Christmas, Southerland laying foundation for 2012-13 at King of Kings League | Syracusefan.com

Christmas, Southerland laying foundation for 2012-13 at King of Kings League

I fully expect Rak to make the Sophomore Leap, and if Dirty finally puts his freakish skills all together, then watch out

Southerland has BE POY potential. In fact, I'm going to make a leap and say he wins it this year.

crazy to think southerland is a senior already.

crazy to think southerland is a senior already.

IMO, the worst thing that ever happened to him was connecting on 6-6 from three point range during his first exhibition game, heading into a season where a lot of roles were unsettled. As it turns out, that team was LOADED and he didn't need to play. Would have really liked to see him redshirt.

Christmas and Southerland are our starting forwards next year.

Yeah. I said that.

Yeah. I said that.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Fair in the Waiters type role. I think Southerland is our best pure scorer and we are better off with him starting, but we'll see what JB does.

The only thing set in stone right now is a MCW/Triche backcourt.

Yeah. I said that.
that is what I have had penciled inked in since March

I'll keep on saying this, too: SU's frontline rotation of DC/Keita/Rak/Dirty/CJ will be the best in the nation by the end of the season , if not sooner (sorry, Jerami, but the line is too long and the minutes too few; your day will come)

that is what I have had penciled inked in since March

I'll keep on saying this, too: SU's frontline rotation of DC/Keita/Rak/Dirty/CJ will be the best in the nation by the end of the season , if not sooner (sorry, Jerami, but the line is too long and the minutes too few; your day will come)
That is a legit 5 deep front court.

Yeah. I said that.

No CJ? That's crazy talk. No way JB starts Southerland over CJ, unless there is a drastic step forward by Southerland, with a step back by CJ.

Jimmy has a nice 8 man rotation with the 3 guards, just like 2003. The only difference is no melo, but people keep forgetting the Oklahoma St game, without Billy Edelin we would have gone home, and Melo wouldn't have been Melo. Also the championship game the 2nd half Billy,Josh, Hak made the plays to win. Might not have the superstar, but if they all stay healthy. and no other problems 1-8 could be jimmy's best ever.

What's crazy is starting three players that can only score within 10 feet of the hoop.

Actually, both CJ & Southerland play a better game when they are putting up mid-range jumpers and rebounding. In my view, as of right now, CJ is a step ahead of Southerland in that area, and judging by minutes and stats the past two seasons, I'd say JB probably feels the same way.

I'd love for Southerland to make that leap. People have been saying he will for 3 years. We are still waiting.

Heck, I'd be happy if CJ made a leap too, for that matter.

Honestly, I like DC2 & Xmas on the inside, TC on the outside, Triche with an outside/inside game, and Southerland/CJ floating in-between. That's some seriously nice spacing. Give me that any day.

Actually, both CJ & Southerland play a better game when they are putting up mid-range jumpers and rebounding. In my view, as of right now, CJ is a step ahead of Southerland in that area,
CJ's mid range prowess is one of the great myths of Syracusefan.com

judging by minutes and stats the past two seasons, I'd say JB probably feels the same way..
judging by minutes, stats and watching the games of the past two seasons, I'd say that Dirty was a pure 3 stuck behind an all conference 3, while CJ was the best option as a 4 on the roster

and, people haven't been saying that Southerland will make the leap, we simply have been pointing out that he has the physical tools to make an impressive one once (if) he ever puts it together mentally

Actually, both CJ & Southerland play a better game when they are putting up mid-range jumpers and rebounding. In my view, as of right now, CJ is a step ahead of Southerland in that area, and judging by minutes and stats the past two seasons, I'd say JB probably feels the same way.

I'd love for Southerland to make that leap. People have been saying he will for 3 years. We are still waiting.

Heck, I'd be happy if CJ made a leap too, for that matter.

Honestly, I like DC2 & Xmas on the inside, TC on the outside, Triche with an outside/inside game, and Southerland/CJ floating in-between. That's some seriously nice spacing. Give me that any day.
You're making Fair and Dirty sound like they're much more similar players than they really are. Offensively, CJ and Rak are a lot more similar than CJ and Dirty are, and that's the problem with having both of them on the court at the same time. Defensively, I think Dirty's a bit better. Rebounding, at least on a per minute basis, is a wash.

I'm not at all bashing Fair. He's a good player that has been productive with the court time he's been given. For this team though, and this starting lineup in particular, we'll be putting ourselves in a hole if the frontline is CJ.Rak/DC.

You're making Fair and Dirty sound like they're much more similar players than they really are. Offensively, CJ and Rak are a lot more similar than CJ and Dirty are, and that's the problem with having both of them on the court at the same time. Defensively, I think Dirty's a bit better. Rebounding, at least on a per minute basis, is a wash.

I'm not at all bashing Fair. He's a good player that has been productive with the court time he's been given. For this team though, and this starting lineup in particular, we'll be putting ourselves in a hole if the frontline is CJ.Rak/DC.

My disagreement with the perspective you [and Moqui] espouse is well chronicled. Suffice it to say, I expect you'll be quite surprised with the step forward CJ takes on the developmental curve this season.

Bottom line: we need both of those forwards to take a step forward this year. And my expectation is that they both will.

Let that happen, and let the minutes fall into place.

Fair is a very good player, but James has a pure shot and incredible leaping ability that adds more range to his game. With MCW and BT both being effective getting into the lane, DC2 being a post up guy, Rak more of a garbage and hopefully some post up.. you absolutely start James to spread the floor.. use BT/James to provide shooting/spacing and let MCW feed the post or drive the lane and dish/finish. You come off the Bench with CJ to either move Rak to the 5 or bring Rak out to bring a bit more ability to attack the basket. Keita and Cooney come in to provide your depth. I like the Cooney/James on the floor together with BT, DC2 and Rak or Fair. I lean towards Rak more for offensive boards alongside DC2 with two long bombers on the outside.

As for James.. he is a better shot fake and step through to the basket and a little Rautins like footwork of the curl screen from being bigtime. He really turned a corner last year in expanding his game and coming up big in important games. CJ will continue to be a very important player but I think he should be our sixth man.

My disagreement with the perspective you [and Moqui] espouse is well chronicled. Suffice it to say, I expect you'll be quite surprised with the step forward CJ takes on the developmental curve this season.

Bottom line: we need both of those forwards to take a step forward this year. And my expectation is that they both will.

I think CJ makes a big step as well.. but he could be dynamite as a forward off the bench as Dion was a guard.

I think CJ makes a big step as well.. but he could be dynamite as a forward off the bench as Dion was a guard.

IN 2010 and 2012, one of the things that set out team apart was having scorers off of the bench that were on par with other teams' starters. I actually see Southerland as more suited for that role than CJ.

Regardless, I think CJ / Dirty will play the majority of minutes at forward this year, with the bigs rotating. Both are going to play starters minutes.

And as stated above, we need BOTH to take that next step. If they do, then what Moqui says above about us having the top frontcourt in the country is not unachieveable.

What's funny is that I'm not at all worried about the minutes. That will shake out the way it should.

Most likely is that Rak takes a step forward, but he's still fairly raw and Southerland and CJ get the majority of the minutes at forward.

I agree that both will get plenty of minutes, and I hope that their games continue to progress. Who plays and when will likely be determined by the opponent. There is no wrong answer, only a lot of unknowns.

It should be an interesting season, as I don't think an SU team has had as many unknowns in several years.

IN 2010 and 2012, one of the things that set out team apart was having scorers off of the bench that were on par with other teams' starters. I actually see Southerland as more suited for that role than CJ.
Yep.
JS would be a much more effective "Dion-like" 6th man than CJ.

I will be surprised—virtually shocked, really—if JB starts Southerland over Fair.

I think DC2 starts and Cooney comes off the bench.

It might be better to start Southerland, starting a outside shooter and bringing one off the bench.
Instead of starting two post up guys in Fair and DC2, while bringing two outside shooters in southerland and Cooney off the bench. Or it might not matter at all.

One can also argue southerland has some high post up skills and CJ developed his jumper to a much better level his sophmore year. He could develop it even more as a Jr.

I would think this group understands starting means little after Dions fortunes.