Our tackling & OL / DL push is skibidi toilet | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our tackling & OL / DL push is skibidi toilet

CFP was always silly. Let’s just have a good season for Christ’s sake.

The doom and gloom is asinine; everyone needs to grow up.
Everyone gets to have an opinion, not just yours has validity.

Did anyone think we were going to field a SEC powerhouse level team this year? Talks of the CFP being possible, which I participated in, were always based heavily on our schedule. If this is an 8 win team on our normal schedule, this year it could run the table. If it does, we would need a fairly big upset in the ACCCG but it's not impossible to pull one off one time.

Put more simply, the CFP talk was a fun way of saying "Hey we may be good enough to beat Miami at home and NC State on the road."

Yesterday didn't do much to change that. Next week's game will tell us a lot. GT is better than I expected, and I am concerned with our run defense - but a lot of it was stuff that's fixable, so we'll see.
Agreed. GT will tell us a lot. W Wax out though, our chances are severely diminished.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very pleased w the win & the things I didn't mention above. Just surprised at how bad the tackling was.

Dream on. 8 wins is not happening. I will be happy with 6. Ga. Tech. Is not dim witted. They will run on us and our time of possession will be awfully small. Everyone will exploit our weakness. We traded undersized and nimble for big and slow.

The hardest thing to get are big and quick linemen. That is what separates the haves from the have nots.
You must be a blast to hang out with.

Definitely not SEC level. Dreams of sneaking into the CFP, which I myself believed possible, now seem extremely misguided. 8 wins would be nice.

Flipped over to some SEC games & was immediately hit w a significantly raised level of play. Not just talent, effort. I'm sure it's a bit of both, but you're telling me we cannot run against a MAC team? We're giving up 230ish to a MAC runner?

Hope Fran can address whatever is addressable, given our talent & Wax being injured, and quick.

Most disappointed in the tackling. Very Grob, Dino & Shaferish.
For the first 2-3 minutes, I was thinking this is just like last season - very Dino-esque: couldn't stop the run, penalties, poor QB throws, and running in up the middle for 3 yds a couple of times. Great that most of that improved as the game went on.

Everyone gets to have an opinion, not just yours has validity.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, not every opinion is created equal.

It's basic observation.

The line did not get great push. Against Ohio. Not State.

For all the 4 star DBs we recruited, we will need to improve the line(s).

I'm not claiming entitlement to anything.
Ohio won 10 games two years in a row. They are not some slack ass MAC team. It’s also the first game in a new system with all new coaches. Let’s stop hyperventilating like asthmatic children.

Agreed. GT will tell us a lot. W Wax out though, our chances are severely diminished.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very pleased w the win & the things I didn't mention above. Just surprised at how bad the tackling was.

I didn't think that Wax had that great a game, TBH. McDonald, too.
Sparrow and the transfer were our two best LBs last game.
Might see some shake up in the 2 deep.

I didn't think that Wax had that great a game, TBH. McDonald, too.
Sparrow and the transfer were our two best LBs last game.
Might see some shake up in the 2 deep.
Well to be fair they largely came on in the second half when some obvious adjustments were made.

The key thing is this - we know we have a pretty well operating offense, was our D torched by them all offseason or did it hold up? If it held up, then this could have been a case of stagefright combined with just a bad outing. If it didn’t hold up, then we have a potential personnel issue.

I’m hoping it was more the former scenario than the latter. If we really do have a personnel issue then there’s only so much you can do with that. Get used to shootouts because we’ll need to rely on strong offensive performances to win etc.

Definitely not SEC level. Dreams of sneaking into the CFP, which I myself believed possible, now seem extremely misguided. 8 wins would be nice.

Flipped over to some SEC games & was immediately hit w a significantly raised level of play. Not just talent, effort. I'm sure it's a bit of both, but you're telling me we cannot run against a MAC team? We're giving up 230ish to a MAC runner?

Hope Fran can address whatever is addressable, given our talent & Wax being injured, and quick.

Most disappointed in the tackling. Very Grob, Dino & Shaferish.
You mean it’s possible recruiting rankings may actually make a difference in talent?

When the Ohio OL came out after half-time they were heard in the stands behind their bench saying that SU D was soft. After they scored on their opening drive of the 2nd half they were even more animated. They had some long drives in the 2nd half that didn't result in points but good thing our offense scored. We need to get better on D this week or our offense better get even better. I was disappointed we didn't show more toughness up front there was running room that contributed to missed tackles.

Last edited:
Dream on. 8 wins is not happening. I will be happy with 6. Ga. Tech. Is not dim witted. They will run on us and our time of possession will be awfully small. Everyone will exploit our weakness. We traded undersized and nimble for big and slow.

The hardest thing to get are big and quick linemen. That is what separates the haves from the have nots.
My bad.

My bad.
Mayhem What GIF by MOODMAN