Chukwu Redshirt? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu Redshirt?

And conversely, we'd have thought Tyler Roberson would have no problem putting up better than those kinds of numbers (minus blocked shots) but alas...

...if PC can develop into a Jeremy McNeil type, i'm pretty sure we'll all be happy with the transfer in.

Agreed that he looked slow and weak and lost in the zone. Tiny sample size. I trust Jimmy B's opinion on a projection of a player over anyone's commentary on this board. Sure, he'll miss on some, but, he's hit on way more.
That's the hope, some extra time and experience will help. I'm just worried he won't be able to cut it physically, even if the mental aspect comes along. We'll see; hope he has a productive summer and comes back ready to provide quality minutes.

if you avg chukwa and all the bigs to 40 min a game he is second only to coleman in rebound avg..

time will tell.

If you averaged Tuffy Rhodes home runs after opening day of the 1994 season for a full season he'd be up near 500 home runs in that year alone.

From what I saw he was just as far as away as Chinoso. I'd be shocked if he ever does anything for us.

If you averaged Tuffy Rhodes home runs after opening day of the 1994 season for a full season he'd be up near 500 home runs in that year alone.

From what I saw he was just as far as away as Chinoso. I'd be shocked if he ever does anything for us.

Dude hit 531 home runs as a professional, including minor leagues!

Dude hit 531 home runs as a professional, including minor leagues!

Was it him or the other guy with the single season record in Japan? I know he was close a few times and they kept walking him.

Was it him or the other guy with the single season record in Japan? I know he was close a few times and they kept walking him.

It was him, although I don't know if it still stands. I recall another journeyman having a monster year recently. He hit over 450 just in Japan.

Edit: Yup, Alex Cabrera and another dude hit 60 subsequent to Tuffy's 55.

Geez. I'm far from giving up on Chuckwu. I saw some potential, even in his few minutes this year. Factor in the pre-existing eye injury. Though a different situation because this was his 3rd year in college, I recall people giving up on Fab halfway through his Frosh year. I'm fully on board with maximizing PC's eligibility.
You watch basketball differently than I do.

You guys are talking as if he's a bum. He only played 10 minutes per game under Cooley. He was a top 100 player out of high school. Let's not write him off immediately. My only concern is that during the year he sat out, nothing he did during the practices showed on the court. Hopefully, with this lost year he was in the weight room if he was allowed to do anything.

I wonder if the significance of being a Top 100 player in high school should be altered for those over 7 feet tall.

I wonder if the significance of being a Top 100 player in high school should be altered for those over 7 feet tall.

That's an interesting point. I personally prefer big men to come from one of the prep schools where I think the likelihood of them facing at least some competition similar size is better - as opposed to just piling up stats because you are taller than everyone.

Geez. I'm far from giving up on Chuckwu. I saw some potential, even in his few minutes this year. Factor in the pre-existing eye injury. Though a different situation because this was his 3rd year in college, I recall people giving up on Fab halfway through his Frosh year. I'm fully on board with maximizing PC's eligibility.
No one with a bit of basketball sense ever gave up on Fab, and to compare the abilities and potential of the 2 is ludicrous.

No one with a bit of basketball sense ever gave up on Fab, and to compare the abilities and potential of the 2 is ludicrous.
Oh, I fully agree with this. Unfortunately, that doesn't accurately describe the entirety of this board. I recall posters saying that Fab would never find a prominent role here or that he would never be able to compete in the Big East. I also never compared the abilities/potential of Fab & Chuckwu, which I agree would be ludicrous.

I think he is quite fluid, athletic, and coordinated for 7’2”. But, for being at PC and SU now he still is so raw as a player and his understanding of the game. That part is disappointing. He needs to get stronger obviously as well. Not sure if by now those things will happen. He’s a pretty quick leaper though. I don’t know. Still a project and not sure he would be playing much on any other major college program.

I think he is quite fluid, athletic, and coordinated for 7’2”. But, for being at PC and SU now he still is so raw as a player and his understanding of the game. That part is disappointing. He needs to get stronger obviously as well. Not sure if by now those things will happen. He’s a pretty quick leaper though. I don’t know. Still a project and not sure he would be playing much on any other major college program.

Can't teach height and he definitely would, especially ones that have success developing big men.

Can't teach height and he definitely would, especially ones that have success developing big men.

Eh, we don’t know that to a certainty re: Chukwu playing for other ‘big time’ programs.

Having watched Boeheim,s Army, Riley is clearly now a very good center., although not much of an offensive threat. Same could happen over time with Chewy.

It's unlikely he'll get a 6th year (but exceptions have been made):

Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock
Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

A 6th year of eligibility has previously been granted to players in situations somewhat similar to Chukwu's (no real reasons given why, NCAA just NCAAin') but realistically there is no reason to think Chukwu will be granted a 6th year of eligibility