CJ Fair -- POY? | Syracusefan.com

CJ Fair -- POY?

billsin01

All American
I've heard this mentioned a couple of times, most recently on the broadcast last night. I don't know that Fair is a guy I'd pimp as a POY candidate, but I do think he is one of the few SU players I can remember who plays notably better as the competition increases over the course of the season. When we're blowing teams out by 40 every night in November and December, Fair can get lost in the shuffle. But then the BE schedule rolls around and Fair kicks it in.

Now, obviously minutes play a role in his increased production, but Fair is averaging basically 16 ppg and 8 rpg on 47% shooting in BE play. Pretty remarkable considering he only averaged 12.6 out of conference. That number would look even more skewed if you took out the numbers for our "best" out of conference foes (Temple, SD State and Arkansas), in which Fair averaged 18.7 and 7 rpg.

Now obviously, as mentioned, the points per minute numbers decrease. I'm also not sure I'd say he's a POY type. But it's worth pointing out just how solid CJ is when the competition gets real. Underrated trait, IMO.

He has to be considered for BE POY anyways. He's just so solid it doesn't even seem like he's giving you what he ends up with on the stat line at the end of the night.

i think otto porter will get it, cj is too under the radar.

He needs to touch it almost every time down the floor. Good things tend to happen.

when the ball goes up on the defensive end, he always seems to emerge from the crowd with the rebound.

Based off this trajectory CJ should be averaging Wes like Stats next year.

Wes 2010-11 16.5 ppg 50%fg 41%three point percentage 8.5RPG
Fair 2012-13 14.3ppg 7.3 RPG 48% FG 43% three point percentage

And as I recall Wes stats declined as the season went on while CJ's have increased.

He'll fall short of poy barring some explosion over the next three weeks. Should be a first team selection tho. Definitely the best player on this team, and definitely a shame they don't go to him more often.

No chance. The season's narrative began with MCW as a player of the year candidate, so Fair has too much competition from his own team. A consummately solid player without eye-popping numbers can get POY if his team runs away with the conference AND there are no other viable candidates on the roster. We have three conference losses and MCW gets a lot of pub.

we need to win the regular season title outright for him to have a legit shot.

Triche has to be first team, right? And you would think that MCW would be a 1st teamer since he's going top 5 in the draft (or so I hear). No way you can keep CJ off first team... But there is no way we're getting 3. Who gets left out? I say no way is Triche left off 1st team, he's a senior and all the other coaches in the league have high respect for him.

Could MCW be our second consecutive lottery pick who doesn't make conference 1st team?