Chukwu, Isaiah Stewart fodder | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu, Isaiah Stewart fodder

Has absolutely nothing to do with anger. You'd be crazy NOT to take as many recruits with you as possible to assure your own future success.

Not only crazy, but derelict in your obligation to your employer. It was Hop's JOB to use the relationship he had established with Stewart while at Syracuse to recruit him to UW. This narrative that Hop left out of disappointment, anger or JB running him off needs to move to the fantasy forum.
I see everyone's point on this but I still see an unspoken respect thing for your mentor that in cases like this should be in play. If you truly respected the person like Hop claims he did for JB, then how on earth do you say ok bye, I'm taking your best recruit with me? To me it's the same thing where you're working for Microsoft and design software there. It's their property not yours. Just because Hop left doesn't mean his next job doesn't trump respect and ethical behavior.

Sh**t, maybe Washington targeted Hop knowing he would bring/steal Stewart and other SU recruits he molded along with him. Maybe Hop didn't get the job solely on his own merits but because he sold himself by claiming he'd bring SU recruits with him. Ever think of that??? I kind if think that's the case since the power 5 school gave the damn job to an assistant coach with a 4-5 record.

Last edited:
Would of been nice to grab a grad transfer at center last year for this year. If we had that Guerrier would grow into his role nicely. Bulking up some for centers (and all skinny pf's) as upperclassmen, is a must.

How often do these mid-majors in the tournament make noise with average centers?
You could probably grab 4-5 centers every year from every mid-major league and throw them on a acc team. I Don't get why they wouldn't want to come, and be the stars as seniors. Especially in front of 30,000.

Yep, and Fran Fraschilla had to rub salt in the wound on Twitter by saying how a former Syracuse (and Nottingham) native is currently averaging 20 and 10 at center. His name escapes me but he was discussed last year as a potential grad transfer I believe.

I see everyone's point on this but I still see an unspoken respect thing for your mentor that in cases like this should be in play. If you truly respected the person like Hop claims he did for JB, then how on earth do you say ok bye, I'm taking your best recruit with me? To me it's the same thing where you're working for Microsoft and design software there. It's their property not yours. Just because Hop left doesn't mean his next job doesn't trump respect and ethical behavior.

Sh**t, maybe Washington targeted Hop knowing he would bring/steal Stewart and other SU recruits he molded along with him. Maybe Hop didn't get the job solely on his own merits but because he sold himself by claiming he'd bring SU recruits with him. Ever think of that??? I kind if think that's the case since the power 5 school gave the damn job to an assistant coach with a 4-5 record.
I am serious here do you follow College football?
I ask because coaches jump from job to job all the time and always take recruits with them.
Assistant coaches get jobs for recruiting connections. Kids flip like crazy in football.
This isn’t Silicon Valley and if Piped Piper was made on Hueli time with Hueli equipment it becomes Hueli property.

Assistants and HCs are always going to do what is their best interest. It’s a cutthroat game.

Yep, and Fran Fraschilla had to rub salt in the wound on Twitter by saying how a former Syracuse (and Nottingham) native is currently averaging 20 and 10 at center. His name escapes me but he was discussed last year as a potential grad transfer I believe.
Nathan Knight. I don't think he was a transfer with immediate eligibility. He's still at William and Mary (and crushing it).

Sidibe reminds of what BMK was. A solid, if not spectacular, backup C. The problem is that there isn't a starter.

If you worked for Microsoft the patent or technology you developed while employed belongs to MS.

In recruiting it's different because the player is not an object with a value. It's a human being who ultimately makes the choice where he wants to play. A lot depends on the relationship and comfort level developed over time with the main recruiter, which was Mike. If Mike was the connection he has with Cuse, his departure means he has to start over with another recruiter whether that be Gmac, Red or Griffen. If he feels more comfortable with Mike and wants to play for Mike, how is that Mike's fault? Do you expect Mike to turn away and tell him to connect with JB and company? Even if he were to do so what might happen is he goes with neither Washington or Cuse but someone else who's been recruiting him for a long time.

He wasn’t “our best recruit” because he was never “our recruit”. He was a kid that we were after...just like everybody else was. Where are you getting this “ours” stuff from? Lol at “ethical”. The kid didn’t want to come to Syracuse. He can go to school wherever he wants.

He wasn’t “our best recruit” because he was never “our recruit”. He was a kid that we were after...just like everybody else was. Where are you getting this “ours” stuff from? Lol at “ethical”. The kid didn’t want to come to Syracuse. He can go to school wherever he wants.
Keep telling yourself that
Screenshot_20191203-001930.jpg

I am serious here do you follow College football?
I ask because coaches jump from job to job all the time and always take recruits with them.
Assistant coaches get jobs for recruiting connections. Kids flip like crazy in football.
This isn’t Silicon Valley and if Piped Piper was made on Hueli time with Hueli equipment it becomes Hueli property.

Assistants and HCs are always going to do what is their best interest. It’s a cutthroat game.
All I'm saying is Hopkins was a package deal with IS, and Washington knew this. Wildhack also had to know this and STILL let him go. The entire fiasco is a joke and should have never happened.

Keep telling yourself thatView attachment 173669

Can you believe somebody would rather play for Hopkins more than Boeheim? 30k fans, MELOCENTER!, and a hall of fame coach. Kid must be dumb between the ears. We dont need players who don't have a brain anyway. Probably got paid too.

I am completely floored by Hop steering Isaiah Stewart away from this program to Washington. If IS was on this squad his difference would have been almost immeasurable. Top 25 for sure. That's how much of a difference striking out on one recruit makes.

Luka Doncic wouldn’t make this a top 25 team

Last edited:
Luka Doncic wouldn’t make this a top 25 team
This better be hyperbole.
If we had Luka Doncic instead of Buddy he would average 40 PPG and we would be a favorite for the national title.
JB’s strength last golden age was he didn’t get in talent’s way.

Would of been nice to grab a grad transfer at center last year for this year. If we had that Guerrier would grow into his role nicely. Bulking up some for centers (and all skinny pf's) as upperclassmen, is a must.

How often do these mid-majors in the tournament make noise with average centers?
You could probably grab 4-5 centers every year from every mid-major league and throw them on a acc team. I Don't get why they wouldn't want to come, and be the stars as seniors. Especially in front of 30,000.

Because we can't run a decent zone defense with one of those 6-7 250lbs mid-major centers who can score points, but can't block shots and cover the baseline corner three point shooter.

Keep telling yourself thatView attachment 173669

UW hired Mike Hopkins in March of 2017. Isaiah Stewart announced his commitment to UW in January of 2019, nearly two years later!!

UW did not hire Hop because it thought he would bring Stewart. That would have been a ridiculous basis for the hire. It would have been a stupid basis for the hire even if they were only 3 months in advance of Stewart's decision, but 2 years......are you fing kidding me. Hop had a good relationship with the kid, but he wasn't his guardian.

UW hired Mike Hopkins in March of 2017. Isaiah Stewart announced his commitment to UW in January of 2019, nearly two years later!!

UW did not hire Hop because it thought he would bring Stewart. That would have been a ridiculous basis for the hire. It would have been a stupid basis for the hire even if they were only 3 months in advance of Stewart's decision, but 2 years...are you fing kidding me. Hop had a good relationship with the kid, but he wasn't his guardian.
Lol like the time difference matters. The kid sails clear across the continent to a crappy pac 10 school that only dreams of recruits like him, but to you it's just a coincidence. If Hop had that much influence over him I'm sure they both knew what they were doing well ahead of the decision, and I'm sure Washington hired Hop w that possibility in mind.

Lol like the time difference matters. The kid sails clear across the continent to a crappy pac 10 school that only dreams of recruits like him, but to you it's just a coincidence. If Hop had that much influence over him I'm sure they both knew what they were doing well ahead of the decision, and I'm sure Washington hired Hop w that possibility in mind.

Tampering with our recruits! Anyone who grew up in NYS is obviously automatically going to Syracuse in 2 years, no matter what!

You gotta let this one go...

Yes you’re right if you wanted to go back to the last time a recruit of Stewart’s caliber played for UW you’d have to go waaaay back to...2017.

Because we can't run a decent zone defense with one of those 6-7 250lbs mid-major centers who can score points, but can't block shots and cover the baseline corner three point shooter.

Gotta say, though - Otis, Jeremy and Arinze were part of some might fine S.U. teams. I'd take any one of them right now. Boeheim probably would, too.

Yes you’re right if you wanted to go back to the last time a recruit of Stewart’s caliber played for UW you’d have to go waaaay back to...2017.
Yea they're a regular recruiting power house far exceeding ACC schools.

Tampering with our recruits! Anyone who grew up in NYS is obviously automatically going to Syracuse in 2 years, no matter what!

You gotta let this one go...
Lol you haven't recognized any patterns lately? Let this one go bud.

Stewart was always a Hopkins recruit, not a Syracuse recruit. He was likely going to follow Hop wherever he went. If Hop were coaching Syracuse today, you guys would likely have Naz Carter, Hamier Wright, Isaiah Stewart and Quade Green. All those guys were Hop guys, not Washington guys.

We are very lucky to have Hop in Seattle. You guys are going through some tough times, similar to what we had at the end of the Romar tenure.