Christmas.. | Syracusefan.com

Christmas..

Forza Azzurri

All American
Have we ever had a starter make such a quantum leap from junior to senior year?

Sims had a huge jump but he did not start as a junior.

Johnson blew up as a junior after being a part-time starter as a soph.

Nichols improved greatly from jr to sr year (and is probably the closest to Xmas in terms of improvement) but I don't think I have ever seen a junior starter improve as much as Xmas has...

Amazing how the light can all of a sudden turn on...

Nichols improved greatly from jr to sr year (and is probably the closest to Xmas in terms of improvement) but I don't think I have ever seen a junior starter improve as much as Xmas has...

Michael Jackson once said if you can't feed a baby, don't have a baby. We started consistently feeding the baby this season, and now he is a man.

He has a ways to go in terms of shot selection [partially a function of not having been utililzed offensively through the first three years of his career], but I wonder how much heading into last offseson knowing that he'd need to step it up helped him get ready.

He has always had skill--but he'd drift through lengthy stretches of games. He seems much more focused now--which is great for us. I would have gladly signed up for 8 and 8 consistently from Rak, and been happy to get it. Looks like I need to revise those scoring projections--because he's looking more like a 13ppg+ scorer. Kudos to him for stepping up.

His improved footwork and decisiveness is what has shocked me. He has actual post moves and his blow bye is crazy fast for a guy his size. Once last night he turned, faced and split the coming double team off of one bounce for an easy lay in all in one motion.

Danny Schayes comes to mind, but he like Sims was a non starter as a junior. Went from 5.9ppg and 4.5rpg and non starter as a junior to 14.6ppg and 8.3rpg and 1st Team All Big East, All American and 13th pick in the NBA draft.

Danny Schayes comes to mind. Went from 5.9ppg and 4.5rpg and non starter as a junior to 14.6ppg and 8.3rpg and 1st Team All Big East, All American and 13th pick in the NBA draft.

...and the guy out of all our pros who had the lengthiest NBA career.

He has always had skill--but he'd drift through lengthy stretches of games. He seems much more focused now--which is great for us.
It's a chicken and egg thing. I've always thought he drifted because his team ignored him on offense, and believed if they rewarded him a little more we wouldn't be questioning his motor so much. Now he knows he's involved. Where have the questions about his motor gone?

Danny Schayes comes to mind, but he like Sims was a non starter as a junior. Went from 5.9ppg and 4.5rpg and non starter as a junior to 14.6ppg and 8.3rpg and 1st Team All Big East, All American and 13th pick in the NBA draft.
...and the guy out of all our pros who had the lengthiest NBA career.
I really wish I had his autograph.

James Southerland gets my vote. Didn't start as a Junior though.

James Southerland gets my vote. Didn't start as a Junior though.

Yes. That is why I specifically said "starter".

We've had many guys blow up when they went to starter from reserve.

I've always had a soft spot for Rak. In a guard-centric offense he's very rarely gotten consistent touches throughout his career. He would make a bad mistake and immediately get subbed out for Baye, sometimes seconds into games. Getting yanked around like that has to play a role in your confidence level, I don't care how strong-minded or tough you are.

He's always been an incredibly gifted athlete with touch and skill that a lot of bigs don't have. And I think he's improved and expanded on his post moves. But I also think a lot of this is opportunity, situation and mindset. He knows he's the guy, he can make mistakes without getting benched because there are no other options. He's finally just playing basketball instead of looking over his shoulder.

I've always had a soft spot for Rak. In a guard-centric offense he's very rarely gotten consistent touches throughout his career. He would make a bad mistake and immediately get subbed out for Baye, sometimes seconds into games. Getting yanked around like that has to play a role in your confidence level, I don't care how strong-minded or tough you are.

He's always been an incredibly gifted athlete with touch and skill that a lot of bigs don't have. And I think he's improved and expanded on his post moves. But I also think a lot of this is opportunity, situation and mindset. He knows he's the guy, he can make mistakes without getting benched because there are no other options. He's finally just playing basketball instead of looking over his shoulder.

JB's management system (questionable to some) was very effective in keeping RAK here. How many 5 Star McDAA's stick around to their senior year? Being a compliant conformer, JB is now pushing (promoting) Rak like no other player. He can do no wrong. Just watch his performance explode as the season progresses. Enjoy!

Michael Jackson once said if you can't feed a baby, don't have a baby. We started consistently feeding the baby this season, and now he is a man.

I think is also has to do with his personality. He wants the ball more. He has an edge.

JB's management system (questionable to some) was very effective in keeping RAK here. How many 5 Star McDAA's stick around to their senior year? Being a compliant conformer, JB is now pushing (promoting) Rak like no other player. He can do no wrong. Just watch his performance explode as the season progresses. Enjoy!

Why would we consider a McD All American staying to their senior year a success?

His improved footwork and decisiveness is what has shocked me. He has actual post moves and his blow bye is crazy fast for a guy his size. Once last night he turned, faced and split the coming double team off of one bounce for an easy lay in all in one motion.

I think I'm thinking of a different play, but the and one he got at the end of the first half where he did a drop step to the left was insane.

I think I'm thinking of a different play, but the and one he got at the end of the first half where he did a drop step to the left was insane.

Different shots, the one I'm talking about was mid to late 2nd half. But another good example and its not just the footwork and the move its the speed at which he pulls it off. These moves work on anyone and get him a bunny at the rim if there is no weakside rim protection.

A lot of people have mentioned Rick. Here are his JR/SR stats:

Junior Year
PTS REB
9.7 7.0

Senior Year
PTS REB
13.1 10.3

Here are Rakeem's (thus far):

Junior Year
PTS REB
5.8 5.1

Senior Year
PTS REB
17.1 9.0

Rick's leap isn't as pronounced as some remember. A big jump, but no where near Rakeem's thus far. Given that Rak probably won't continue this pace through the year, it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I think he's definitely made a huge leap compared to other starters throughout the years.
Someone else mentioned Otis Hill. The Big O went from 12.7 PPG as a junior to 15.7 as a senior. A jump, but not a huge one. Rebounds went from 5.5 to 6.1. Some movement, but not much.

I think it's safe to say that the current production we're seeing from a guy who received starter minutes from junior to senior year is fairly unprecedented.

Agreed. For a major program it is going to be hard to find a player nationwide who has improved as much as him. I think we all would've gladly taken 3-4 ppg and 2 rbg improvement but this is amazing. He is going to be better than Zanna and I thought he was one of the most improved players in the country last season. Said in a whisper...the scouts sure must be noticing some his awesome post moves and left hand finishes. ;)

Agreed. For a major program it is going to be hard to find a player nationwide who has improved as much as him. I think we all would've gladly taken 3-4 ppg and 2 rbg improvement but this is amazing. He is going to be better than Zanna and I thought he was one of the most improved players in the country last season. Said in a whisper...the scouts sure must be noticing some his awesome post moves and left hand finishes. ;)

Wait he's a senior the scouts . . . . . . . . oh I see what you did there.

Rick Jackson?

That was what I was thinking. Rick Jackson made a huge leap from Junior to Senior year. I think his senior year he was BE defensive player of the year.

Yeah, I watched the Beilein presser. He said he and McCullough's first step are super quick hence the help later on. Gave those guys some praises which he should've.

I think is also has to do with his personality. He wants the ball more. He has an edge.

I was thinking last year he was too busy trying to graduate early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom