Chukwu and rebounding... | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu and rebounding...

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
PC needs to sit in the film room and watch this game over and over, and then go back and watch games of other teams (like UConn with Thabeet and the Fla St. bigs, etc) and watch how bad his position was and how these other guys were able to make huge impacts on the boards. Chukwu was not strong enough to overcome the leverage of ND's smaller beefy guys. He played underneath them, and they simply pushed him under the basket on every shot. You can't hope to rebound a miss when your're two feet behind the glass. He needs to be in the lane when shots come off and use his height and length as an advantage over these 6-7 guys. Thabeet used to grab boards like a champ, and he was about as skinny as PC is. It's all about understanding positioning.

Also, Marek has saved more than one possession this season by getting a hand on a rebound and tipping it to his teammates. Although that shows his hustle and determination, it's not going to be good enough for ACC play. He has to get two hands on those and reel em in. This where his slight build and lack of hops hurts him. We needs the weight room and lots of jump roping / box jumps in the summer. He has the nose for the ball, but his strength is no where near where it needs to be.

Brissett and Moyer have zero excuses with the size and talent they have to be outrebounded by the likes of Wake and ND. Hopefully these last two games are a wake up call as Virginia has some big dudes underneath. The Toby clone will eat us alive.

Since we are not a team that'll push the ball or break out in transition, our 6-5 guards should repeatedly be crashing the boards and helping out. I don't know what Battle's numbers are relative to defensive rebounds, but with his size he should be getting at least 6 a game, again, especially with us not being a threat for transition baskets.

Since we are not a team that'll push the ball or break out in transition, our 6-5 guards should repeatedly be crashing the boards and helping out. I don't know what Battle's numbers are relative to defensive rebounds, but with his size he should be getting at least 6 a game, again, especially with us not being a threat for transition baskets.
Battle should def be grabbing more rebounds

Defensive rebounding has never been a big point of emphasis since I started watching in the mid 80s .. it’s got nothing to do with man vs zone , height vs bulk.. etc ...we used to have front lines of 6-11 , 6 10 , 6’9 who were crap at defensive boards

PC is so weak and so skinny, though. He doesn't move all that well and doesn't get off the floor a ton. He's a stationary big without the bulk/strength to handle shorter, stronger guys bodying him.

Comparing him to Thabeet is unfair. That guy had 50 lbs on him and moved a whole lot better. The FSU bigs, specifically Bojanovsky, would be fairer comps, I guess (though even he had 20+ lbs on him).

And if he can improve anything by learning better position, I hope it's the staff that gets him going.

PC is so weak and so skinny, though. He doesn't move all that well and doesn't get off the floor a ton. He's a stationary big without the bulk/strength to handle shorter, stronger guys bodying him.

Comparing him to Thabeet is unfair. That guy had 50 lbs on him and moved a whole lot better. The FSU bigs, specifically Bojanovsky, would be fairer comps, I guess (though even he had 20+ lbs on him).

And if he can improve anything by learning better position, I hope it's the staff that gets him going.

That and developmentally, he is so far behind other people his age. He still passes like a kid in middle school. Some of our guys have restrictions on distance from the basket for shooting. He's got a limit on how far he can pass.

Imagine a kid like Kevin Love rebounding and throwing those full court passes like he does. If Pascal could do those two things well (not even Love-like, just well), I'd be overjoyed.

Can you imagine how pissed Howard must be everytime he tosses the ball up in an alley oop to PC only to see PC bring the ball to the floor because he mistimed his jump or didn't jump close enough?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom