Chat with Dave Rahme tonight (Monday 8/29) at 8pm | Syracusefan.com

Chat with Dave Rahme tonight (Monday 8/29) at 8pm

GoSU96

Living Legend
8 to 9.

You guys that know the rules, follow them. Those that don't, look for Tomcat's instructions.

Please no cross talk. Get in line, no shoving, and wait until you are called on. (Barrel that's for you).

Will there be a transcript available afterward?

Still out of power in ct would appreciate a transcript as well. Thanks!

Still out of power in ct would appreciate a transcript as well. Thanks!

Yeah, same boat. My verizon air card sucks the life out of the laptop battery, but hopefully can attend for a little while. Transcript would be much appreciated. Or even better, getting my power restored would be much more appreciated.

There will definitely be a transcript, provided it is okayed by Dave. Restoring power will be a more challenging issue. This script is powerful, but I am not sure it can do WarGames type stuff.

Same boat for me, the county I live in was absolutely crushed. Can't even leave my town, the school I work at 15 miles away I have no idea when school will even be able to reopen. The whole town was half under water

Go - Pardon my ignorance. How do I submit a question? Where is the Chat location on the site?

Lower left hand corner of home page. The popup link gives you a bigger windows to work with.

It's not showing on my iPad. Do I need to upgrade or something?

Here's the transcript. Tomcat, feel free to post in separate thread.

Upstate: WILL THE NEW STARTERS' ATHLETICISM MAKE UP FOR THE LACK OF EXPERIENCE, ESPECIALLY IN THE DEFENSIVE BACK 7?
DaveR52: Upstate: Eventually, yes. But to assume they can step right in and perform like veterans flies in the face of common sense. If SU were playing another team in the same situation we would all be drooling at the prospects of scorching the back 7. Do the coaches love Davis and all the young DBs? Yep. Do they think they can step right in and perform at the same level as last year's veteran group? I think not.
GoSU96: Follow up to your story, is Nassib really poised to be the next top line QB?

DaveR52: Everything I saw in camp says he has the physical tools. Remember, I was allowed to watch entire practices through the ED scrimmage. What I saw was a poised, veteran QB who made all the reads and throws and was in total command of the offense. How that translates into the lights being on Thursday is why they play the game, but that is what I saw.

cuseclappy: DAVE RECENTLY IT WAS SAID MICHAEL ACCHIONE HAS MADE A PUSH FOR PLAYING TIME..DOES THIS SPEAK HIGHER OF HIM OR THAT OUR FROSH WR'S ARE NOT READY?

DaveR52: Thanks for this commercial break. I wrote an Acchione story for tomorrow's paper. His is a great story, one of dedication, determination and never say die. He is a senior who has never missed a practice, off-season workout or chance to stay late and work with the QBs. He knows the offense inside out. He never misses an assignment. He catches everything, even with Shamarko or Phillip lining him up. He will play and everyone here should celebrate that face because he is us if we had the nads and iron will to pursue the dream.

OrangePA: Tell us about Kinder's develpment and chances for play?

DaveR52: Orange: I think the coaches are disappointed in John right now. I think his performance in camp was very uneven. I was hoping he would take the No. 2 job from Loeb in camp, but he never really threatened. That noted, he made some nice decisions and throws in the ED scrimmage, so maybe his stock is rebounding. Coaches love consistency over "flashes" (God help me for using that word. John needs consistency.

Cuseman78: To me, The two most interesting aspects of the released 2 deep were that Keon Lyn was 2nd string and Coker wasn't listed. Is Lyns strictly injury related (even though Doug said in the presser that both he and Phil were ready to go) or did he get Wally Pipp'd by Rishard? And do we take it as a good sign that Cam Lynch is backing up at OLB and not Coker?

DaveR52: OK, here goes, and remember: This is JMO. Lyn missed a lot of time. I'm not sure he's quite ready. I do not think he has been pipped. I think the coaches love him. He is the most athletic DB they have when healthy. As for Coker, the kid hits like a freight train (he has the gift), so something is holding him back. I'm not going to say what. Just look at his circumstances, being moved from the Mike outside. Think about it and you'll get a clue.

MarronesPlan: DAVE, ARE WE UNDER-ESTIMATING THE LOSS OF DELONE CARTER? CAN HIS PRODUCTION BE REPLACED OR ARE WE IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING?

DaveR52: Interestiing question. DC was a brute, biggest biceps I've ever seen on a back and I've been working on mine for 20 years! But he was a power, downhill runner. I believe Antwon is a more versatile back, a better receiver and a better pass protector. How's that for going out on a limb? If I had to choose a an off-tackle back I take DC every day. If I have to choose a back an opposing D has no idea how to game plan I take AB every day.

Finwad32: I'VE SEEN THE TWO-DEEP AND READ THE ARTICLES ON OUR FRESH FACES THAT HAVE A CHANCE TO PLAY IN SIGNIFICANT ROLES THIS YEAR, MY QUESTION IS DO WE SEE REDDISH OR CRUME ON THE FIELD IN PRESSURE SITUATIONS ON THURSDAY NIGHT (NOT B/C OF INJURY)? FURTHERMORE: AMEEN-MOORE OR SMITH (OR EITHER) IN SHORT YARDAGE?

DaveR52: Reddish I would say no, barring injury. Coaches love him, but that's asking an awful lot at that position. Crume is more likely. He is going to be SU's best interior lineman . . . soon! Ameen-Moore and Smith are either/or. Jerome had a great camp, but Moore is a train. DM thinks the team needs four backs to get through a season. I would love to see Adonis come in at 230 or so and start fresh and in shape, but I'm not the coach.

SUFan44: You've been around the football team for a number of years now. Having seen the players Marrone has brought in over the past three years, what is your impression of the recruiting he has been able to do thus far in his tenure, and how would you assess this group of first-year players to the last few years?

DaveR52: The million-dollar question. First, let me make this abundantly clear: DM has the attention of most recruits contacted, including the big ones. That wasn't the case a few years ago. Biggest negative recruiting tool used against SU these days: the fan base. Sorry, but there it is. Now, as for the recruits. I don't pay much attention to "stars" so I have no idea where this one stacks up. I will say this latest class is longer, faster and more athletic than the previous two. It is the old method of identifying athletes and developing them into football players. That is where they are right now. Once a big prospect asks about actual fans in the stands it is pretty much over.

TexanMark: Dave: A slightly Off Topic Question: I was wondering how much inspiration Nolan and you get from reading this board (and the old Scout Board) for some story ideas? I figure 200 eyeballs are better than 4. And do you guys read Orangeyes' links? Oh BTW, you are invited to our pregame tailgate before the Tulane Game in New Orleans.

DaveR52: I've said it before and I'll restate it here. If I was aware of several hundred diehard SU football fans out there discussing serious football issues involving the team and I was not interested tapping into that resoruce I should be ashamed of myself. This is a great resource for me, which is why I am here. The hardest part is to read opinions presented as fact that I know to be false but refrain from chiming in. After all, it is a discussion board.

44PRIDE: Thanks for doing this Dave. You've seen goggins practice for 2 years now. no doubt that his development has grown in year two. but has he really developed into a legit D1 talent (as we have read) that can anchor the middle? Or is he still just a big body that hits hard? Whats the real deal with him?

DaveR52: The real deal imo is Jekyl and Hyde. I love this kid because as a journalist he is great copy, very eloquent and outgoing. I've seen him dominate at times and disappear at others. Why that is is beyond me. He has been given the chance to dominate. Let's see what he does with it.

orangemass: Hi Dave Great job during the pre-season... In your opinion, if Nassib goes down is Charlie Loeb capable of leading the Orange to W's?

DaveR52: Orangemass: I honestly don't know. Everybody loves the backup QB, but I just don't think his field vision is all that great, and I don't know how you learn that. He sure throws a nice deep ball, though. There is nothing concrete that makes me feel the way I do. There is just something there. I will say this: If Nasib goes down, the offense doesn't change. If Nassib and Loeb go down, I'm not so sure.

MassOrange: ARE WE DONE SEEING A-LIST TEAMS COME TO THE DOME (BESIDES OUR OWN)? THANKS FOR TAKING OUR ?S

DaveR52: Mass orange: I sure hope not. I'm not a fan of playing big-time games at Giants Stadium. Nobody asked me, though.

Tradition: I think “technician” was how you described Macky. What have you seen from him in the practices? How’s he done against our DL? How does the first team OL look with him in there?

DaveR52: Great feet and form. Has the ability to drop his hips but mantain strength and balance while driving up into DL. Fast enough to make shotgun snap and then pull around end ala a guard. Didn't see him overmatched in camp at all. Finally, toughest player on the team. If his last name was Jones everybody would be in his corner. As for the OL in general, preseason camp is so, so hard to get a handle on an OL because the defense tends to have the upper hand. It simply knows all the plays the O is running and knows all the checks and audibles. That noted, I like the starting five a lot. Just cross your fingers and pray there are no serious injuries.

GoSU96: If this has been asked already, please skip, can Crume be an inside stopper this year?

DaveR52: Sorry, I thought I hit that one ealier. Eric Crume will be the best interior lineman on the team before long. You have to see it to believe it, and a lot of it will be anonymous anyway, but the kid is as wide as he is tall and yet has a great first step. His push into the backfield is impressive for a player his size and age. He is not content to tie up opposing OL. He wants to run over them

DaveR52: Remember, I said Gulley reminded me of James Mungro last season (still does, maybe even more) so take my superlatives regarding youngsters like Crume with a grain of optimistic salt.

svennyi: Dave, what kind of impact if any has the defensive coach realignment had on practice and do you see this as a pre-emptive move for cover of coaches leaving (e.g. – Brumbaugh)

DaveR52: Tom, I have time for more if you do. I have no idea about any strategy involved and I know some here wanted a guy with more Eastern recruiting ties than Tim Daoust, but let me tell you this: When it comes to nonstop energy and technical knowledge of coaching the DE position (and several others, too), this guy is a HUGE asset. Billy Fucillo HUGE. I have never even spoken to him (I cover lax in the spring and concenrated on the offense in camp), so don't think I'm kissing up to a new pal. I'm telling you, this guy is old school all the way. Whatever he takes every morning, I'd wish he'd sell me some.

AgentOrange: HEY DAVE, THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANSWERING THESE...WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN ON THURSDAY NIGHT? SINCE COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT THE MATCHUPS AND WAKE FORREST HAS LEGIT SPEED, ARE THEY LIKELY TO UPSET THE ORANGE?

DaveR52: If I knew the answer to that I wouldn't be writing, blogging, tweeting, web-camming, facebooking . . . for a 25 percent pay cut! Coaches are a paranoid bunch to begin with, but nothing makes them more paranoid than opening day and NO CURRENT TAPE TO DISSECT!! So, if you listen to Doug Marrone these days you better believe Wake has stupendous size, speed, multiplicity of schemes, brilliant coaches . . . you get the picture. My opinion? There is not one team save Rhode Island any SU fan should look at and plan on a W. There is no one team save USC (brilliant scheduling move there) any SU fan should look at and plan for a L. That is really how I feel. So in that context I believe turnovers, special teams, big plays and the ability to prevent them will decide the outcome of Thursday's game.

OrangePA: Sorry, this is not a question per se, but before he leaves, can Dave explain what he meant a few moments ago regarding DM and recruits - did he mean that the head coach has their attention or they have his attention? I didn't understand the observation.

DaveR52: PA: I meant recruits who once dismissed SU out of hand due to the abyss it was in no longer feel that way about the program. All opposing recruiters had to do was point to SU's record from 2005-08 and the discussion was over. Now they are interested.

sutomcat: Dave, thanks much for a great chat and the outstanding coverage we have come to expect from you and the rest of the PS crew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom