Christmas.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Christmas..

Yeah, I watched the Beilein presser. He said he and McCullough's first step are super quick hence the help later on. Gave those guys some praises which he should've.

What else did he say about our team/the game?

A lot of people have mentioned Rick. Here are his JR/SR stats:

Junior Year
PTS REB
9.7 7.0

Senior Year
PTS REB
13.1 10.3

Here are Rakeem's (thus far):

Junior Year
PTS REB
5.8 5.1

Senior Year
PTS REB
17.1 9.0

Rick's leap isn't as pronounced as some remember. A big jump, but no where near Rakeem's thus far. Given that Rak probably won't continue this pace through the year, it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I think he's definitely made a huge leap compared to other starters throughout the years.
Someone else mentioned Otis Hill. The Big O went from 12.7 PPG as a junior to 15.7 as a senior. A jump, but not a huge one. Rebounds went from 5.5 to 6.1. Some movement, but not much.

I think it's safe to say that the current production we're seeing from a guy who received starter minutes from junior to senior year is fairly unprecedented.

Thanks for the assist.

I was using my memory and intuition (both of which tend to be faulty and are getting faultier as I age) and did not have the actual stats...

Have we ever had a starter make such a quantum leap from junior to senior year?

Sims had a huge jump but he did not start as a junior.

Johnson blew up as a junior after being a part-time starter as a soph.

Nichols improved greatly from jr to sr year (and is probably the closest to Xmas in terms of improvement) but I don't think I have ever seen a junior starter improve as much as Xmas has...

Amazing how the light can all of a sudden turn on...

Well, I think a big part of his defensive improvements last year were due to the fact that he knew he wasn't coming out, after Coleman got injured.

This year, his offensive improvement is for the same reason - we need him to play, and so Boeheim is going to let him play through mistakes. It's remarkable how much that can do for someone's confidence.

We should really have hired a big man coach! Our big man coaches can't coach! :crazy:

What else did he say about our team/the game?

It's on the GoBlue/UM website. Paraphrasing...both teams are figuring it out. Great early season matchup to coach and be a spectator in. Great energy and atmosphere. Both teams very young. Cooney got loose for a couple 2H. Said he had as many threes as Stauskas last year. Albrecht now has 16 or 17 assists and 0 turnovers the last two games. Walton had zero practice all week. Shocked at how well his guys rebounded on the offensive glass. The body that Ricky Doyel has turned himself into for a true 18 year old is shocking too. Allows him to bang around a bit. Doyel has to be removed from the gym. He will be in the gym shooting free throws after the game.

I really like listening to Beilein speak. Easy to tell why so many players love playing for him.

I thought Rak showed signs of what he could do last year when he got his chances. The only problem is we refused to feed him consistently in the post.

I have always been a huge Rak fan. Going to be interesting to see if he can get himself drafted off a strong Senior season.

Yes. That is why I specifically said "starter".

We've had many guys blow up when they went to starter from reserve.

My reading comprehension is poor haha. I think I was thrown off by Wes being included because I forget that he played somewhere before here lol.

I thought Rak showed signs of what he could do last year when he got his chances. The only problem is we refused to feed him consistently in the post.

I have always been a huge Rak fan. Going to be interesting to see if he can get himself drafted off a strong Senior season.

If he keeps playing like he is I think he will get drafted. Maybe not until the 2nd round but he should find himself in a camp with a chance to make a roster IMO.

I think he his going to be strong in workouts showing that he can make jumpshots as well unlike Grant. I think he could be a serviceable NBA PF for years.

I think he his going to be strong in workouts showing that he can make jumpshots as well unlike Grant. I think he could be a serviceable NBA PF for years.

Agreed and with the offensive production he is showing this year I think someone uses a pick on him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go late in the first round although that's probably unlikely.

This is the transformation we need to see in Roberson. Kid oozes athletic ability and hoop potential but he's softer than charmin. Kid needs a mean streak injection.

that soft little layup last night was weak. he needs to be throwing down a backboard breaking tomahawk on something like that.

as for Rak. Great to see. Very happy for him. Program kid who endured the lashings is now a better player for it.

This is the transformation we need to see in Roberson. Kid oozes athletic ability and hoop potential but he's softer than charmin. Kid needs a mean streak injection.

that soft little layup last night was weak. he needs to be throwing down a backboard breaking tomahawk on something like that.

as for Rak. Great to see. Very happy for him. Program kid who endured the lashings is now a better player for it.

There were moments last year when TR was very aggressive attacking the hoop. TR is hard to understand. I think he just needs a little more confidence. Maybe some time in the weight room will give him a little more confidence. He has all the tools. If not this year TR is going to be a monster at some point. It may not be this year.

He has a ways to go in terms of shot selection [partially a function of not having been utililzed offensively through the first three years of his career], but I wonder how much heading into last offseson knowing that he'd need to step it up helped him get ready.

He has always had skill--but he'd drift through lengthy stretches of games. He seems much more focused now--which is great for us. I would have gladly signed up for 8 and 8 consistently from Rak, and been happy to get it. Looks like I need to revise those scoring projections--because he's looking more like a 13ppg+ scorer. Kudos to him for stepping up.
Maybe I'm too jaded by the out of control craziness every time jeremi or CJ put it on the floor last year, but I'm a-ok with rak's selection in comparison.

Danny Schayes comes to mind, but he like Sims was a non starter as a junior. Went from 5.9ppg and 4.5rpg and non starter as a junior to 14.6ppg and 8.3rpg and 1st Team All Big East, All American and 13th pick in the NBA draft.
Danny was stuck behind Rosy for three years. If no Rosy, I think Danny would have shown steady improvement during his four years & would not have had to make the quantum jump.

Have we ever had a starter make such a quantum leap from junior to senior year?

Sims had a huge jump but he did not start as a junior.

Johnson blew up as a junior after being a part-time starter as a soph.

Nichols improved greatly from jr to sr year (and is probably the closest to Xmas in terms of improvement) but I don't think I have ever seen a junior starter improve as much as Xmas has...

Amazing how the light can all of a sudden turn on...
No...and I don't think there's anyone even close from what he's shown so far.
I was going to post a question asking where we got that new guy playing center and wearing #25.

Can't believe there's a more improved player in America...certainly on the offensive end.
He may have turned himself into one of the top centers in college ball.

I think I was thrown off by Wes being included because I forget that he played somewhere before here lol.

I think the original post was referring to Dave Johnson in 1990--91, not Wes Johnson.

Rak's had my love since his sophomore year. A big thats capable of 70%+ from the line? Yes please.

I think I'm thinking of a different play, but the and one he got at the end of the first half where he did a drop step to the left was insane.
Yeah, Dackich was like. 'whoa ... he just exploded by the guy'. Great to see him playing to his potential. Most of us Rak-fans have been waiting for this to happen for a long time. Actually, he started blowing up in the second half of last year. But this year he's almost unstoppable on the low-block and (I would think) should be getting some NBA attention if he has a solid season.

A lot of people have mentioned Rick. Here are his JR/SR stats:

Junior Year
PTS REB
9.7 7.0

Senior Year
PTS REB
13.1 10.3

Here are Rakeem's (thus far):

Junior Year
PTS REB
5.8 5.1

Senior Year
PTS REB
17.1 9.0

Rick's leap isn't as pronounced as some remember. A big jump, but no where near Rakeem's thus far. Given that Rak probably won't continue this pace through the year, it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I think he's definitely made a huge leap compared to other starters throughout the years.
Someone else mentioned Otis Hill. The Big O went from 12.7 PPG as a junior to 15.7 as a senior. A jump, but not a huge one. Rebounds went from 5.5 to 6.1. Some movement, but not much.

I think it's safe to say that the current production we're seeing from a guy who received starter minutes from junior to senior year is fairly unprecedented.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but it should be noted that RJ did two things Rak hasn't -- for what it's worth.

1 -- he completely re-shaped his body and was literally a completely different player physically as a senior. I'm not penalizing Rak for being in great shape all four years, just saying that visually, the difference in RJ was stunning.

2 -- RJ was a complete stud, game in and game out, vs. and incredibly difficult BE schedule. Rak may well do the same in the ACC but I'm holding off on getting too, too excited until we see him play this well and stay out of foul trouble as we get deeper into the ACC schedule.

I think the original post was referring to Dave Johnson in 1990--91, not Wes Johnson.

That'll do it. That was before I was born (not by much), so I didn't think of Dave Johnson off the top of my head. I thought maybe it was a reference to Wes starting at Iowa State and then playing here. I made a mess of this lol.

Somebody may have already made this point - but I think it has to help that Christmas doesn't have a backup that JB really trusts right now. In the past, there was Keita for JB to put him whenever JB got upset with Rakeem or when he got in foul trouble. That has to help Rakeem's confidence to know he's not going to get pulled if he makes a mistake this year or even if he gets in a little foul trouble. Plus it just results in more minutes to be more productive.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but it should be noted that RJ did two things Rak hasn't -- for what it's worth.

1 -- he completely re-shaped his body and was literally a completely different player physically as a senior. I'm not penalizing Rak for being in great shape all four years, just saying that visually, the difference in RJ was stunning.

2 -- RJ was a complete stud, game in and game out, vs. and incredibly difficult BE schedule. Rak may well do the same in the ACC but I'm holding off on getting too, too excited until we see him play this well and stay out of foul trouble as we get deeper into the ACC schedule.

I have to agree with you about RJ. Rak is doing tremendous this year. I am really pleased. But RJ was like Waiters from one year to the next. AO set the standard for Orange defense for couple of years. RJ raised the bar his senior year! What RJ was just incredible and unexpected. He was a total beast on defense. RJ is one of my favorite all-time players as well as AO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom