CJ Fair | Syracusefan.com

CJ Fair

Halfmooncuse

Hall of Fame
Not much to say on the board this am other than it is probably better that he went undrafted allowing him to makea deal with a team that he might be a better fit.
But couldn't help feel for the kid. He's been a SU guy from day one stayed four years and the program should be very proud of him and his accomplishments.
Amazing that he was selected as pre-season player in the ACC and watch all these unheralded players get selected and he did not. Seeing him in the stands with an orange tie and orange lapel flower only to leave after the 56th selection with his agent knowing that he wasn't to be selected was a downer.
I know playing in the NBA was probably his big dream but if it never happens here's hoping that Mr. Fair finds success and happiness in his other pursuits. He does have a SU degree which is no small consolation prize. Good luck CJ!,

Not much to say on the board this am other than it is probably better that he went undrafted allowing him to makea deal with a team that he might be a better fit.
But couldn't help feel for the kid. He's been a SU guy from day one stayed four years and the program should be very proud of him and his accomplishments.
Amazing that he was selected as pre-season player in the ACC and watch all these unheralded players get selected and he did not. Seeing him in the stands with an orange tie and orange lapel flower only to leave after the 56th selection with his agent knowing that he wasn't to be selected was a downer.
I know playing in the NBA was probably his big dream but if it never happens here's hoping that Mr. Fair finds success and happiness in his other pursuits. He does have a SU degree which is no small consolation prize. Good luck CJ!,

I believe he's going to latch on and stick in the NBA. Just my gut feel for how it plays out for CJ.

But even if he doesn't, he'll have the opportunity to earn a ton of $$$ playing professional basketball overseas. See: Roosevelt Bouie, Wendell Alexis, Josh Pace, etc.

That's what upsets me the most is that he was there. I truly feel bad for the guy and I'll never ever ever be able to know what it would feel like for him walking out of there in that situation. When it's all said and done I think he will really be successful somewhere else. He has far too much talent not to.

At the very worst he can make a ton of money overseas. It sucks that he was there and didnt get drafted but did people really think he was going to get drafted? I just dont see him as an NBA player. Maybe in the perfect situation or if he develops a right hand and 3 point shot but look at the undrafted list, there's a ton of good players. The NBA is a different animal. Imagine how James McAdoo feels...

More and more, coming back for another year in college is a risk you just cannot take. Ennis doesnt have lottery pick attributes but could be a 10-15 pro because of how well he can run a team, I dont know if he goes higher than 18 next year unless he completely dominated CBB and we made a deep run in the Tourney. Grant probably made a mistake but its a double edged sword. If he came back, developed some offensive game and a jumpshot, hes a lottery pick but if he doesnt, he's not getting drafted because now scouts think he's lost cause (McAdoo). CJ probably wouldve been drafted last year, came back as the focal point of the offense and while he put up numbers, was exposed as someone lacking NBA versatility and skill. Maybe the Sixers will pick him up so he can play tank ball with MCW and Grant.

At the very worst he can make a ton of money overseas. It sucks that he was there and didnt get drafted but did people really think he was going to get drafted? I just dont see him as an NBA player. Maybe in the perfect situation or if he develops a right hand and 3 point shot but look at the undrafted list, there's a ton of good players. The NBA is a different animal. Imagine how James McAdoo feels...

More and more, coming back for another year in college is a risk you just cannot take. Ennis doesnt have lottery pick attributes but could be a 10-15 pro because of how well he can run a team, I dont know if he goes higher than 18 next year unless he completely dominated CBB and we made a deep run in the Tourney. Grant probably made a mistake but its a double edged sword. If he came back, developed some offensive game and a jumpshot, hes a lottery pick but if he doesnt, he's not getting drafted because now scouts think he's lost cause (McAdoo). CJ probably wouldve been drafted last year, came back as the focal point of the offense and while he put up numbers, was exposed as someone lacking NBA versatility and skill. Maybe the Sixers will pick him up so he can play tank ball with MCW and Grant.

For them to play tank ball they would have traded MCW for Ennis, drafted not only Grant but Fair BMK and convinced Rak and Cooney to leave early and pick them up with their other 200 second round picks. ::quickly leaves the board and hides::

I kid I kid. Yeah, the McAdoo thing has got to sting real bad, going into college he was a sure fire lottery pick possibly top 5 and now he goes undrafted. This is the other side of the story when they talk about it's not good to allow players to leave directly from high school, there are plenty of guys who if they left out of high school could have the financial security they wouldn't if they went to college.

I kid I kid. Yeah, the McAdoo thing has got to sting real bad, going into college he was a sure fire lottery pick possibly top 5 and now he goes undrafted. This is the other side of the story when they talk about it's not good to allow players to leave directly from high school, there are plenty of guys who if they left out of high school could have the financial security they wouldn't if they went to college.

You could argue Paul Harris is another example of this.

CJ was in the audience in a nice suit. You could see him behind KJ McDaniels when he got picked.

It's one thing that CJ didn't get drafted. It hurts a little bit more that he should up to NYC in a nice suit expecting to get drafted.

I don't feel sorry for CJ much... He'll do better in life than most college graduates. No he didn't get drafted and that is a dream shattering experience but life goes on, he is well prepared and will have few troubles down the road..

I don't feel sorry for CJ much... He'll do better in life than most college graduates. No he didn't get drafted and that is a dream shattering experience but life goes on, he is well prepared and will have few troubles down the road..

He feels awful today, I imagine.

But it's true - if he works hard and smart and has a bit of luck, the next decade is going to be very enjoyable for him. One could do a lot worse than getting paid a good salary to play a game in Europe. Could be a very enriching experience for him.

He's going to be a good locker room guy and will get a shot to stick on the NBA. If it doesn't work out, he'll make plenty of money overseas.

Either way, I'm sure he'll be a great ambassador for SU.

CJ came back to school because he didn't get a favorable pre-draft assessment last year. That, coupled with his family's desire for him to finish his degree and the prospect of being the focal point of the offense, were why he decided to return.

Had he come back this year and showed expanded versatility and refinement, and / or shot as well as he did last year, he would not only have been drafted, but possibly attained slipping into the end of the first round.

The problem is, he DIDN'T come back and show an expanded game. He struggled as the focal point to an extent that ruined his impressive efficiency numbers and use%. And his shooting touch--which was so automatic last year, and very critical to the perception of him as an NBA prospect--plummeted.

CJ helped us win a lot of games this year, but he hurt his NBA chances by playing poorly [relatively speaking], compared to the previous year. The issue wasn't him returning for his senior year; the issue was that he didn't take it up a notch his senior year to improve his draft status.

This latter point is what I think some posters are overlooking / misinterpreting.

CJ is not and will not ever be a star as the focal point of an offense. He is a perfect 3rd or 4th banana that hustles, hits the boards hard, gets easy garbage buckets, knocks down a jumper or two for you, and is generally in the right place at the right time. Putting the ball in his hands more was not going to improve his draft stock unfortunately, he is what he is.

CJ came back to school because he didn't get a favorable pre-draft assessment last year. That, coupled with his family's desire for him to finish his degree and the prospect of being the focal point of the offense, were why he decided to return.

Had he come back this year and showed expanded versatility and refinement, and / or shot as well as he did last year, he would not only have been drafted, but possibly attained slipping into the end of the first round.

The problem is, he DIDN'T come back and show an expanded game. He struggled as the focal point to an extent that ruined his impressive efficiency numbers and use%. And his shooting touch--which was so automatic last year, and very critical to the perception of him as an NBA prospect--plummeted.

CJ helped us win a lot of games this year, but he hurt his NBA chances by playing poorly [relatively speaking], compared to the previous year. The issue wasn't him returning for his senior year; the issue was that he didn't take it up a notch his senior year to improve his draft status.

This latter point is what I think some posters are overlooking / misinterpreting.

I agree with you on all points, but I don't think it's overlooking. Just because a player comes back whether after his first, second, or third years doesn't mean he is going to improve, it doesn't mean his stock is going to get any better. Look at GMac, I think it's fair to say he was almost the same player when he left as when he got here, if Ennis stayed how much would he have really improved? Ennis could have improved and stayed in the same range of draft picks, he could have stayed and played well and slipped in the draft. He was drafted because he showed a high IQ and poise, I don't think he really could improve on either because he is at an elite level with both, but he would have been a year older which not only hurts his pocket by staying a year but also may cause him to slip a little bit.

RF2044 said:
CJ came back to school because he didn't get a favorable pre-draft assessment last year. That, coupled with his family's desire for him to finish his degree and the prospect of being the focal point of the offense, were why he decided to return. Had he come back this year and showed expanded versatility and refinement, and / or shot as well as he did last year, he would not only have been drafted, but possibly attained slipping into the end of the first round. The problem is, he DIDN'T come back and show an expanded game. He struggled as the focal point to an extent that ruined his impressive efficiency numbers and use%. And his shooting touch--which was so automatic last year, and very critical to the perception of him as an NBA prospect--plummeted. CJ helped us win a lot of games this year, but he hurt his NBA chances by playing poorly [relatively speaking], compared to the previous year. The issue wasn't him returning for his senior year; the issue was that he didn't take it up a notch his senior year to improve his draft status. This latter point is what I think some posters are overlooking / misinterpreting.
totally agree. Good post

http://syracusefan.com/threads/nba-...ng-in-school-another-year.73669/#post-1015305

You stated 3 months ago he helped his draft status.

"Well, worst case he might go higher in the second round, or he might even sneak into the first round"

Which is it?

CJ was in the audience in a nice suit. You could see him behind KJ McDaniels when he got picked.

It's one thing that CJ didn't get drafted. It hurts a little bit more that he should up to NYC in a nice suit expecting to get drafted.

To be honest I am not sure why he attended, no one had him as a first round pick.

Briancuse said:
To be honest I am not sure why he attended, no one had him as a first round pick.

He wasn't in the green room, he can still hop on stage with the deputy commish. If I thought I had a chance to get drafted id be there. Once in a lifetime opportunity, scratch that, a wet dream for 99.99999% chance for most people. You walk on that stage and you just did something many people will never ever be able to claim. I just feel bad he had to walk out of the building without getting drafted.

I think him having the heart to take that risk shows the character all of us here know he has.