Christmas stepping up | Syracusefan.com

Christmas stepping up

Rocco

Watching you.
Sorry if someone has already posted about his improvement, but I wasn't around all weekend to see it posted. Anyways, since Coleman has been out, and even a few games before that, Christmas has really upped his intensity both defensively and on the offensive end. I'm not really sure what can be attributed to his increased efficiency, but I would love to see it remain the norm. Last year, he had a couple games where he showed his ridiculous athleticism, but then would fall back into his "ho-hum" routine. This year, he has shown more aggression so far, especially in the last few games. When we have future games where Cooney and Grant struggle, someone will have to come up with some offensive production. Fair and Ennis seem to be able to score at will, but we need a 3rd scorer (Rak averaging 11.5 last 2 games). When Rak doesn't put the ball on the floor and just goes up, he's almost unstoppable. He's shooting a pretty good 71.4% from the line as a 6-9 PF. I'll take it, so get to the rim more often big fella. He's grabbed a couple big rebounds as well. We will certainly need him to continue to improve down low.

K, good talk.

Definitely worth mentioning, Rocco.

Rak's footwork is better, especially before he receives the ball. He's working harder to establish position this year, and it has led to promising results at times. His defense in the center of the zone is still spotty, though, mostly based on his positioning and awareness of rotations. He needs to work on this aspect of his game so that he and the team can reach their full potential this season. I'm sure he's working on this every day in practice.

I've definitely noticed it. He is getting better every game and it has been especially noticable in the last 4 or 5. His offense is coming along now. I have hopes that he is a legit threat by conference tourney time and Coleman gets there by the end of next season. If we have the ability to throw the ball into Rak and have a 60% or so chance of a bucket - it would make this team darn near unstoppable. He really was a key in the Miami game and that is just another great sign for his development and for the team.

tumblr_lqz4rkz6kX1qe6x0no1_400.gif

Definitely worth mentioning, Rocco.

Rak's footwork is better, especially before he receives the ball. He's working harder to establish position this year, and it has led to promising results at times. His defense in the center of the zone is still spotty, though, mostly based on his positioning and awareness of rotations. He needs to work on this aspect of his game so that he and the team can reach their full potential this season. I'm sure he's working on this every day in practice.

No question about his confusion in the center of the zone. He is usually on the wing on D, but I have a feeling that we will see more and more of Rak at the 5 for the remainder. Even if healthy, hard to argue for DC over Rak right now. Rak, Grant, Fair, Cooney and Ennis is a helluva lineup.

He looks mean too
I was going to say that, with the uptick in his play, his face has more emotion on it. Also I noticed, he's not getting the JB quick hook as much, if any. That has to help as he is playing a lot less tentatively.

I want to see him & Ennis begin working a p&r game often enough that we can start calling it the Roc & Roll

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom