Chief's Stadium Rated Worst in IL | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Chief's Stadium Rated Worst in IL

That wasn't what the plan was. The plan was, as least as I remember it, to use the area between roughly Seymour and Fabius, West St and Onondaga Creek and close some of the streets to get the real estate needed. A big part of the land was/is occupied by Rescue Mission buildings.
The parking lot was to remain a parking lot.

Roughly the area shown below...
View attachment 133593

The neighborhoods are sooooo bad to the west of it. That’s a concern.

The neighborhoods are sooooo bad to the west of it. That’s a concern.

Yeah, I'm very comfortable as a rah-rah urban development guy here. But it's pretty rough over there. Not that there aren't good things happening (the West Onondaga Street Alliance has made some strides, and while we're on the topic, Salt City Coffee is worth a visit), but the street population there would make some people think twice about attending games. And walkability is still kind of limited by the safety perception - it's centrally located and there's sidewalks, but I don't know if too many Tipp Hill or Strathmore residents would suddenly be walking to ballgames.

Yeah, I'm very comfortable as a rah-rah urban development guy here. But it's pretty rough over there. Not that there aren't good things happening (the West Onondaga Street Alliance has made some strides, and while we're on the topic, Salt City Coffee is worth a visit), but the street population there would make some people think twice about attending games. And walkability is still kind of limited by the safety perception - it's centrally located and there's sidewalks, but I don't know if too many Tipp Hill or Strathmore residents would suddenly be walking to ballgames.

I agree and love seeing areas redevelop, but that’s one spot that’s tough, I’ve driven quite a bit since I moved back, that area, and the south side are outright scary.

I agree and love seeing areas redevelop, but that’s one spot that’s tough, I’ve driven quite a bit since I moved back, that area, and the south side are outright scary.

On one hand its proximity to downtown is a big plus (way less hopeless than parts of the south side, IMO), but the Rescue Mission campus is a problem. Don't get me wrong, they do fantastic and necessary work that no other neighborhood (or village or suburban town) is currently supporting at that scale. But it's a magnet for street people and the criminals who prey on or sell to street people. It's a tough situation.

Hows the coffee there? I grab my beans from Kind Coffee Company on west fayette, and Hyman Smith

Between Kirkpatrick and Bear? Pyramid shell companies own that big block.

Nothing's happening at Kennedy Square while Upstate bogs itself down in personnel problems...could still be on the table for a stadium site, though that might not still be the case when a new stadium is actually needed.

Yeah I meant to say Pyramid, not the state. That's the piece of land that Pyramid moves dirt around on once a year so that they can maintain ownership or some sort of tax break, right?

The Kennedy Square site would be a far better site for a baseball stadium than a football stadium. That would probably get my vote if something were ever to come to fruition (doubtful anytime soon).

I’ve always said, you know how DC folks freak out at the slightest bit of snow? Syracusans are exactly like that with traffic.

I'm definitely far removed now. Because yes, I tend to freak out at the slightest bit of snow.

Hows the coffee there? I grab my beans from Kind Coffee Company on west fayette, and Hyman Smith

Keep in mind, I'm simple with coffee (if it keeps me awake, it's great!), but I think it's good. Nice bagels, too.

Yeah I meant to say Pyramid, not the state. That's the piece of land that Pyramid moves dirt around on once a year so that they can maintain ownership or some sort of tax break, right?

The Kennedy Square site would be a far better site for a baseball stadium than a football stadium. That would probably get my vote if something were ever to come to fruition (doubtful anytime soon).

Quick check of tax records shows that yet another company with a 4 Clinton Square address owns the bus garage site, as well. Guess they're leasing it. Pyramid's sure got a nice game going, boxing out all potential competition while holding the option of cashing out when the land values have increased.

It would be a bold move. Risk would be involved. Absolutely.

But if you want to effect the true and meaningful change that should come with an investment of taxpayer dollars of $25-50 million, this is where you should build the ballpark.

Armory Square is a great story but you hit the train tracks and Onondaga Creek and the wonderful turnaround ends. We as forward thinkers who love the city need to come up with ways to expand the rebirth of the city and break through the barriers holding it back.

This kind of an investment would give that neighborhood a chance. It could make a huge impact on the city. The potential benefits outweigh the risk.

But if you want to effect the true and meaningful change that should come with an investment of taxpayer dollars of $25-50 million, this is where you should build the ballpark.

Armory Square is a great story but you hit the train tracks and Onondaga Creek and the wonderful turnaround ends. We as forward thinkers who love the city need to come up with ways to expand the rebirth of the city and break through the barriers holding it back.

This kind of an investment would give that neighborhood a chance. It could make a huge impact on the city. The potential benefits outweigh the risk.

Tom you have put more thought into this thread than I put into my actual job today.

Quick check of tax records shows that yet another company with a 4 Clinton Square address owns the bus garage site, as well. Guess they're leasing it. Pyramid's sure got a nice game going, boxing out all potential competition while holding the option of cashing out when the land values have increased.

Not surprising. I thought I had heard several years ago that the bus company was supposed to be relocating elsewhere.

Interesting idea Tom and I share your thoughts that the current stadium set up is far from ideal. However, that area around the rescue mission for a stadium will never happen and would be DOA if someone attempted it. That area and the surrounding blocks are unfortunately some of the worst in the entire city, even the low cost supermarket Nojams that was there has left. Even if the city/county/state spent millions to somehow find a way to put a stadium there (not to mention fine the necessary parking) the place would be a ghost town. Forget walking around down there most people from the suburbs don't even want to drive through that area. It would be a disaster.

Just posted something similar, agree with your thoughts. The areas reputation and ongoing issues make the walkability very limited. There's also not much going on around that area itself even though armory and the Hotel Syracuse are somewhat close were not talking about walking from the fine lot to the Dome.

Interesting idea Tom and I share your thoughts that the current stadium set up is far from ideal. However, that area around the rescue mission for a stadium will never happen and would be DOA if someone attempted it. That area and the surrounding blocks are unfortunately some of the worst in the entire city, even the low cost supermarket Nojams that was there has left. Even if the city/county/state spent millions to somehow find a way to put a stadium there (not to mention fine the necessary parking) the place would be a ghost town. Forget walking around down there most people from the suburbs don't even want to drive through that area. It would be a disaster.

I don't disagree that it is a troubled area, but Nojaims went out of business because Price Rite opened up down the road (with taxpayer incentives) and priced them out of the market.

I don't disagree that it is a troubled area, but Nojaims went out of business because Price Rite opened up down the road (with taxpayer incentives) and priced them out of the market.

Yes that is true, hard to believe that could force them out but it did.

If you are going to make a massive investment, do it where it can do the most good.

https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/wilcher_seth_a_200912_mhp.pdf

San Diego Ballpark Neighborhood Revitalization | ULI Case Studies

New ballpark only the start of economic rebirth in SF's South of Market neighborhood - Smart Business Magazine

Downtown Toledo's Minor League Mojo - CityLab

Nationals Park transformed Navy Yard, for better and worse