Changing of the guard? | Syracusefan.com

Changing of the guard?

RF2044

Living Legend
Howard Washington looked REALLY good today.

At the very least, it suggests that Girard is going to get a much shorter leash. Not throwing Girard under the bus -- but the offense seemed to run better with Washington at the helm.

Trend or flash in the pan?

At the very least, it suggests that Girard is going to get a much shorter leash. Not throwing Girard under the bus -- but the offense seemed to run better with Washington at the helm.

Too early to tell but worth exploring and giving him more time imo

He at least earned the opportunity to show us what he can do with more minutes in the next game.

He seems like he’s just comfortable running the point. A steady game manager that instinctively knows how to run an office is something we haven’t had.
Someone else pointed out how talkative he is on the d end as well, and I saw that more than a few times today. Puts other guys in the right spots.

The only problem is that he's not a threat to score. He's a really good point guard and if he has two other scorers hitting, he'll be fine. He also picks up his dribble too quickly.

i hope we see more of it. he looked in control and never got sped up which is exactly what you need when you’re running point at this level. Girard is obviously a better scorer but there’s no question HW is the better overall point guard and i feel like that could really help this team.

The only problem is that he's not a threat to score. He's a really good point guard and if he has two other scorers hitting, he'll be fine. He also picks up his dribble too quickly.
Would have been nice to see that open 3 go down. I can't remember if the one he took that got waved off for the STUPID travel call went down.

He had a lane to the basket once today that he could have driven, but he dished and we scored. Can't fault him for that.

He's got to get run if we are going to succeed. He did a very nice job today.

Someone else pointed out how talkative he is on the d end as well, and I saw that more than a few times today. Puts other guys in the right spots.
Crazy thing is ... Howard is so quiet off the court. Very soft-spoken and not talkative. A different person when he's in his element on the court.

HoWash played the way you would expect an upperclassman guard to play with a 20+ point lead.

1) can he play that way when the game is tight?
2) can he play that way when we’re down and lead the team to a comeback?
3) can he play that way vs better guards/competition?

Liked what I saw, but we all know he has limitations and is still largely unproven/untested.

Watching the game I couldn’t help but think the same, the offense looked smooth with the ball working it’s way around rather then Girard driving and getting stuck in the lane.

I would like this move. Washington is not a threat to score 10 ppg but he is a game manager. He is a high IQ player, he is a pure PG, by far our best passer and he was spectacular on defense today as well as on the boards.

I also like this because it allows Girard to play off the ball more and split some time at shooting guard. Which is best for him and the team in my opinion. One game so let’s see how Washington plays the next few games.

Too early to tell but worth exploring and giving him more time imo
Agreed. Ive been skeptical of Washington from the jump. His weaknesses (slow and unathletic) are exactly what we’ve been complaining about with this team and feed into those overall problems/weaknesses. That’s why I’ve been hoping Carey (pre-injury) or Goodine would start figuring it out. Who knows, maybe Washington can help stanch the bleeding this season (until Girard or Goodine can make some progress) because he is a natural PG, knows what JB wants, and knows our system.

Last edited:
Girard will still play a lot. JB is grooming him for the future IMO.
They both gotta play. No reason to play some of our guys 30+. JB gotta figure out his bench and how to play more then 5 guys. We will need each guys skillset at some point and JG3 will have games where he can light it up. Washington looked excellent running point but that's not suprising considering hes the only true pg on the roster.

They both gotta play. No reason to play some of our guys 30+. JB gotta figure out his bench and how to play more then 5 guys. We will need each guys skillset at some point and JG3 will have games where he can light it up. Washington looked excellent running point but that's not suprising considering hes the only true pg on the roster.

Not disputing that, but without looking at the box score I would say Girard still played 25ish Minutes today. That’s probably where he will be going forward. I don’t think that’s a “changing” of the guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom