by chasing down the ball carrier. There is some question as to whether he can play 3-4 OLB and if he can drop or buzz into coverage, but both 3-4 and 4-3 teams love him. There has been some talk this week surrounding the Philadelphia Eagles and Jones, although I am not sure how much sense that makes. I certainly think Jones will be in the mix for teams like San Diego, Chicago and even Cincinnati.
If Jones makes it to the Patriots pick at 27 (which seems unlikely right now), I believe he would be the selection. There is no chance right now that Jones falls out of the first round.

Edit: from http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/04/2012-nfl-draft-risers-and-fallers.html
McShay on Mike and Mike today. Said C Jones is the fastest riser on the board. He has him at 16 to the Jets, but would not be surprised if he went as high as 12 to Seattle.

McShay and Kiper both have Chandler going #12 to the Seahawks in their final mock drafts.

John Mullin (@CSNMoonMullin)
4/26/12 5:29 PM

Rich Cimini covering Jets for ESPN hears Jets looking to grab Chandler Jones, possibly to the point of trading up

4/26/12 5:29 PM

Rich Cimini covering Jets for ESPN hears Jets looking to grab Chandler Jones, possibly to the point of trading up
the jets need a pash rusher, they need sacks.

if chan goes there, he better be ready to throw up sack #s like a high pick DE is expected to show.

Look, I like Chandler, but it astonishes me that Art could be extremely productive in college, battle some injuries, and go in the 5th round, while Chandler was only moderately productive, battled some injuries, and is now projected as a top 20 pick.

I loved Art for deciding to stay but had he left a year early (and not been injured) he was grading out 2nd round at the worst. Gotta think that may have played into Chan's choice to leave early.

FWIW I'm not sure Chan's star potential either but the fact that there are no other DE's in this draft really makes his move to go a year early quite intelligent.

Agree about Art. Loved that he came back, but the pectoral injury absolutely screwed his draft position.

I really hope Chan succeeds and then some, but I just don't see him as a legit top 15-20 pick right now. Again, I really hope he proves me wrong.

the jets need a pash rusher, they need sacks.

if chan goes there, he better be ready to throw up sack #s like a high pick DE is expected to show.
Scared of a vernon Gholston type scenario.

Agree about Art. Loved that he came back, but the pectoral injury absolutely screwed his draft position.

I really hope Chan succeeds and then some, but I just don't see him as a legit top 15-20 pick right now. Again, I really hope he proves me wrong.

He's the same boat load of potential that Cuse fans were hoping to see breakout at SU. Whether on not it's realized will be interesting to follow. The fact that he is climbing the draft boards may speak more to the strength of this years draft more than anything. QB frenzy at the top and then alot of "potential" guys that teams are going to have to gamble on outside the top 10.

People still have a difficult time separating college production from NFL potential.

Not all the news on Jones is good. Mike Florio is at Radio City Music Hall and he reports that Jones has a toe problem that could cause him to slide lower than expected. The two things may not be mutually exclusive as inflated worry over a toe problem could help Jones fall to a team that wants to get him later in the first round.

4/26/12 7:52 PM
ESPN Jets guy Rich Cimini tweets that Chandler Jones has no toe problem - wonder who would start a rumor? a team hoping he falls?

People still have a difficult time separating college production from NFL potential.
So true, Chandler will be successful in the NFL barring injuries and his potential is sky high. I truly look forward to his success in the NFL. He IS what the analysts are saying. He really can take off in the next year.

If he's still on the board by 22 I'll be surprised. Pats just traded up to 21 and supposedly gunning for Chan. Not a big Pats fan but from a players perspective you really can't end up on a better organization.

Good for him! That was an awesome shot of him with his 2 Bro's there with him. I guess losing to the giants D-line in consecutive super bowl appearances made them go for this. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom