Christian White (transfer from Monmouth) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Christian White (transfer from Monmouth)

If he is a walk-on then what does he sign as in "Proud to officially announce I have signed and will continue to play basketball at Syracuse University!! " A walk on only has to be attending school. What papers does he sign?

From the PS article,

"Syracuse has two unexpected scholarships available for this season because underclassmen Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis declared for the NBA Draft...White could spend 2014-15 on scholarship while he sits out this season because of NCAA transfer rules. Next year, he could be asked to pay his own way."

Maybe he did sign a scholarship? I wonder why they wouldn't reward a current walk-on with a scholarship for next season though.

If he is a walk-on then what does he sign as in "Proud to officially announce I have signed and will continue to play basketball at Syracuse University!! " A walk on only has to be attending school. What papers does he sign?

According to the syracuse.com, he might be on scholarship for the 14-15 year (Hi APR!), and then a walk-on for his final two years.

From the PS article,

"Syracuse has two unexpected scholarships available for this season because underclassmen Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis declared for the NBA Draft...White could spend 2014-15 on scholarship while he sits out this season because of NCAA transfer rules. Next year, he could be asked to pay his own way."

Maybe he did sign a scholarship? I wonder why they wouldn't reward a current walk-on with a scholarship for next season though.

Isn't Nassar the only returning walk-on? He could get the other one in that case..

If the kid can be a pest on defense harassing our ballhandlers ala Reese, it would be a good thing. I got the distinct feeling last year that our practices weren't as productive, competitive as the staff would have liked. The practice players have to imitate opponents' defenses and push their teammates to improve so hoping this kid can help do that.

King Rice got great advice from JB about heading to UNC. JB knew with Sherman that Rice wouldn't get the playing time here leveled with him and treated him fairly. JB scheduled Monmouth and obviously still has a good relationship with him - Rice must have agreed this was a good move for SU and the kid. Still can't help wondering why the kid wasn't more productive at the D2 level though.

I look at it this way, low D-1 talent is as good as it gets for the scout team. At the very least, he will be a great asset in practices. And, as some have said, his GPA might help the APR while he's on scholly next season.

My guess and its the obvious take on this situation is that they have 3 scholarships to give out this year since they under recruited, and this kid has a remote set of skills while helping syracuses APR with his 4.0 GPa

I look at it this way, low D-1 talent is as good as it gets for the scout team. At the very least, he will be a great asset in practices. And, as some have said, his GPA might help the APR while he's on scholly next season.
If he got basically forced out of Monmouth, He isnt Low D1 talent.. Monmouth played New Haven (D2, NE-10) in a exhibition last year and New Haven slapped them by 15

Last edited:
If he got basically forced out of Monmouth, He isnt Low D1 talent.. Monmouth played New Haven (D2, NE-10) in a exhibition last year and New Haven slapped them by 15

Okay, then he's 'high D2 talent.' Still pretty much as good as it gets for the practice squad.

If the kid can be a pest on defense harassing our ballhandlers ala Reese, it would be a good thing. I got the distinct feeling last year that our practices weren't as productive, competitive as the staff would have liked. The practice players have to imitate opponents' defenses and push their teammates to improve so hoping this kid can help do that.

King Rice got great advice from JB about heading to UNC. JB knew with Sherman that Rice wouldn't get the playing time here leveled with him and treated him fairly. JB scheduled Monmouth and obviously still has a good relationship with him - Rice must have agreed this was a good move for SU and the kid. Still can't help wondering why the kid wasn't more productive at the D2 level though.
Never knew that about the King and JB. Cool.

I suspect Christian knows he isn't going to play a lot here and is transferring in because down the line, he wants to coach. It will be a lot easier for him to get a job in that field if he plays at Syracuse for a couple of years.

The number of young coaches the program has produced in recent years is pretty impressive.

I hadn't considered this before, but I wonder if this is a move designed to appeal to his former high school teammate, Thomas Bryant.

They didn't play together though. TB was at Bishop Kearney and CW was at Aquinas. AQ beat BK atleast twice maybe 3 times 2 years ago. Can't remember if they faced each other in sectionals as AQ went on to win them.

They didn't play together though. TB was at Bishop Kearney and CW was at Aquinas. AQ beat BK atleast twice maybe 3 times 2 years ago. Can't remember if they faced each other in sectionals as AQ went on to win them.

Oops--my mistake.

Okay, then he's 'high D2 talent.' Still pretty much as good as it gets for the practice squad.
Absolutely! Definitely going to be a good practice player and team guy. Nothing wrong with that!

How far down has sports gone for it to be a big announcement for a kid to transfer to a school to try out as a walk on? Can a school afford to give a scholarship to a kid that will be nothing more than a bench sitter? Yeah on a year to year basis if one is laying around but to "recruit" a player like that.