Circle the Wagons or Circular Firing Squad | Syracusefan.com

Circle the Wagons or Circular Firing Squad

Its us and the rest of the power five that will have the NCAA circling the wagons and then waving the white flag tomorrow.

Too bad if looks like it will be after the hammer is dropped on us. I doubt we'd be able to undue what is done.

But I'm expecting the latter

The latter will simply be the loudest bunch making the most noise IMO. There is a faction of SU fans here that have a very big issue with how things with our program and JB specifically play out in the media. If this is an important criteria for a fan then its likely to play badly and they are likely to be firing squad types rather than circle the wagon types.

Too bad if looks like it will be after the hammer is dropped on us. I doubt we'd be able to undue what is done.

We've heard 2nd hand information from some posters that certainly have had good information in the past but I really won't devote much energy to being upset until the ruling comes down because I have enough other things going on. I do feel that what happens tomorrow may effect the severity of our final judgment and penalty. The fact that this meeting is even happening just shows that the P5 has the NCAA by the balls (controls all the money) and I hope they realize and approach the meeting as dictating terms of surrender to the NCAA. You know with the UNC stuff on the horizon the ACC will want to have some say in penalties pending and future and the SEC and BiG will be right there with them because of football.

Last edited:
We've heard 2nd hand information from some posters that certainly have had good information in the past but I really won't devote much energy to being upset until the ruling comes down because I have enough other things going on. I do feel that what happens tomorrow may effect the severity of our final judgment and penalty. That fact that this meeting is even happening just shows that the P5 has the NCAA by the balls (controls all the money) and I hope they realize and approach the meeting as dictating terms of surrender to the NCAA. You know with the UNC stuff on the horizon the ACC will want to have some say in penalties pending and future and the SEC and BiG will be right their with them because of football.

This is very solid but reading the tea leaves, it sounds the ban is going to happen and it could be announced today, ahead of the meeting tomorrow.

This is very solid but reading the tea leaves, it sounds the ban is going to happen and it could be announced today, ahead of the meeting tomorrow.

My reasoning your tea leaves we just don't know yet.

Possibly, but again I'm not reacting until we get the official word then I'll be upset, throw some things, remember I'm still and SU fan and move on.

I am thinking that the P5 may ask for something like a conference representative being part of any investigation, penalties or hearings on one of their teams.

Which way are we going to choose to handle whatever is about to happen to us?

I hope it's the former.

Unfortunately people are going to be calling for JB's head. You know that's what you'll see on here, Syracuse.com, and on local talk radio. I think we are going to see the biggest meltdown we've ever had.

I will choose to circle the wagons...

Unfortunately people are going to be calling for JB's head. You know that's what you'll see on here, Syracuse.com, and on local talk radio. I think we are going to see the biggest meltdown we've ever had.

I'm a circle the wagons type myself when things get bad. What are you going to do it could be you that's in hot water one day.

"The evil you know is better than the evil you don't know." or "meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

I just don't see what we accomplish by getting rid of JB.

Cusefan0307 said:

Agree, the loudest voices will begin the firing squad.

I'm going to circle the wagons.

Last edited:
Our only potential saving grace is UNC. I don't think anyone is going to come rushing to the defense of SU, but if you scale the infractions at SU to what happened at UNC and then do equal scaling of penalties, the ACC and the world at large has to be concerned about the veritable end of UNC as an athletics entity. That is the only reason anybody would "be on our side" in terms of trying to get our sentence reduced. Miami lost 3 out of 85 football scholarships in their 3rd blockbuster case of egregious violations that involved money, bounties, hookers, yachts and gifts all the way to the university president level, players actually being murdered, etc - so we know they'll throw the book at SU if they found out somebody picked up one of our players while hitchhiking but didn't call every other student on campus to also offer them a ride.

Those people should probably go root for a D-3 school and forget ever having aspirations of Cuse football becoming a national player again. Clearly they have a totally distorted view of the world of college athletics. I'm not saying what Cuse does is right but we aren't the worst, not by a longshot, and people need to realize that. This is a world they know nothing about and this holier than thou attitude is really puzzling to me. It seems everything is fine until you get caught? That time will come, it's going to come for the UK's, UNC's, Duke's of the world too and it's all under the hypocritical hand of the NCAA that fosters an environment for this to happen and for whimsical prosecutors to pick and choose who to go after with no rhyme or reason.

Our only potential saving grace is UNC. I don't think anyone is going to come rushing to the defense of SU, but if you scale the infractions at SU to what happened at UNC and then do equal scaling of penalties, the ACC and the world at large has to be concerned about the veritable end of UNC as an athletics entity. That is the only reason anybody would "be on our side" in terms of trying to get our sentence reduced. Miami lost 3 out of 85 football scholarships in their 3rd blockbuster case of egregious violations that involved money, bounties, hookers, yachts and gifts all the way to the university president level, players actually being murdered, etc - so we know they'll throw the book at SU if they found out somebody picked up one of our players while hitchhiking but didn't call every other student on campus to also offer them a ride.

You hit on a key factor though, football! The football stuff has suddenly been being drastically reduced for the P5 teams and mostly because how does the NCAA pay for anything without them? They don't. That said the P5 programs aren't going to put up with bball getting hammered on by the NCAA anymore than fball moving forward IMO. It may be too late to help us in this instance but in the long run I just cannot see the P5 letting the NCAA snoop around for any real length of time and decide the fate of any of their teams.

You hit on a key factor though, football! The football stuff has suddenly been being drastically reduced for the P5 teams and mostly because how does the NCAA pay for anything without them? They don't. That said the P5 programs aren't going to put up with bball getting hammered on by the NCAA anymore than fball moving forward IMO. It may be too late to help us in this instance but in the long run I just cannot see the P5 letting the NCAA snoop around for any real length of time and decide the fate of any of their teams.
The ACC should be REAL interested in how this plays out for us as this not only affects us, it also affects another ACC flagship in UNC. I can't imagine our conference is going to just sit there while the NCAA tries to put the smack down on two of it's biggest name schools.

The ACC should be REAL interested in how this plays out for us as this not only affects us, it also affects another ACC flagship in UNC. I can't imagine our conference is going to just sit there while the NCAA tries to put the smack down on two of it's biggest name schools.

Agreed they had a representative at our hearings. You know they have to be thinking of SU is getting this then that equates to 3/ years maybe more for UNC which we just aren't going to let happen. Plus SU even as a new member is more valuable bball wise than most of the other programs. Just look at the Duke/SU buzz alone from last year and they have been hyping the sheet out of 4 HOF coaches all with 700+ wins ect.

Agreed they had a representative at our hearings. You know they have to be thinking of SU is getting this then that equates to 3/ years maybe more for UNC which we just aren't going to let happen. Plus SU even as a new member is more valuable bball wise than most of the other programs. Just look at the Duke/SU buzz alone from last year and they have been hyping the sheet out of 4 HOF coaches all with 700+ wins ect.
Sacrificial lamb.

Sacrificial lamb.

Lets hope not although I have had the inkling that the NCAA may be firing their last shots figuring they won't be able to again.

honestly, with all due respect to anomander, I don't believe him.

if the only problems under consideration are the ones we have heard about, then the sanctions being bandied about are not commensurate with the violations. It simply doesn't make any sense; the math does not work. So, I don't believe them.

But, if we do get hit with serious sanctions, then there must be more to the story than what we have read so far. And, if that is the case - if there is something serious enough to warrant a multiple year loss of multiple scholarships plus a post season ban - then there has to be an administrative housecleaning.

on the other hand, if anomander is correct and we are indeed getting hammered over nickle and dime infractions, then the university should go to war.

jordoo said:
Lets hope not although I have had the inkling that the NCAA may be firing their last shots figuring they won't be able to again.

Sadly I think we are a perfect target. We have some media friends but we aren't a huge state school or a USC with its LA location and rich alumni base.

I still laugh at Miami who got the equivalent of a parking ticket. No a warning for a parking ticket.

When as best I can tell, the game Grand Theft Auto is based completely on their football program.

"When as best I can tell, the game Grand Theft Auto is based completely on their football program." Well played sir... well played!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom