Chukwu Redshirt? | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu Redshirt?

B

Brooky03

I won't link to the story on the other Syracuse sports website because they're disloyal idiots, but one of them is claiming Chukwu "should get" his medical redshirt request granted?

Any truth to this? I thought it was pointed out here before that it's unlikely because of his redshirt/transfer year? Or is that writer full of ...?

Look no further than Dylan Ennis getting a 6th year at Oregon as a precedent. It would seem that as long as Chuckwu is in good academic standing, he'd have a solid shot. No idea what the full criteria would be.

I won't link to the story on the other Syracuse sports website because they're disloyal idiots, but one of them is claiming Chukwu "should get" his medical redshirt request granted?

Any truth to this? I thought it was pointed out here before that it's unlikely because of his redshirt/transfer year? Or is that writer full of ...?
Why would SU want it?

Why would SU want it?
Geez. I'm far from giving up on Chuckwu. I saw some potential, even in his few minutes this year. Factor in the pre-existing eye injury. Though a different situation because this was his 3rd year in college, I recall people giving up on Fab halfway through his Frosh year. I'm fully on board with maximizing PC's eligibility.

Geez. I'm far from giving up on Chuckwu. I saw some potential, even in his few minutes this year. Factor in the pre-existing eye injury. Though a different situation because this was his 3rd year in college, I recall people giving up on Fab halfway through his Frosh year. I'm fully on board with maximizing PC's eligibility.
Fab was mainly out of shape his freshman year and he made stupid mistakes but I think most people saw the talent.

Hey, you never know!!!

Hey, you never know!!!
IMG_0794.PNG

Yeah I cant see this as a bad thing, if its awarded and he has 3 years to play that would be great IMO. Remember he started playing basketball when he was in High School so the game is still newer to him. And 7'3 centers, who are not stiffs, don't grow on trees (they may be able to rescue cats from them though). If he can continue to learn, gain confidence and get stronger he most certainly will contribute to this program a year or two from now.

Add Christmas, a McD's All-American, as one who many folks gave up on during his freshman, soph, and even jr. seasons. PC seemed more nimble and athletic than a DaShonte Riley or a Billy Celuck (another guy with off the court distractions; i know, i was there).

Add Christmas, a McD's All-American, as one who many folks gave up on during his freshman, soph, and even jr. seasons. PC seemed more nimble and athletic than a DaShonte Riley or a Billy Celuck (another guy with off the court distractions; i know, i was there).
Fab and Rak were much better athletes and were far more fluid.

I think PC is much closer to Riley than Fab/Rak.

There is every reason to want PC to get another year. He could be a really nice player in the zone with more time to learn it and where to be. Even with his terrible positioning and low court awareness, he still menaced a lot of shots in the games he played this year.

Those people were stupid

Fab and Rak were much better athletes and were far more fluid.

I think PC is much closer to Riley than Fab/Rak.

I agree with that but PC wasn't a McD's AA. Let's give him a fair shake before writing him off after only a few games. If he can block 2 or 3 shots a game, alter a bunch more, chip in 6-8 total boards a game, get a few garbage baskets and play 20 minutes a game, i believe we'll all agree he's worth the scholly.

I agree with that but PC wasn't a McD's AA. Let's give him a fair shake before writing him off after only a few games. If he can block 2 or 3 shots a game, alter a bunch more, chip in 6-8 total boards a game, get a few garbage baskets and play 20 minutes a game, i believe we'll all agree he's worth the scholly.
Sure, that would be fantastic. The way he played early this year gave no indication he'll ever be a 7 rebound, 3 block defensive asset at the ACC level. At a mid-major level, yes, but I thought he looked terrible for an SU caliber player. He was slow, weak and not a good shot blocker. I hope another year of working on his strength, footwork and understanding of the zone will allow him to be a solid contributor. We need a defensive presence and he was brought in to be that, so let's hope it works out.

You guys are talking as if he's a bum. He only played 10 minutes per game under Cooley. He was a top 100 player out of high school. Let's not write him off immediately. My only concern is that during the year he sat out, nothing he did during the practices showed on the court. Hopefully, with this lost year he was in the weight room if he was allowed to do anything.

You guys are talking as if he's a bum. He only played 10 minutes per game under Cooley. He was a top 100 player out of high school. Let's not write him off immediately. My only concern is that during the year he sat out, nothing he did during the practices showed on the court. Hopefully, with this lost year he was in the weight room if he was allowed to do anything.
He tried to put on weight this year to no avail

Plus we have to remember for half his games at Syracuse he was blind in one eye. Don't give up on the young man!

Sure, that would be fantastic. The way he played early this year gave no indication he'll ever be a 7 rebound, 3 block defensive asset at the ACC level. At a mid-major level, yes, but I thought he looked terrible for an SU caliber player. He was slow, weak and not a good shot blocker. I hope another year of working on his strength, footwork and understanding of the zone will allow him to be a solid contributor. We need a defensive presence and he was brought in to be that, so let's hope it works out.

And conversely, we'd have thought Tyler Roberson would have no problem putting up better than those kinds of numbers (minus blocked shots) but alas...

...if PC can develop into a Jeremy McNeil type, i'm pretty sure we'll all be happy with the transfer in.

Agreed that he looked slow and weak and lost in the zone. Tiny sample size. I trust Jimmy B's opinion on a projection of a player over anyone's commentary on this board. Sure, he'll miss on some, but, he's hit on way more.