Changing of the guard? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Changing of the guard?

Everyone is comparing Washington to Girard but I think the more important comparison based on this game is Goodine. Brycen is on the bench and Boeheim is looking to improve the rotation with Washington getting a shot. I'm not sure this is a long term decision, but until Goodine gets more comfortable on the court we might be seeing more of Howard. Have to feel great for the kid as Boeheim is giving him more of a shot. I am guessing it has something to do with Goodine's play as well as what they've been doing in practice.

the girard is not a pg line of thinking is a bit confusing to me as well. Probably the only pleasant surprise of the season is joes ability to handle the ball and his better than average court vision. He has pg skills but also can slide over to the two. Nice to have that flexibility.
He has pretty decent court vision, but he makes some risky passes as well. Interesting to see if JB beats those out of him.

the only threat girard is to scoring is on SU’s ability to score
Let’s be fair he has had games where he has helped and hindered the offense.

Everyone is comparing Washington to Girard but I think the more important comparison based on this game is Goodine. Brycen is on the bench and Boeheim is looking to improve the rotation with Washington getting a shot. I'm not sure this is a long term decision, but until Goodine gets more comfortable on the court we might be seeing more of Howard. Have to feel great for the kid as Boeheim is giving him more of a shot. I am guessing it has something to do with Goodine's play as well as what they've been doing in practice.
I agree Washington's opportunity came at Goodine's expense not Girards. The fact that he played well made JG3 have a shorter leash than usual, but Ggodine is the one losing minutes and opportunity.

I really, really, really wish we had solidified PG, but I still don't think we have one that's going to be impactful. Hope I'm wrong though.

That being said, Washington was great against GT, and it was odd seeing someone with some aptitude for the position actually on the court. It's been awhile since someone played the position that appeared to have the tool bag - I'm hopeful, but still think he may be overmatched once we see tougher M2M.

Regardless, great game, and I REALLY hope he keeps it up. It's more fun to watch basketball with a PG!

... Washington was great against GT, and it was odd seeing someone with some aptitude for the position actually on the court. It's been awhile since someone played the position that appeared to have the tool bag - I'm hopeful, but still think he may be overmatched once we see tougher M2M. Regardless, great game, and I REALLY hope he keeps it up. It's more fun to watch basketball with a PG!

Agree with that. It didn't seem like GT's defense was all that tough, even though they supposedly have a tough match-up zone. The same group of GT starters (i.e., minus Alvarado) beat Nebraska 73-56 in their previous game.

Long overdue- HoWash has looked good recently, and has been deserving of more PT, IMO.
Not necessarily a “changing of the guard”, but certainly a welcome indication that JB, dragged kicking and screaming because of Carey’s injury and Goodine & JG’s youth, will finally be forced to develop some options at that position.
See that’s the thing about developing a bench...options. On nights when JG is stinking up the joint, or Goodine seems overwhelmed, why not play an upperclassman HoWash to give you a few minutes? Why is that not a regular precept for not only this year, but in years past & moving forward? Smdh

Howard Washington looked REALLY good today.

At the very least, it suggests that Girard is going to get a much shorter leash. Not throwing Girard under the bus -- but the offense seemed to run better with Washington at the helm.

Trend or flash in the pan?
How quickly you give up on Joe...no way. Washington does nothing but pass the ball and then run out of the way. Girard is just in a cold shooting streak. He’s going to be one of the greatest to ever play at SU.

Nothing compared to Scoop.
50FD3AA9-3DC6-490A-8501-A2719F139848.jpeg

How quickly you give up on Joe...no way. Washington does nothing but pass the ball and then run out of the way. Girard is just in a cold shooting streak. He’s going to be one of the greatest to ever play at SU.

Dave Bing, Derrick Coleman, Carmelo Anthony, Joe Girard

I haven't given up on him -- at all. But I prefer to deal with empirical observation instead of wishful thinking -- and prior to hitting a couple of shots in the second half against Georgia Tech, he'd gone several games where he wasn't making shots. Compounding that was him making unforced errors, such as driving into traffic with nowhere to go, turnovers, etc. I think JB could / would live with those mistakes if he was knocking down threes, but when he isn't then in conjunction those things hurt the team.

Which is why he got subbed for. And Washington produced -- albeit for one game. PG has been a struggle for this team all year long, and it was interesting to see how this team can perform when we have steady play at lead guard.

There has been some interesting discussion in this thread about HW's strengths / limitations, what Saturday's performance means going forward, etc. Here's how I see it:
  • The only relevant thing is that JB appears to now slate HW ahead of BG in the rotation, as evidenced by the substitution pattern Saturday.
  • If HW hadn't performed well, then he wouldn't have gotten extended run. But he did, so he played. A lot.
  • GT is a good statistical defensive team, but was missing a key backcourt cog [Alveredo] who is an on-ball defensive stalwart. Even so, that doesn't detract from how HW performed.
  • I don't think we can read too much into it, beyond HW has earned minutes for the next game. If the solid play continues, then it starts to become a trend.

I'll also add that competition is a good thing, as is depth. If Girard lights it up any given game, then ride the hot hand and keep any player spelling him on the bench. But if not, then we aren't locked into having to play guys 30+ minutes in games where they are not producing.

Scoop Flynn Dion Sherm Sweet D Jimmy Lee Pearl Gmac M Gib Triche. Just to name a few Guards.

I guess I have a different opinion of what an all time great is.

Let's not forget the defensive aspect of the game. HW is 6'3". JG is listed at 6'1", which may be generous. Washington is quicker at the top of the zone and has more experience . He plays defense with his hands up. Right now HW is the better defensive player.

On offense, I am impressed how Washington is always looking up-court when bringing the ball up in transition. JG is also doing a good job of that. If Girard can start hitting some shots he will be an invaluable asset to the team. If not, HW will be seeing more playing time. Right now HW should definitely be the backup PG over Goodine.

One thing that goes unnoticed with a Girard is he’s a very good rebounder. Much better than Buddy. He also pushes the ball on the break and finds shooters early.
I agree. He scraps for boards and loose balls, and pushes tempo more than any guard we have had in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom