Chris Slayton and Steven Clark | Syracusefan.com

Chris Slayton and Steven Clark

Don

2nd String
Seriously are these the two best young Defensive linemen this program has had at one time since the 90,s? Power , speed , they both have it all. They just look and feel like potential all Acc lineman. If we can get solid contributions from then DE spots so these two can really show what they can do I think the results are going to be great. I,m really looking forward to the new offense but I also am looking forward to watching these 2 progress together to build that wall up front.

Seriously are these the two best young Defensive linemen this program has had at one time since the 90,s? Power , speed , they both have it all. They just look and feel like potential all Acc lineman. If we can get solid contributions from then DE spots so these two can really show what they can do I think the results are going to be great. I,m really looking forward to the new offense but I also am looking forward to watching these 2 progress together to build that wall up front.
The 2001 team had future NFL Hall of Famer Dwight Freeney on the team, as well as Josh Thomas, who played in the NFL for a couple of years. Freeney was arguably the best player in college football that season.

The 2009 team had Arthur Jones, who was a senior that year, and Chandler Jones, who was a sophomore. Both are long time starters in the NFL. Chandler is one of the top pass rushers in the league.

So no, while Slayton and Clark are very promising young players, they are not remotely close to being the top 2 DL on a Syracuse team since the 1990s. They may, however, belong in the conversation in 2 or 3 years...

I think both guys have NFL potential. I just hope our team improves enough in the next 2-3 years to truly showcase them, so they get the props they deserve come draft time.

Libero2 said:
I think both guys have NFL potential. I just hope our team improves enough in the next 2-3 years to truly showcase them, so they get the props they deserve come draft time.

The NFL finds good players on P5 rosters. But I don't think improvement over the next 2 years will be a problem.

The 2001 team had future NFL Hall of Famer Dwight Freeney on the team, as well as Josh Thomas, who played in the NFL for a couple of years. Freeney was arguably the best player in college football that season.

The 2009 team had Arthur Jones, who was a senior that year, and Chandler Jones, who was a sophomore. Both are long time starters in the NFL. Chandler is one of the top pass rushers in the league.

So no, while Slayton and Clark are very promising young players, they are not remotely close to being the top 2 DL on a Syracuse team since the 1990s. They may, however, belong in the conversation in 2 or 3 years...
A completely fair and accurate assessment. Very difficult to say that either Steven or Chris are All-ACC or NFL material based on a single year's body of work.

My concern is depth. Stephen & Chris will certainly anchor the DL but they need backup and a supporting cast of characters on the ends...otherwise we are in trouble.

For backup - I've seen Samuels but what about RF Cross the kid from GA? Not much mention about him this spring. Did I forget anyone else on the interior?

Players on the ends? Do we have 2 good DE starters & 2 more supporting backup players or are we really weak in this position? Or do we just lack experience? Do we have anyone coming in to start right away (didn't we get a JUCO or grad transfer)?

I'm asking because I haven't been able to follow the progress this spring due to work. My hope is that these kids especially on the ends step up, learn the new defense and are hungry to earn the right to start. Go Orange!

My concern is depth. Stephen & Chris will certainly anchor the DL but they need backup and a supporting cast of characters on the ends...otherwise we are in trouble.

For backup - I've seen Samuels but what about RF Cross the kid from GA? Not much mention about him this spring. Did I forget anyone else on the interior?

Players on the ends? Do we have 2 good DE starters & 2 more supporting backup players or are we really weak in this position? Or do we just lack experience? Do we have anyone coming in to start right away (didn't we get a JUCO or grad transfer)?

I'm asking because I haven't been able to follow the progress this spring due to work. My hope is that these kids especially on the ends step up, learn the new defense and are hungry to earn the right to start. Go Orange!
Not worried about the interior DT positions at all. We have Steven, Chris, Kayton, Ty, and Anthony. They'll be able to spell each other during a game. DE? That's the unknown. Things will shake out more during the summer, then we can determine whether or not to freak out.

I think we'll be solid inside. Lots of potential there, but there will likely be some inconsistency because we are relying on young players. I'm confident they're the right young players to be relying on though.

The Sherrod pickup was huge. Hopefully that settles another quarter of the line. We find another competent DE and some semi-decent backups and we should have a decent unit. The year after the group could be really good as they continue growing.

I think we'll be solid inside. Lots of potential there, but there will likely be some inconsistency because we are relying on young players. I'm confident they're the right young players to be relying on though.

The Sherrod pickup was huge. Hopefully that settles another quarter of the line. We find another competent DE and some semi-decent backups and we should have a decent unit. The year after the group could be really good as they continue growing.
Agreed. This gives us one solid guy that we think can get to the QB. Now the quest is on to find a backup for Sherrod and a second threat/complementary player on the other side to prevent him from being doubled.

Last edited:
Chris Slayton & Steve Clark = Bruce Clark & Matt Millen

Total DL domination...

Not worried about the interior DT positions at all. We have Steven, Chris, Kayton, Ty, and Anthony. They'll be able to spell each other during a game. DE? That's the unknown. Things will shake out more during the summer, then we can determine whether or not to freak out.

Immediately this popped in my head...
c3bfbc7743f422d7f4633e461fc41bc7.jpg

Ruff wont be the only freshman DE's to make an impact at that position. I bet Nelson will be in on passing situations.
Quite likely so.

Regardless, there's plenty of time between now and the beginning of the season. I'm confident that the coaches and staff will get everyone up to speed physically and mentally.

Quite likely so.

Regardless, there's plenty of time between now and the beginning of the season. I'm confident that the coaches and staff will get everyone up to speed physically and mentally.
How is Steven's training regimen changing with the shift in defensive strategy? After seeing how the new coaches work, what's his take?

How is Steven's training regimen changing with the shift in defensive strategy? After seeing how the new coaches work, what's his take?
It's pretty much the same as it's been since the new S&C coach came aboard.

Kinda did a bit of research on Arthur Jones's career at Syracuse; also Jay Bromley's career. In all honesty, Chris and Steven put up freshman stats similar to both Arthur and Jay. So, while it's still too early to say for sure that they're epic studs, the initial trending looks good.

Kinda did a bit of research on Arthur Jones's career at Syracuse; also Jay Bromley's career. In all honesty, Chris and Steven put up freshman stats similar to both Arthur and Jay. So, while it's still too early to say for sure that they're epic studs, the initial trending looks good.
Agreed.

I did some deep fan research (which includes cold beverages, plenty of food, a comfortable chair/sofa, watching football and yelling at the refs) and they pass the eye test.

On the serious side, I am glad we have these two and am excited for who we have coming in. Comments I have read from the players seem to indicate they are more pumped up for this season than for last season. When players are up on their teammates and trust their teammates to do their job, each plays better, without hesitation or caution, holding back to assist the other guy instead of going full bore on their assignment. I am encouraged that though we have a young line, they believe they can do the job. What was looking like a potential weakness is becoming a strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom