Chuck 3's | Syracusefan.com

Chuck 3's

B

Brooky03

new offensive proposal: Frank, Battle, Brissett, Dolezaj, Moyer shoot 3's exclusively any time they get an open look. Everyone else crashes the boards.

I think we could make 25% of them. The added bonus is no turnovers.

This would be more efficient than our normal offense.

What's the downside?

I thought the thread title was aiming at Chuck(wu) shooting threes. I guess I am now actually pleasantly surprised by what you really meant...

Last edited:
No turnovers?!?!?

That's the craziest part of your post!

new offensive proposal: Frank, Battle, Brissett, Dolezaj, Moyer shoot 3's exclusively any time they get an open look. Everyone else crashes the boards.

What's the downside?

No fouls for the opponent. They basically don’t have to do anything on defense, and threes+everybody else crashing = long rebounds and runouts galore for the opponent.

Wouldn't mind seeing Marek shoot a few.

What's the downside?
I said the same thing at the game today

Almost verbatim

Ahhhhh, the big fat goalie theory. Seems to make so much sense, but ultimately fails. We would be WAY more fun to watch. I see no downside (this year at least).

What's the downside?

I don't think they need to be threes. We could shoot on drives to the basket and then have everybody go to the boards. it beats what we are doing.

At this point, chuck an open shot from half court every time down, what's the worst that can happen? We miss?

Swear to you OP, I was thinking the same thing after the game. If they could hit 25 percent of their 3's they'd be better off than running the crap they are running. However, then I calmed down and realized, no way they could shoot 25 percent as a team if they took a high volume of shots.

They do the same thing while the shot clock constantly winds now. Just chuck away sooner and waste less time!

I said the same thing at the game today

Almost verbatim
I want to see us pound the rock inside. Low post Chewy. Foul line position Euro. Run low post screens for Bris and Moyer. Run Battle and Frank through baseline screening. Basically its Flash post cut rotation. If Chewy or any player is passed the ball within 5 feet of the hoop the play is simple. That player is told much like a quarter back to begin a 3 second mental count and within those three seconds they do ONE OF ONLY TWO THINGS. SHOOT OR PASS OUT. NEVER INTERIOR PASS AND NEVER DRIBBLE. So the entire team is instruced this way. This simple instruction was taught to my team in college. It really helped as our bigs became a weapon. Catching and maintaining the ball high since they were never going to dribble from 5 feet or less pass out or shoot. Period. Weak side players almost always crashed strong side position was the outlet. People we say that Chewy cant shoot. I say baloney. He can be taught a couple of low post moves and will often get fouled. His current positioning is awful. He is way to close to the rim. Needs to be moved out another 3 feet. Anyway my long winded point is that there are things we could be doing. Obviously JB knows these i simply think that he is too stubborn to adapt his system to his players skills. Great coaches adapt. JB for the most part has been able to recruit for HIS SYSTEM. That is how he has been successful. He is not a coach whos strong suit is changing the system to fit the players.

I want to see us pound the rock inside. Low post Chewy. Foul line position Euro. Run low post screens for Bris and Moyer. Run Battle and Frank through baseline screening. Basically its Flash post cut rotation. If Chewy or any player is passed the ball within 5 feet of the hoop the play is simple. That player is told much like a quarter back to begin a 3 second mental count and within those three seconds they do ONE OF ONLY TWO THINGS. SHOOT OR PASS OUT. NEVER INTERIOR PASS AND NEVER DRIBBLE. So the entire team is instruced this way. This simple instruction was taught to my team in college. It really helped as our bigs became a weapon. Catching and maintaining the ball high since they were never going to dribble from 5 feet or less pass out or shoot. Period. Weak side players almost always crashed strong side position was the outlet. People we say that Chewy cant shoot. I say baloney. He can be taught a couple of low post moves and will often get fouled. His current positioning is awful. He is way to close to the rim. Needs to be moved out another 3 feet. Anyway my long winded point is that there are things we could be doing. Obviously JB knows these i simply think that he is too stubborn to adapt his system to his players skills. Great coaches adapt. JB for the most part has been able to recruit for HIS SYSTEM. That is how he has been successful. He is not a coach whos strong suit is changing the system to fit the players.
He is stubborn and hates change

His system has changed over the years. The trouble is, the last change was in 2009. I'm a big believer in the intermediate passer. Even if you aren't facing a zone where you can feed the high post, you ought to be able to run players where a good passer, (like Dolezaj) finds spots in the middle of the defense and then dishes down low or back out. Our trouble is that no one sets up to receive a pass between the the arc and the basket. Andy Rautins was great at that and his father w as even better.