Chuck's: Where Everybody Knows Your Name | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chuck's: Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Basement Chuck's was the best when I was on the Hill, '91-95.

It was closed early in my first semester my freshman year then opened late first semester as a 19+ bar. The re-opening was heralded like we had just unretired #44.

Me and my18 year old freshman buddies would go there before 3pm on Fridays sine that's when the bouncer would set up shop for happy hour. If you were under 19 you couldn't leave because it was tough getting back in, so the number of Fridays where I spent a quality 10+ hours in that place is unconscionable. Of course I don't regret a minute of it though.

I have a Spotify playlist of early 90s Chuck's music that is probably my favorite thing to listen to in the world.

King of the Rooooad.

I was in HS the same years and as long as you had a halfway decent ID they'd serve you.

Thor got fired when the new owners came in, I remember going up for homecoming and the guy looked like he was on painkillers and was in his own world. But while we were there he was awesome. I'd estimate 75% of the money i spent at SU was at Chucks.

So the new owners fired everyone's favorite bartender, shortened operating hours, eliminated lunch service, and changed the menu?

Well done, guys.

Just shut down. I spent many a nights in my day at sutters and was on the hill the night of the shooting. I think they closed shortly after ( maybe 1993). Only bar where it didnt matter if you were over or under. You drank regardless.

Don't recall the shooting, but I think Sutter's lost its liquor license not long after the Michael Edwards Jeep Incident of '93.

It used to be downstairs in a dungeon when i used to go there

Same for me - graduated in 95. I went to a game three years ago or so and went to Chucks and was completely confused. Nothing was as I remembered it, and I never heard about the move upstairs. Someone on this site straightened me out afterward.

I enjoyed Chucks when I was there - one of the best things I've ever seen there was my then girlfriend - now wife - jump up on stage with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and jump into some crowd surfing. If I wasn't sure before hand that I should marry that girl, I knew it at that moment.

Chuck's is in the basement...Sutter's is in the back alley. You can rotate the names, but you can't extinguish the memories. Incidentally they were both dumps.

I think the last time I was in Faegan's was after a spring football game a many years ago. It's when I found out there were board groupies, or at least Jake groupies.