Class of 2018 - Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse

Scanlan originally committed to SU out of IMG Academy in Florida but then switched to Loyola when the Orange came up a little short on a financial aid package.

This confused me. The promise scholarship he is getting now is the same as he was getting then, right? Maybe Desko was able to free up some more scholarship money for expenses?

You need certain grades to be eligible for the Haudenosaunee Promise Program. Maybe Scanlan wasn't fully eligible coming out of IMG, but made the grades at Loyola?

Who knows.

Good stuff here.

A few interesting tidbits in that article.

1. Scanlan says he de-committed originally due to the financial aid package. Previously he mentioned it was due to his concern that SU would not pay as much attention to him or take him for granted because of the Promise scholarship. Hmmm

2. Notes that the offer of 22 didn't really play role, kind of confirms what a few of us thought, in that the number has some luster.

3. No mention of there being a concern from the Native American players about playing at SU and even mentions Cody J.

Nice to see the team welcoming Scanlan with open arms. Again, it sounds like the team is a good community right now and I don't think that is by accident. Good coaching and good leadership. Really glad to hear Scanlan is playing at Lake Placid, that shows a good level of buy-in and can only help as a bonding opportunity.

Hope he gets less and less questions regarding why he left Loyola and reporters can focus on what he will bring to Syracuse. I know it's juicy or whatever to talk about why he left, but I think everything that needs to be said about has been said. Sometimes things don't click and you need to move on. Really excited for the 2020 Orange and I think offensively this could be a special group.

In the article, they mention losing the top leading scorers, but that just means Rhefuss is flying under the radar. He was the team's top point getter two years ago and you can easily make the case he wasn't last year due to injuries and illness. I expect big things from him next year.

Nice to see the team welcoming Scanlan with open arms. Again, it sounds like the team is a good community right now and I don't think that is by accident. Good coaching and good leadership. Really glad to hear Scanlan is playing at Lake Placid, that shows a good level of buy-in and can only help as a bonding opportunity.

Hope he gets less and less questions regarding why he left Loyola and reporters can focus on what he will bring to Syracuse. I know it's juicy or whatever to talk about why he left, but I think everything that needs to be said about has been said. Sometimes things don't click and you need to move on. Really excited for the 2020 Orange and I think offensively this could be a special group.

In the article, they mention losing the top leading scorers, but that just means Rhefuss is flying under the radar. He was the team's top point getter two years ago and you can easily make the case he wasn't last year due to injuries and illness. I expect big things from him next year.
Agree on Refhuss, think he's registering 50 plus points this year. Capable of a 25/30

Still dont know if they were joking around or being serious haha.

Wait for it ...
Interesting article, but I think Dom's memory may be fading a bit. According to this page on the N.Y. State Sportswriters Association web site, Silver Creek lost to Penn Yan in the 2012 State quarter-finals, and never played Cazenovia.

Silver Creek also lost to Penn Yan in the 2013 State quarter-finals. Silver Creek did play Cazenovia, the eventual State champion, in the 2011 State semi-finals. But none of those teams would have been "decked out in red," as the article claims - those are not any of those schools' colors.

Interesting article, but I think Dom's memory may be fading a bit. According to this page on the N.Y. State Sportswriters Association web site, Silver Creek lost to Penn Yan in the 2012 State quarter-finals, and never played Cazenovia.

Silver Creek also lost to Penn Yan in the 2013 State quarter-finals. Silver Creek did play Cazenovia, the eventual State champion, in the 2011 State semi-finals. But none of those teams would have been "decked out in red," as the article claims - those are not any of those schools' colors.

Agreed, Dom seems way off in some of his recollections. Cazenovias team colors are blue and yellow.

According to his SU Athletics bio, Chase & Zed are cousins. Thankfully, that 7th grade goalie who spent the day in detention & forgot his jersey grew up, matured, & developed a strong work ethic. After watching Zeddie from HS through his career at UVA, the similarities between his game & Chase’s are so apparent. They both have that same creativity & anxious/giddy “bounce” as they carry the ball & their face dodges, toe drags, & shooting accuracy mirror one another.

(Audio NSFW)

Last edited:
Zed Williams is overrated

He was insanely talented but inconsistent in college. Thought he had a great senior year. He is really finding his stride in the pros and is currently one of the best players in the indoor game.