Charlo- Harrison II | Syracusefan.com

Charlo- Harrison II

SWC75

Bored Historian
Charlo was out for revenge and decked Harrison in the second round. But Jermell was content to back off and try to counter-punch the normal defensive Harrison, who won most of the rounds with a sharp jab and more direct punches. I had him ahead by 3 points when Charlo finally got to him in the 11th round, twice knockign him down and then throwing a flurry of punches that caused the referee to finally stop the fight, (which he should have done after the second knockdown. Charlo had no interest in a rubber match, since most people felt he won the first fight and expressed his disdain for the mouthy Harrison. Now maybe we'll finally get to see the Charlo bothers against the top middle weights like Golovkin, Alvarez, Jacobs, Williams, Hurd and Munguia.

Good night of boxing (couple of nice cards in a row - Crawford last week).
Ajagbe-Kiladze undercard fight was fun - a rock’em sock‘ em heavyweight scrap...
Gotta give Charlo credit - he closed Harrison out this time even though behind.
I too hope the Charlo twins get a shot at bigger names in the division. I like them both and think they need to step up and fight the elite in the 168-156 range; to see if they can hang with the best or not. Promoter political alignment is tough for them though. DAZN has the top Middleweights locked up. Haymon would need to take a decided “B-side” in any negotiation with a Canelo or GGG or even a Jacobs. And I’ve yet to see Al do that yet (with any of his fighters).
So, If I had to guess, I bet more “PBC round-robin” next year featuring the Charlo’s, Hurd, J-Rock with an aging Lara thrown in as well. Decent matchups, but not the real Middleweight elite either...

Good night of boxing (couple of nice cards in a row - Crawford last week).
Ajagbe-Kiladze undercard fight was fun - a rock’em sock‘ em heavyweight scrap...
Gotta give Charlo credit - he closed Harrison out this time even though behind.
I too hope the Charlo twins get a shot at bigger names in the division. I like them both and think they need to step up and fight the elite in the 168-156 range; to see if they can hang with the best or not. Promoter political alignment is tough for them though. DAZN has the top Middleweights locked up. Haymon would need to take a decided “B-side” in any negotiation with a Canelo or GGG or even a Jacobs. And I’ve yet to see Al do that yet (with any of his fighters).
So, If I had to guess, I bet more “PBC round-robin” next year featuring the Charlo’s, Hurd, J-Rock with an aging Lara thrown in as well. Decent matchups, but not the real Middleweight elite either...

Imagine if any other sport was run this way? The Patriots wouldn't defend their title unless they got 2/3 of the take, etc. I don't follow MMA. Are they as fractured as boxing?

Can't believe that 11th round, Harrison dominated besides the 2nd. He started showing out with theatrics, that usually doesn't end well and didn't. The Charlos's don't impress me too much, they're not fast and not technical and don't fight well inside. I see Canelo coming down and fighting one of them because it looks good on paper and he knows he can beat them. Oh well, I'm really looking forward to 2020, man that's gonna be a geat year.

Are they as fractured as boxing?
Exact opposite as boxing, their top fighters always fight each other, that's the argument for MMA, can't really argue that.

Exact opposite as boxing, their top fighters always fight each other, that's the argument for MMA, can't really argue that.
Not an MMA fan either, but agree with the above - MMA fighters are matched aggressively by the promotional enterprises. But, one promoter (UFC) “owns” most of the top talent... Dana White doesn’t need to negotiate with an MMA version of a Haymon, Arum, Oscar or Hearn to put McGregor in the cage with Kahbib.

I think there is more to the issue/problem, though. I term it the “Mayweather” effect - a belief (by the promoters and younger fighters) that the “0” in the record matters more than fighting the best competition out there.
I miss guy’s like Marvin Hagler - who, when he was an up and comer, would willingly go to a top contender’s home town and fight them for just expenses. Just to get them into the ring. He cleaned out Russell Peltz’s stable of fighters in Philly. Didn’t win them all, but gained experience, resume and improved. He was one of the most avoided boxers in the sport but built himself into a Champion by doing what he had to do - fighting the toughest opponents, in their backyard, for basically nothing. He sacrificed to achieve eventual greatness, fame and riches.
But today, allot harder to do. Sanctioning bodies (WBC, WBA, IBF) are powerless to force matchups thru titling and rankings and such now. These promoters are monopolies and the real power brokers of the sport. They “buy” up all the talent and you only fight others under the same promotional umbrella. Or not at all...
I’m hopeful that “public clamor“ will eventually cut thru some of this. Wilder and Joshua are under different promotional banners. If Wilder beats Fury early next year, the “noise“ for an eventual match with Joshua will be overwhelming. Hopefully Crawford/Spence too. I too look forward to 2020. Allot of good fights can be made.

Not an MMA fan either, but agree with the above - MMA fighters are matched aggressively by the promotional enterprises. But, one promoter (UFC) “owns” most of the top talent... Dana White doesn’t need to negotiate with an MMA version of a Haymon, Arum, Oscar or Hearn to put McGregor in the cage with Kahbib.

I think there is more to the issue/problem, though. I term it the “Mayweather” effect - a belief (by the promoters and younger fighters) that the “0” in the record matters more than fighting the best competition out there.
I miss guy’s like Marvin Hagler - who, when he was an up and comer, would willingly go to a top contender’s home town and fight them for just expenses. Just to get them into the ring. He cleaned out Russell Peltz’s stable of fighters in Philly. Didn’t win them all, but gained experience, resume and improved. He was one of the most avoided boxers in the sport but built himself into a Champion by doing what he had to do - fighting the toughest opponents, in their backyard, for basically nothing. He sacrificed to achieve eventual greatness, fame and riches.
But today, allot harder to do. Sanctioning bodies (WBC, WBA, IBF) are powerless to force matchups thru titling and rankings and such now. These promoters are monopolies and the real power brokers of the sport. They “buy” up all the talent and you only fight others under the same promotional umbrella. Or not at all...
I’m hopeful that “public clamor“ will eventually cut thru some of this. Wilder and Joshua are under different promotional banners. If Wilder beats Fury early next year, the “noise“ for an eventual match with Joshua will be overwhelming. Hopefully Crawford/Spence too. I too look forward to 2020. Allot of good fights can be made.

Those are the three problems as I see it.
1) The inmates run the asylum- no central control to assure that the public gets the best matches.
2) Worship of the undefeated record. All that means is that you have yet to find out how you can lose, (see Joshua) and what to do aobut it.
3) The championships are cross-cut: junior and super divisions with four different sanctioning bodies. Max Kellerman said to look at them like bowls games in the old days of college football. I prefer the playoff.

in fact, I'd like the networks, (the only ones who could do this), to get together to standardize the divisions, (I'd chose 10: the traditional 8 with what i'd call Middle heavyweight instead of cruiserweight and Super Heavyweight for the biggest fighters). then select the top 8 fighters in the world in each division to be in a playoff for the yearly title, with the quarterfinals in the spring, the semis in the summer and the finals in the fall. That puts boxing on the sports calendar on a regular basis and pits the best fighters against each other. Some may chose not to participate at first but I think this event would capture the public's attention more than what they try to put together on their own and eventually everybody would be involved because that's what people would care about and that's where the money would be.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom