Chris Bell looks to be coming back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell looks to be coming back

I went in thinking that we will lose 1 or 2 of our 5 forwards and he was the one I was most comfortable letting go. Will be interesting how it shakes out. If he stays he better get to work and not on his jump shot.
Weight rm and get tougher

Or not, given that it hasn't developed to date, and these limitations were in the scouting report from when we first began recruiting him.

I like his potential as a shooter, but he's subpar with respect to anything else. Not sure how this can be disputed / denied.

Would be fine if he were on the bench and if he works on expanding his game and can do those other things consistently, I think he could be a fine bench player.

I don't expect him in the starting lineup next fall. Just my guess. No inside info.

yeah I feel like both he and Benny will do better with a Red type coach than with a JB type coach
Red was the position coach for both. And both improved with JB/Red. Both should continue to improve year over year. Bell - like many SU skinny forwards - needs to get stronger.

Still, Red needs portal help at forward. There should be plenty of forwards better than these two.

Coach Autry at work!​

72612789-40E3-4E36-BD3B-4711FB0462E5.png

Or not, given that it hasn't developed to date, and these limitations were in the scouting report from when we first began recruiting him.

I like his potential as a shooter, but he's subpar with respect to anything else. Not sure how this can be disputed / denied.
I said it can, not that it necessarily will. I'll roll the dice with a tall guy with a great shot

I said it can, not that it necessarily will. I'll roll the dice with a tall guy with a great shot

Shooting is good.

But what I'm talking about is whether he's too one-dimensional to be anything more than a bit player. Which is valid, given that he doesn't rebound, put the ball on the floor, pass, etc.

Shooting is good.

But what I'm talking about is whether he's too one-dimensional to be anything more than a bit player. Which is valid, given that he doesn't rebound, put the ball on the floor, pass, etc.

With a mtm system that will get exposed quickly though too.. which means splinter time. We will need a flame thrower from deep so if he can bring up the other parts to par he can add good value. I think another shot at it is a fair option but just zero promises on PT or in not adding competition and depth via the portal.

With a mtm system that will get exposed quickly though too.. which means splinter time. We will need a flame thrower from deep so if he can bring up the other parts to par he can add good value. I think another shot at it is a fair option but just zero promises on PT or in not adding competition and depth via the portal.

Agreed. What I'm able to infer about how Red intends to use personnel and what he's looking for -- less specialization, more in-your-shorts defense, versatility.

I don't know what direction the program is headed but why would they recruit him then?

I find it hard to believe they only recruited guys Jim wanted. Assistants usually bring the names and the head guy signs off.

Bell has the best looking jumper we've seen on the hill in years next to Buddy's. The other stuff doesn't actually require talent. It's more effort, learning and being physical.

I don't know what direction the program is headed but why would they recruit him then?

I find it hard to believe they only recruited guys Jim wanted. Assistants usually bring the names and the head guy signs off.

Bell has the best looking jumper we've seen on the hill in years next to Buddy's. The other stuff doesn't actually require talent. It's more effort, learning and being physical.

The highlighted section is exactly what happened under JB. He's nixed dozens of players this group of AC's brought to him in recent years.

Look -- Bell has value. But he is also one-dimensional. That's been the book on him at the high school level, and we saw evidence of it last year in how he played.

I remember people on the forum getting agitated when I characterized Bell as a non-rebounder after he committed here, insisting that it would change once JB got on him. And here we are having the same conversations again, a year later. He is what he is.

Last edited:
He needs to get tougher and learn how to rebound, but his natural shooting ability + height is a huge asset for us going forward. He needs virtually no space to get his shot off.
Another year of weight training will help that

How many times are we going to say this about a player before we just stop?
new coach, new direction? Has JAB ever been big on strength over beanpoles? I'm sure he was OK if guys wanted to get ripped on their own, but I don't think it was a point of emphasis like at other programs.

Not to rain on CB's parade, but I wonder if he's too one-dimensional for the direction the program is headed.
I think he has potential to really become a good player. He is young and needs time. Look at Benny he seems to finally be making good progress. I actually like both of these kids and think they will do well next year

I actually think Bell is better in the open floor on the break as well, he’s got some bounce & has some Euro step elements/finishes to his game… I wonder if we see greater returns & higher percentages from him if we’re as “space & pace” oriented as I hope we are with Coach Autry.

Last edited:
The highlighted section is exactly what happened under JB. He's nixed dozens of players this group of AC's brought to him in recent years.

Not necessarily disputing this, but why would he do that? If the response is because the player wasn't a good fit for the zone, I will reject that. It's not like the assistants didn't know the guys they recommended would have to play zone. I find it hard to believe they would repeatedly bring forward players who they knew wouldn't be able to play the system their head coach and mentor was world famous for.

Bell has talent/potential. Many have mentioned he needs to familiarize himself with the weight room.
6'7" 180 lbs? Gotta find 10 lbs. in 7 months.
But we did see a few blocks and jams in open court situations. And that was PART of the problem this season. With JBs style, the court was RARELY open. As a freshman, both on offense and defense, he was NOT ready for half court ball. Put him in more of an up tempo offense creating more opportunities and we're going to see a more confident player.

In Red's system, and just a guess based on tidbits and the Baylor reference, his game should be that Mayer kid who is at Illinois this year.
Is there any possibility that he could transition to a 2 guard? Obviously ball handling would need improvement, etc.

Is there any possibility that he could transition to a 2 guard? Obviously ball handling would need improvement, etc.

I don't see it. He can play with two ball handlers but he is as comfortable on the ball as Southerland was. Pump fake dribble into mid range, feeding the post or a straight line layup or dunk. Everything else is catch and shoot.

If he stays I trust its because the new staff sees a role for him. Otherwise I imagine they'd let him know that he's not in their plans.

Maybe he can fill the role I wish JG could have filled the past 4 years. That being a microwave gunner option off the bench. He's either on and gets minutes, or is off and sits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom