Chane Behanan dismissed from Louisville | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chane Behanan dismissed from Louisville

We're talking about a sports team representing the university that has specific rules the team members follow.

:bat:Oh Lord

i get that. dont see what this has to do with the issue of testing someone for drugs randomly.

This post was kind of a response to the argument in the post directly above it, about whose behaviors can be regulated, when, why, etc...and my general dislike for the word "drugs", which vary widely in type and degree, as species in the animal kingdom do. As I repeat later, I am not advocating anything other than putting more sensible evaluation into such matters. I bolded the name at the end to remind us that our team may not be immune(and because I dont expect the majority of folks to read all of this). Performance enhancing drugs I can understand. And if we want to talk BS about "representing" the team, do we need to be reminded of how some of our "representatives" represented themselves at Chuck's or other drinking establishments/frat parties/places where doors can be kicked in? They actually DID things, were SEEN doing them, and often nothing is done. I'm not judging, just illustrating the inequality of how some things are judged. In such matters the actual reason is often a matter of politics more than what many may assume. This society is starting to remind me of the movie "Minority Report", with the level of value we give to certain presumptions.

Any
addiction can be bad, and any behavior(or even thought pattern) can be an addiction if done enough(goodness knows it's taken me awhile to learn this). Some are just easier to understand, the apparent effects more easily attributable and/or undesirable, and as such are more stigmatized often after government/media campaigns. Ones like drugs are a large money making industry(I'm not talking about the selling of the drugs, unless of course you mean the licensed competition like big pharma, and/or all the testimony of ex-government officials regarding the CIA's endeavors such as making Freeway Willie Horton).

If the dude's addiction was to sex, sugar, etc, they couldn't suspend him. If he were addicted to violence and somehow chose hoops over jobs that encourage it(police, military, maybe a bouncer), he wouldn't be banned if he found an outlet where it didn't get noticed(such as a masochistic girlfriend). I could go on forever. I mean Marv Albert wouldn't have been suspended if he had just yelled his trademark "Yes!", instead of biting the transvestite hooker in the back.

And for that matter, while addiction may be likely, it shouldn't be an assumed. Cannabis is not physically addictive, but some people like former pro-bowl RB Ricky Williams enjoy it, and for a time chose it and spiritual seeking over millions of dollars. Oddly, alcohol is quite addictive and often causes undesirable behavior/health problems, yet sponsors sporting events and is sold there. However(and I believe rightly so) any suspensions from alcohol would usually have to have more factored in than just mere use(age, location of use, and more than likely actions taken while using). Relax, I enjoy drinking, but many who do are hypocrites, even if by silently accepting the unfair treatment of others.

A little more on addiction. LSD, which Steve Jobs(founder of Apple...just in case) said was one of the 3 most important things he ever did in his life... also not addicting, is not known to cause brain damage, and has extremely low toxicity relative to dose. Nowadays, some folks who want similar experiences to Jobs' have to settle for cough syrup or Benadryl(not joking), which indeed can be dangerous relative to dose.

But of course I am told there are very addictive drugs like heroin and cocaine. A recent study shows they are less addictive than Oreos. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsu...ine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/ I am not necessarily advocating the use of any substance(or food for that matter), but am simply advocating that we as individuals and as a society start to evaluate each other in a different manner than we currently do. Change happens...segregation was not all that long ago. Alcohol prohibition isn't that relatively distant either. In the future we may laugh remembering things that were not accepted now, and/or may cry as we miss some of the freedoms we used to enjoy, including economically.

PS I haven't followed the Chris McCullough(for those who don't follow recruiting, some say our best prospect since...) thing since he was banned by his prep school. At the last of my reading, he was not disclosing why. Possibly an Oreo binge that helped him to have an unfair advantage for the winning the Nobel prize for science? (Francis Crick, Kary Mullis, etc)

I'm gonna get killed for this again but Kevin Ware is suspended too. They may say they want to redshirt him now after he's played 9 games but he failed the same drug test Behanan did. He was suspended last year, this offseason, and now. They prolly can't kick him off since he was made into an American hero for breaking his leg on live TV.
For the record, Ware was suspended and isn't transferring voluntarily.

For the record, Ware was suspended and isn't transferring voluntarily.

I was wondering if the rumors I read from earlier in the season about him being suspended were true. Very interesting but not surprising the transfer is not voluntary if that is the case.

But of course I am told there are very addictive drugs like heroin and cocaine. A recent study shows they are less addictive than Oreos. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsu...ine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/ I am not necessarily advocating the use of any substance(or food for that matter), but am simply advocating that we as individuals and as a society start to evaluate each other in a different manner than we currently do.
I'm just now reading your post... 60 days after the fact. You're parroting a ridiculous assertion on the part of the press (Connecticut College, then picked up by Forbes). These studies tell us nothing about addiction and these researchers should be lambasted for proselytizing what is utter B.S., no doubt seeking publicity and grant money.

Here's the poster from the Soc. for Neurosci. annual meeting: www.abstractsonline.com/plan/ViewAbstract.aspx?mID=3236&sKey=20f88330-614a-445a-9037-4471e59c1d45&cKey=8e1870d1-fb19-4826-9571-b970acd6c869&mKey=8d2a5bec-4825-4cd6-9439-b42bb151d1cf.

A very similar paper was recently published by another group in Canada; here's the reference: Addict Biol. 2013 Sep;18(5):763-73. You can read the abstract here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22340075.

The only things these studies tell us is that rats like palatable foods. The Canadian group stuck 78 rats in mazes wherein the rodents could select a path to either Oreos (or not) or cocaine (or not). They chose the Oreo path in the Oreo maze as often as the cocaine path in the cocaine maze. They did a bit of biochemistry to look at the increase in a "pleasure" biomarker - cFOS - that they then suggested showed greater "pleasure" from Oreos over cocaine.

The Connecticut group performed a similar maze-based study but it remains unpublished. The study lasted 8 days. Does anyone think that addiction to cocaine (or any other drug, really) would yield max dependency in 8 days?

Rat brains ≠ human brains. Stimulating pleasure centers ≠ addiction. cFOS is a tired marker for all sorts of processes, one that practically every researcher trots out to say, "Look! My experiments show an increase in cFOS too!". 8 days isn't long enough. 78 rats is too small an N to draw conclusions from. And what about withdrawal - does anyone believe that cessation of Oreo consumption can kill you (severe withdrawal from heroin certainly can)?

Apologies for the diatribe - and this isn't meant as an ad hominem directed at you, CaptainJ - the claims by the scientists here are just ridiculous and indefensible.

In my research, Oreos are indeed addictive. I don't have a PhD though.

I was wondering if the rumors I read from earlier in the season about him being suspended were true. Very interesting but not surprising the transfer is not voluntary if that is the case.

I wonder if they are trying to help him out with the transfer or are cutting all ties?

If we could switch all the heroin and cocaine addicts over to Oreos, the world would be a much better, and fatter, place.