CJ Fair should have left | Syracusefan.com

CJ Fair should have left

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
Should Cj Fair left after last year to the nba? Just about every mock I see has him completely not being drafted while last year he seemed to be a lock. He was getting looked at late first, and early second last year... His "down" year, or whatever you wanna call it seemed like he should of left last year. Regardless, I sincerely hope he gets drafted and the best works out for him because he is an absolute CLASS act and one of my favorite Orangemen in my lifetime. Regardless he will make a killing overseas

Should Cj Fair left after last year to the nba? Just about every mock I see has him completely not being drafted while last year he seemed to be a lock. He was getting looked at late first, and early second last year... His "down" year, or whatever you wanna call it seemed like he should of left last year. Regardless, I sincerely hope he gets drafted and the best works out for him because he is an absolute CLASS act and one of my favorite Orangemen in my lifetime. Regardless he will make a killing overseas

Obviously I'm very happy that he stayed because he was our senior leader and leading scorer, but yes he probably did cost himself a bit of money by staying. He improved considerably each of his first three years, but hit a lull and was exposed somewhat this past season when he had to be the go-to guy. He just doesn't have the handle and explosiveness off the dribble to be an NBA small forward. As you said, he will do very well for himself overseas and I wish him nothing but the best.

I am glad he stayed. I hope he never regrets it.

There's a reason he didn't go last year. He wasn't an NBA player last year and isn't one this year. Great college kid that's just a tweener at the pro level.

There's a reason he didn't go last year. He wasn't an NBA player last year and isn't one this year. Great college kid that's just a tweener at the pro level.

Agreed. No brainer. Great kid and college player. Not enough game to project to the next level, imo.

Glad he stayed. Always enjoyed his smooth game. If he went last year, his faults would have shown up in the workouts and they would have been more obvious than this year. It would have been similar to what is happening with McAdoo.

I don't think it would have mattered. His stock wasn't really on the rise.

I agree for the most part; although I think he would have gone a little higher than where he will go this year (if at all). The problem with him this year, which I feared coming into the season, was that he was going to be asked to do something that he isn't really built for (very much like Kris Joseph's senior year) and that is being the go to guy. He is an incredible talent but just not "that guy" in my opinion. Now if Grant could have stepped it up a bit more, that would have helped but when he had to try and carry the team at times, this didn't bode very well for the 'Cuse nor him. The other glaring issue is that he is trying to get into a league which doesn't really have a position well suited for him.

Nobody leaves early just to get drafted. Leaving early only makes sense if you'll get picked in the lottery or, at least, first round. Fair was never at that level.

CJ's biggest failing as a player was his inability to be the focal point. He excelled at at being a complementary player who did the dirty work and was more than a competent 2/3rd option. His chance at the League is the same. Any GM who is looking for him to come in and be the man should be fired now. Any GM who thinks that they would get a potentially great role player off the bench, especially as a 2nd round steal or an UFA, should get a raise ASAP.

I agree with some but Fair didn't have nearly as good of a year as I thought. Reminded me of KJo.. Great third scorer but will struggle as the main scorer.. He still had a good year by medias standards by making ACC first team... Still his biggest downfall without a freaking doubt was his complete drop off in his three point shot... How the heck do you shoot twenty percent points worst?!?! That in my opinion really hurt him

That's not completely true. Some guys are going to leave because they simply want to get paid. This is a pretty good read about the life of a fringe NBA player. 30k for a 10-day contract is still going to appeal to a lot of college students

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ander-blue-eight-teams-one-year-espn-magazine

Right, but you don't sell yourself short and cut and run just so you can get paid unless there are underlying issues in college. CJ Fair is a competitor; here's no way he or anybody else thought he had leveled off after his Junior year. Conventional wisdom says he would get paid more after staying.

I don't remember anybody suggesting that CJ get out while the getting was good his Junior year. And for good reason.

IF the NBA is accurate on their assessments of him...then it really wouldn't have mattered. See Kris Joseph or Andy Rautins. Drafted, but barely got a whiff of playing time in actual games and didn't make it their second year.

So would it make much of a difference if CJ followed that path after his junior year rather than senior year?

That's not completely true. Some guys are going to leave because they simply want to get paid. This is a pretty good read about the life of a fringe NBA player. 30k for a 10-day contract is still going to appeal to a lot of college students

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ander-blue-eight-teams-one-year-espn-magazine

That's fine for some, if that's what they want to do or if getting a degree is never a real option for them. CJ didn't need to leave early to chase 10 day contracts, though. He can do that now, plus hold a college degree and be better set up for when he's not getting paid to play hoops anymore.

I really don't think his inability to be the focal point of an offense is much of a factor here. It's not like an NBA team would ever expect that of him. That inability hurt the SU team, as we flat out couldn't score enough to go far. But for his NBA prospects?

I mean, John Wallace showed he could be the focal point of a college offense his senior year(at our most optimisitic that's what we dreamed of for CJ's senior year), and when it came to the NBA it didn't mean a thing. John didn't get drafted any higher than he would've as a Junior.

I don't think the NBA cares about that with marginal prospects, as they would never expect these guys(late 1st rounders to 2nd rounders) to be focal offensive points of anything more than their 2nd units, down the road.

And I have to add in CJ's defense...he was lighting it up in the 2nd half against Dayton. The game might've turned out differently if he touched the ball in the last few minutes. Our amazingly incredible game manager who is so proficient at "running an offense" kinda got carried away with the hero ball down the stretch.

Last edited:
I wasn't saying CJ should have left to chase the money, but that there will always be guys leaving early knowing they aren't 1st-rd picks. Many will have issues whether it's academics, coaches, etc. and with the APR/NCAA rules, colleges will almost always pay for scholarship athletes to return and complete their degree.

I think CJ made the right choice and think he has a good shot of making a team.

Nobody leaves early just to get drafted. Leaving early only makes sense if you'll get picked in the lottery or, at least, first round. Fair was never at that level.

That should be how it works out. Mr. Grant might have something to say about that "first round or stay in school" rule of thumb in a few weeks.