Chukwu, Isaiah Stewart fodder | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu, Isaiah Stewart fodder

Caboose

Scout Team
I really don't want to start a whole new thread based on a "what-if" but how many ppl here would kill to have that guy for one more year on this squad? For all the bashing he took here he would sure have make a difference on this team which has zero presence with "orange cone" Sidibe anchoring our zone.

On another note I am completely floored by Hop steering Isaiah Stewart away from this program to Washington. Idk, but to me that really speaks volumes to his mindset and anger with how things went down. How do you express all that love for your mentor and this town/school, and then say oh btw I'm taking your best recruit since Carmelo with me? Bu bye! That was a real dagger to this program. If IS was on this squad his difference would have been almost immeasurable. Top 25 for sure. That's how much of a difference striking out on one recruit makes.

Chukwu as a Baye Moussa Keita sub who could be a defensive presence and closer with a lead who can atleast make some FTs fine.
Chukwu as a 15-20 MPG player is fine a player. Since he isn’t an offensive threat but playing him starters minutes again no thanks. His pick and rolls literally hurt our offense as they always resulted in double teams which caused terrible shots best case or turnovers.

3 years of starters minutes with him and team playing poor offense are enough for me.

I really don't want to start a whole new thread based on a "what-if" but how many ppl here would kill to have that guy for one more year on this squad? For all the bashing he took here he would sure have make a difference on this team which has zero presence with "orange cone" Sidibe anchoring our zone.

On another note I am completely floored by Hop steering Isaiah Stewart away from this program to Washington. Idk, but to me that really speaks volumes to his mindset and anger with how things went down. How do you express all that love for your mentor and this town/school, and then say oh btw I'm taking your best recruit since Carmelo with me? Bu bye! That was a real dagger to this program. If IS was on this squad his difference would have been almost immeasurable. Top 25 for sure. That's how much of a difference striking out on one recruit makes.

As it has been said many times, Isaiah wanted to get away from NYS, so Washington was perfect for him.

Chukwu as a Baye Moussa Keita sub who could be a defensive presence and closer with a lead who can atleast make some FTs fine.
Chukwu as a 15-20 MPG player is fine a player. Since he isn’t an offensive threat but playing him starters minutes again no thanks. His pick and rolls literally hurt our offense as they always resulted in double teams which caused terrible shots best case or turnovers.

3 years of starters minutes with him and team playing poor offense are enough for me.
Gives me shudders to see us using Sid the same way. Worse yet is we seem to actually pass him the ball when he's 20 feet from the basket and it takes 5-10 seconds for anyone to get open or come get the ball from him.

Gives me shudders to see us using Sid the same way. Worse yet is we seem to actually pass him the ball when he's 20 feet from the basket and it takes 5-10 seconds for anyone to get open or come get the ball from him.
I never understood why Syracuse has a non playmaking big get the ball 20-25 feet away from the rim, then try to make a contested pass to a guard or I guess a play. Weird!!

All's fair in love and war. Hopkins does not owe anything to Syracuse. And in some alternate world, Syracuse would have done the same thing to Washington if the script was flipped.

On another note I am completely floored by Hop steering Isaiah Stewart away from this program to Washington. Idk, but to me that really speaks volumes to his mindset and anger with how things went down. How do you express all that love for your mentor and this town/school, and then say oh btw I'm taking your best recruit since Carmelo with me?
[/QUOTE]

Has absolutely nothing to do with anger. You'd be crazy NOT to take as many recruits with you as possible to assure your own future success.

Washington isn’t a perfect fit for anybody let’s be honest lol

Hop had been recruiting Stewart since 9th grade.

Stewart was going to go wherever Hop was.

Exactly but regardless, Hop wouldn't be doing the job Washington hired him to do if he didn't try to get the best players he could. If the guy who replaces JB comes from outside the program and he has some recruits that would help us, I darn sure want him to try to flip them.

Hop owes JB Seriously? Hop didnt just leave. His responsibility is to his program not SU. Its too bad JB didnt continue to work hard at recruiting. Its also to bad he didn't replace Hop with a seasoned assistant coach.

News Flash: Mike's got a family to feed! Maybe you didn't know.

I'd be a little disappointed if he used negative recruiing against us but frankly, all's fair, no matter how much he loves JB and SU.

you and I know he did

I do wish we would've just given Hop a pay raise and asked him to sit tight a few more years as coach in waiting. He is out recruiting us badly and unfortunately its Syracuse recruits (Stewart, Quade, Hameir Wright, Naz Carter even Nate Roberts)going to Washington. Its crazy that JB is like 1- 5 head to head recruiting vs Hop. And Hop has definitely gotten the top talent.

I do wish we would've just given Hop a pay raise and asked him to sit tight a few more years as coach in waiting.
At some point it's not about the money.
Mike Hopkins was the Prince Charles of coaching...eternally waiting for the title that may never come.

He was ready to run a major college program and he got a great offer.
He had everything to gain and nothing to lose given the Washington team he inherited.
And he immediately turned things around.
Good for him,,,good for them...tough on us.

At some point it's not about the money.
Mike Hopkins was the Prince Charles of coaching...eternally waiting for the title that may never come.

He was ready to run a major college program and he got a great offer.
He had everything to gain and nothing to lose given the Washington team he inherited.
And he immediately turned things around.
Good for him,,,good for them...tough on us.
Yeah I agree and am very happy for him. He really really is a nice guy when you meet him. You cant ut wish the best for him and his family

That being said, selfishly I wish we still had him specifically as the end of the road is starting to be in site with JB. The sad part is I have no clue who I want or will be the new coach when the legend hangs em up. Look at St Johns, Gtown etc after the legendary coach retired. With Hop we had the continuity to our Big East Glory days

On another note and I cant believe I am saying this but I really really really wish we still had Chuckwu. He couldve and probably got another year of NCAA eligibility from all the injuries and time missed. Could really use him this year with this team.

Exactly but regardless, Hop wouldn't be doing the job Washington hired him to do if he didn't try to get the best players he could. If the guy who replaces JB comes from outside the program and he has some recruits that would help us, I darn sure want him to try to flip them.

Dino will hire a new DC, and that DC may bring a few recruits with him, and nobody will complain.

You think Hopkins is recruiting the best team he can recruit out of anger? What??

He’s in a win or get fired business with millions of dollars and his entire career and reputation on the line every single day, basically. Like any other coach, he’s getting the best players he can possibly get. Lol at thinking that has anything to do with sticking it to SU. Stewart was never “ours”. If he had been on the team at Syracuse and left, that’s one thing. He never came here in the first place.

On another note I am completely floored by Hop steering Isaiah Stewart away from this program to Washington. Idk, but to me that really speaks volumes to his mindset and anger with how things went down. How do you express all that love for your mentor and this town/school, and then say oh btw I'm taking your best recruit since Carmelo with me?

Has absolutely nothing to do with anger. You'd be crazy NOT to take as many recruits with you as possible to assure your own future success.
[/QUOTE]

Not only crazy, but derelict in your obligation to your employer. It was Hop's JOB to use the relationship he had established with Stewart while at Syracuse to recruit him to UW. This narrative that Hop left out of disappointment, anger or JB running him off needs to move to the fantasy forum.

I would add that if Hopkins did somehow crazily decide to sacrifice his own career to smooth the way for his alma mater to recruit a top 5 player, that would be grounds for an immediate dismissal. If only, right?

Would of been nice to grab a grad transfer at center last year for this year. If we had that Guerrier would grow into his role nicely. Bulking up some for centers (and all skinny pf's) as upperclassmen, is a must.

How often do these mid-majors in the tournament make noise with average centers?
You could probably grab 4-5 centers every year from every mid-major league and throw them on a acc team. I Don't get why they wouldn't want to come, and be the stars as seniors. Especially in front of 30,000.

Last edited: