Chip Kelly has so far only taken one assistant... | Syracusefan.com

Chip Kelly has so far only taken one assistant...

supp

Hall of Fame
from Oregon. The other three assistants reported were GAs that will fill quality control positions with the Eagles. All the other assistants hired were from other NFL teams or from other colleges. We know for sure that Oregon will experience less disruption than we have. It will be interesting to see if Kelly's hiring model proves a more successful in the NFL one over time.

This isn't directed specifically to you, just a general comment...

1) Some of you act like Marrone took these assistants at gunpoint. Obviously they wanted to go. Are we mad at them too?

2) Marrone's obligation is to his employer and he needs to do everything he can to be successful...otherwise he'll be fired within 3 years if he's not successful. This isn't tee-ball tryouts or something. It's as high stakes as it gets. He needs to bring the best assistants he can get. Do we really think he should be more worried about leaving coaches for SU(who will leave as soon as they get a better offer), than his OWN JOB?

I really don't get why we're supposed to be mad at Marrone.

1) Some of you act like Marrone took these assistants at gunpoint. Obviously they wanted to go. Are we mad at them too?

2) Marrone's obligation is to his employer and he needs to do everything he can to be successful...otherwise he'll be fired within 3 years if he's not successful. This isn't tee-ball tryouts or something. It's as high stakes as it gets. He needs to bring the best assistants he can get. Do we really think he should be more worried about leaving coaches for SU(who will leave as soon as they get a better offer), than his OWN JOB?

I think you're looking at it from an All or None perspective, as are the people that are most ticked off at Doug. He could have taken a few assistants and not as many as he did. As I posted last week, the breaking point for me was when he took Hal Luther. Really? The S&T coach? A little over the top, I think.

That being said... it's a free market. You're right about that.

I think you're looking at it from an All or None perspective, as are the people that are most ticked off at Doug. He could have taken a few assistants and not as many as he did. As I posted last week, the breaking point for me was when he took Hal Luther. Really? The S&T coach? A little over the top, I think.

That being said... it's a free market. You're right about that.

I don't see the big deal with that either though. He needs to get the best staff for him that he can get. If the guys that he's worked with at Cuse are the best he can get and are the guys he wants, then go for it.

If we had canned Marrone like many wanted to at some point, those assistants would be gone anyway.

Maybe because it's new to many to have a Syracuse coach leave for the pros(last time was 23 years ago), people aren't used to this and are flipping out? I don't know. The whole reaction has been weird to me. Usually when a coach leaves and a new one takes over, there's a lot of staff turnover isn't there?

They took the job but he didn't have to offer them it. If he believes that this is the only way to success for himself and the Bills, so be it. But that aim also runs up against his stated desire to do whatever he can to ensure the future success of Syracuse football. Obviously that means substantially less to him than he's made out. And I'm not convinced that the path that Marrone has taken is the best way to ensure his success with the Bills but we'll see about that. There are plenty of qualified coaches out there that would jump at the chance of coaching in the pros. I don't think that he had to do it this way but he did.

Yes, this is a business and Marrone's only real obligation is to his current employer. However, we need to remember that Marrone didn't just help SU so we should just "forgive and forget." That attitude is harder for me to adopt because of what Syracuse gave him. Does he have a NFL HC job without Syracuse hiring him? I don't know. Maybe. But it's hard to question that his stop here didn't help his coaching career. Maybe it's just me, but as a former coach and more importantly as a former player, I think he owes this program a little more respect than he's given it.

Because he was dishonest to his alma mater that he professese so much love to. Kelly could take every assistant, it's apples and oranges.

I don't see the big deal with that either though. He needs to get the best staff for him that he can get. If the guys that he's worked with at Cuse are the best he can get and are the guys he wants, then go for it.

If we had canned Marrone like many wanted to at some point, those assistants would be gone anyway.

Maybe because it's new to many to have a Syracuse coach leave for the pros(last time was 23 years ago), people aren't used to this and are flipping out? I don't know. The whole reaction has been weird to me. Usually when a coach leaves and a new one takes over, there's a lot of staff turnover isn't there?

No, I remember Coach Mac leaving and I didn't have the same reaction. It's the duplicity that burns me. He sold the fans (and the admins) on the continuity plan and then he proceeded to run off with everything that wasn't nailed down.

from Oregon. The other three assistants reported were GAs that will fill quality control positions with the Eagles. All the other assistants hired were from other NFL teams or from other colleges. We know for sure that Oregon will experience less disruption than we have. It will be interesting to see if Kelly's hiring model proves a more successful in the NFL one over time.

What a great guy.

I'm sure the circumstances are exactly the same.

Chip is going to take the OC that is being promoted. He's just waiting for him to agree to a contract with the school before he snatches him up.

It boils down to this: he said he wouldn't, he did. It's over.

And there has been a lot of talk that we may have addition by subtraction with this new staff. I'd rather focus on that, honestly.

Just like Marrone had a knack for finding diamonds in the rough recruiting wise, perhaps the same can be said for his coaching staff in Buffalo. There is something to be said about having a good chemistry within your coaching staff. DM brought these guys in, except for Luther, and clearly saw something in them that he thought was better than other options out there. One can think that some of these weren't his 1st or 2nd options, but no one truly knows for sure. He might think that all of these guys are great coaches and will help him put out a great product on the field. He ultimately makes his own bed and will either thrive or starve because of many of these decisions.

It boils down to this: he said he wouldn't, he did. It's over.

And there has been a lot of talk that we may have addition by subtraction with this new staff. I'd rather focus on that, honestly.

Me too.

And I doubt too many here know exactly what he said, and I don't really care to follow some version of "telephone" either. We also don't know the circumstances. Maybe he whiffed on some of his other choices, so he went for coaches that he knew he could get.

But I like the sounds of our staff now. Marrone did a solid job while here, and I think Shafer will too. I'm not mad.

I'm not mad at Marrone, I'm excited to see what this staff does. I am embarrassed and disappointed for him and the moves he made. First, from the perspective that he said he was going to get, but did not get (could not get?) NFL experienced and qualified personnel for the Bills. Second, from the perspective that he said he would do everything he could to ensure SU ended up in as good a position as it could with him leaving and he said SU would maintain continuity, but clearly did everything he could to dismantle the program's coaching staff and make it impossible to foster continuity.

With all of htat said, I truly believe that the staff is better right now than it was before. This staff hasn't coached a game yet, so this is all speculation and we'll see come fall or more likely 3 years from now in the fall just like Marrone's staff had time to get integrated. I'm willing to bet, though, that recruiting will be better and that team performance will be better. This isn't a perenial 10 win team's staff that got taken away. There was a lot of room for improvement. I liked the previous staff and this year's team and their achievements. But I like the new staff a lot more and I'm so looking forward to this year's signing day, the fall, and next year's signing day to see what they can do.