Chukwu - Draft potential? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu - Draft potential?

I wouldn't worry, he will be in his 3rd year out of HS at the end of next season when the draft happens. In NBA terms: he's the Crypt Keeper. No chance of getting drafted as I am told at such a geriatric state.
Wrong font

We have a few quotes from JB about Pascal. These are very promising, at least about his shot-blocking. But we have so few actual reports from our posters, based on observing the guy compete. He practiced all season against Coleman & Lyden -- someone should be able to what JB has said.
Why so little?
Is he playing competitively this summer?
What offensive skills does he have -- what improvements has he made?
Is he stronger?

Surprised to see he was drafted #2 overall. That is probably a pick the Griz would like to have back. He was dominant in college, run of the mill in the NBA.
He wasn't close to run of the mill in the NBA. If he was, he would still be there.

Chukwu could have a monster season on defense. It wouldn't be a stretch for him to lead the nation, or come close to it, in blocks, and rebounds at 7'2" have a way of pretty much falling into your lap regardless of your weight.

Coleman's minutes are the biggest threat to Chukwu's production. With the other offensive weapons on the court, I don't see Chukwu's offense being any factor in PT. I also don't see Lydon getting any run at Center unless it's in a very specialized lineup that will get limited run or if Chukwu and Coleman are in serious foul trouble/fouled out.

Think we will still see some Lydon at Center when/if the offense bogs down and against opposing teams that don't have a big man, rewatched the Virginia game as he was awesome on defence. Feel really good about the Chukwu/Coleman tandem. Lots of fouls to give there and I imagine Chukwu is going to need them as he gets back into game action.

Everybody says NOW that Steph Curry was a no-brainer. He wasn't then.
His ankles were/are made of balsa wood.
And he's very slight of build - so the concerns were whether he could withstand the physicality and rigors of the NBA game, and be able to play and D.

His shooting was never in doubt - it was his ability to stay on the court that was.

Re: Harden - after we completely shut him down in the NCAA's, I kept thinking, THIS guy is gonna be a lottery pick?
Guess that's risk of using a small sample size like one game to judge a player. :p
I believe Harden was sick with the flu or something similar during that game.

Chukwu could have a monster season on defense. It wouldn't be a stretch for him to lead the nation, or come close to it, in blocks, and rebounds at 7'2" have a way of pretty much falling into your lap regardless of your weight.

Coleman's minutes are the biggest threat to Chukwu's production. With the other offensive weapons on the court, I don't see Chukwu's offense being any factor in PT. I also don't see Lydon getting any run at Center unless it's in a very specialized lineup that will get limited run or if Chukwu and Coleman are in serious foul trouble/fouled out.
This is my take also. Lydon can play the 5 once in a while if JB decides he needs a small-ball offensive rotation. But from my seat the lion's share of center minutes will be split between DC2 and Chukwu ... (with TT backing up). Chukwu's too big to be wasted on the bench -- we've all seen the damage a functional 7 footer can do defensively in the Zone. Even if his low-block offense is a WIP, he'll get offensive rebounds and put backs just because of his size. My guess ... we see DC2 initially then Chukwu comes in and starts blocking everything in sight like he did in practice last year. When he needs a blow or pics up fouls, DC's back in.

Last edited:
This is my take also. Lydon can play the 5 once in a while if JB decides he needs a small-ball offensive rotation. But from my seat the lion's share of center minutes will be split between DC2 and Chukwu ... (with TT backing up). Chukwu's too big to be wasted on the bench -- we've all seen the damage a functional 7 footer can do defensively in the Zone. Even if his low-block offense is a WIP, he'll get offensive rebounds and put backs just because of his size. My guess ... we see DC2 initially then Chukwu comes in and starts blocking everything in sight like he did in practice last year. When he needs a blow or pics up fouls, DC's back in.

Agree with that, but I also think we'll see Lydon "close" a lot of games at center, especially if the other two can't hit free throws.

It will really be interesting to see how Chukwu produces this year. If he's anything like Keita, he'll play a ton and provide a huge defensive boon. I don't think we need him to provide much scoring, but defense / rebounding, he needs to bring it.

Agree with that, but I also think we'll see Lydon "close" a lot of games at center, especially if the other two can't hit free throws.

It will really be interesting to see how Chukwu produces this year. If he's anything like Keita, he'll play a ton and provide a huge defensive boon. I don't think we need him to provide much scoring, but defense / rebounding, he needs to bring it.

Agree. Lydon's only "undersized" at the 5 when we play the UNC's of the conference. Against smaller/faster teams, he's an asset there. Even against big front lines, as you mention, if Chukwu/DC2 start tanking at the FT line, absolutely in a close game I can see Lydon subbing in at the 5, or trading him on O/D with Chukwu .. type thing.

Otherwise, I think Chukwu gets a lot of run .. assuming he's as much of a D force as I've heard he was in practice. Last year, some of the ESPN/TV commentators mentioned that SU's a "different team" in the Melo Center (with Chukwu). Obviously, JB can hardly hold back his enthusiasm. So I think we'll see DC2 start and play, but Chukwu's minutes could reach 20+mpg in ACC play.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom