CJ is the X factor the rest of the way | Syracusefan.com

CJ is the X factor the rest of the way

Gormanite4L

Walk On
Agree or Disagree? I believe we go as far as CJ will take us when he is a beast on the board and gets us second chance points that is when we extend our leads. Without CJ i see us already losing atleast 3-4 games. Also i think Dion is looking at the mock drafts too much, he's turning into a ball hog and messing with the team chemistry. I'm not a coach but when you have someone jacking up illadvised shots all the time and not looking at cj wide open in the corner that could hurt us in the long run IMO.

I was never high on CJ because imo, he is an undersized 4 or a big 3 without a reliable three point shot. However, the dude just balls out. If he can keep this up, hes our best player. Hes an athletic freak, who gets to the line, has a mid range jumper and can finish at the rim. His rebounding is very impressive, lets see if he can do that against OSU/UNC or UK.

I was never high on CJ because imo, he is an undersized 4 or a big 3 without a reliable three point shot. However, the dude just balls out. If he can keep this up, hes our best player. Hes an athletic freak, who gets to the line, has a mid range jumper and can finish at the rim. His rebounding is very impressive, lets see if he can do that against OSU/UNC or UK.
If we ever meet, we will have to fight to the death because of your first sentence.

I have been high on CJ since day 1 and have tried to tell people who continue to question his "upside". Screw the upside, what he brings to this team TODAY is exactly what we need. I love Scoop and he played great on Sunday but we dont even sniff a W without CJ's effort, especially in the first half of the Rutgers game.

Give me 10 CJ Fairs. Plays hard, plays smart, always in the right place and makes foe the most part smart decisions on the court. I am drooling over what we will see from him in the next 2 years. His shot alone from last year to this year should make everyone drool. Imagine what it will look like in 2 years.

Agree or Disagree? I believe we go as far as CJ will take us when he is a beast on the board and gets us second chance points that is when we extend our leads. Without CJ i see us already losing atleast 3-4 games. Also i think Dion is looking at the mock drafts too much, he's turning into a ball hog and messing with the team chemistry. I'm not a coach but when you have someone jacking up illadvised shots all the time and not looking at cj wide open in the corner that could hurt us in the long run IMO.

Disagree. CJ is not a creater. His pts production relies a lot on others. The creators are the x-factors. BTW, I'm a huge CJ fan.

If we ever meet, we will have to fight to the death because of your first sentence.
Haha, call me old fashioned but I like my wing players to be good 3 point shooters and my big men to be...big lol.

Haha, call me old fashioned but I like my wing players to be good 3 point shooters and my big men to be...big lol.
Dudes efficient, he's a winner And is still improving... Go get your . I do no what your saying... But trob was a big big... Dnic was all but useless until his senior season as a 3. Cj is the man

Huge CJ fan but this team looks more and more like Scoop's team every passing game. We need a lot of guys to play well to win the whole thing but when its make or break in the rourny the ball will be in Scoop's hands and while that was once a scary proposition I'm very comfortable with it right now. Its not just because Scoop is playing great but also because he has better options around him this year which make it easier to run the offense well, CJ being a big part of that.

Disagree. CJ is not a creater. His pts production relies a lot on others. The creators are the x-factors. BTW, I'm a huge CJ fan.

This is true. He's not the quickest guy in the world or a "creator" per se but for us it's imperative he continues to play well and bigger than his size. He is really finishing well, looking more explosive, and it seems like he and Scoop have a nice thing going right now. I like CJ. He and Scoop have been our most consistent players this season, imo with Fab right there also.

I respectfully disagree with the OP, though he raises an excellent topic.

If anything, CJ has been as much of a constant as anyone, and I see his improvement as steady and dare I say expected. I think he is a tremendous college role player, someone who can be relied on, on balance, to provide rebounding, defense, and he fills a nice niche with his mid-range game.

If I had to pick an X-factor, it would be someone like Dion. If Dion can grow consistently to his potential, reliably making 3's, being a go-to guy as the clock winds down, and consistently making FTs, he is the kind of player that can get us past the elite teams in the Dance.

Can we officially end the cj vs james debate?

Yes, it looks like that debate is over.

The only problem with that is the team could easily go back to the old 7-8 player form. It was exciting at the beginning of the season with the waves of people and the substitutions. Now, Fab is clearly superior to BMK, and Fair looks clearly better than Rak, and KJo is clearly better than James. So this makes it hard to get minutes for subs on the front line, outside of foul protection (which is how it was done in the old days).

I'm hoping JB continues with Rak starting. I'm also hoping JB can keep at least the first half of depth (use some MCW along with the others). And third I'm hoping JB can use the press a little more. Bring in BMK and JS and press the other team. I'd love to see some of that in the second half of games, resting your stars while forcing a lot of effort out of the other team.

I'm really hoping to see if JB will be able to do this against USF. If successful he then might do it against UConn. And then again all the way through the BET.

I respectfully disagree with the OP, though he raises an excellent topic.

If anything, CJ has been as much of a constant as anyone, and I see his improvement as steady and dare I say expected. I think he is a tremendous college role player, someone who can be relied on, on balance, to provide rebounding, defense, and he fills a nice niche with his mid-range game.

If I had to pick an X-factor, it would be someone like Dion. If Dion can grow consistently to his potential, reliably making 3's, being a go-to guy as the clock winds down, and consistently making FTs, he is the kind of player that can get us past the elite teams in the Dance.

I get this and agree mostly. Dion is an "X-factor" and will probably need to play like the first-round pick he and we think he can be in order to cut down the nets. CJ though needs to do his thing for us to get to New Orleans. If he has say a poor rebounding game in a second round match then we're probably going home since nobody else will rebound.

Yes, it looks like that debate is over.

The only problem with that is the team could easily go back to the old 7-8 player form. It was exciting at the beginning of the season with the waves of people and the substitutions. Now, Fab is clearly superior to BMK, and Fair looks clearly better than Rak, and KJo is clearly better than James. So this makes it hard to get minutes for subs on the front line, outside of foul protection (which is how it was done in the old days).

There really isnt anything wrong with going to the 7-8 man rotation. This isnt grammar school where everyone gets a chance to play. JB is going to put the guys out there that give us the best chance to win. When people piss and moan about MCW not playing more it drives me crazy. I love this kid and think he will be an all time SU great but does anyone feel comfortable with him out there in a sweet 16 game against a top 12 team? Not me.

There really isnt anything wrong with going to the 7-8 man rotation. This isnt grammar school where everyone gets a chance to play. JB is going to put the guys out there that give us the best chance to win. When people piss and moan about MCW not playing more it drives me crazy. I love this kid and think he will be an all time SU great but does anyone feel comfortable with him out there in a sweet 16 game against a top 12 team? Not me.
The only problem I see is that it lessens a strength of this current SU squad - its depth. This year SU's depth is generally superior to its competitors. To divvy out minutes in a foul protection manner, lessens one of the big advantages over the competitors.

I can understand the limited minutes in tight games for MCW and Rak because those minutes are for future development. I still like to see those though, I love watching the talented freshman gain experience. I hope JB can show the confidence that we will beat USF even with these guys in for at least the first half.

I'm really hoping that SU has wrapped up a 1 seed by the BET and that will allow JB to play a deeper bench throughout. That would be fun to watch.

I do not see CJ as an X factor. he is our steadiest player. You can basically mark him down for 10 & 6 every game. lately he seems to be upping that a little bit, hopefully it can be sustained.

Our biggest x factors, IMHO, are Dion & Scoop. Dion has not been the same since the Fab suspension. I really do not understand why that is the situation. There is no reason he souldn't be counted on for 15 per game with his skillset. I think maybe he is trying too hard to play within the system & perhaps he needs a little bit of a longer leash.

Scoop has had a real solid season overall, but he defintely mixes in a few really bad outings. It is not hard to envision one of those bad outings costing us a game in the Dance.

I get this and agree mostly. Dion is an "X-factor" and will probably need to play like the first-round pick he and we think he can be in order to cut down the nets. CJ though needs to do his thing for us to get to New Orleans. If he has say a poor rebounding game in a second round match then we're probably going home since nobody else will rebound.

I completely agree. Without solid play from CJ we won't get far. Although at this point I would consider good rebounding and defense from CJ much more of a given than I would Dion consistently providing NBA-worthy performances. Hence Dion being more of an X-factor.

Another X -factor in the late rounds of the Dance, should we be fortunate enough to get there, is how Melo will match up against the top big men from the elite teams - OSU's Sullinger, MSU's Green, UK's Davis, KU's Withey and Robinson, Mizzou's Ratliffe, Duke's Plumlees and Kelly, UNC's Henson and Zeller. Can he stay out of foul trouble? IMHO, he leaves his feet too much, and these guys could foul him out in a hurry. We are in trouble against these teams if we have to play BMK or Rak for extensive minutes. Also, can Melo put offensive pressure on these guys and open up the outside game?

If you truly think about it, Carl is our most dynamic player on the team. Name me another player on this team (maybe in the country) that has the ability to consistently drop a savage dunk, can mid range jumpers and be respectable from 3. Add to that slashing ability and a knack for the ball with regards to rebounding.

Carl is our best player

I completely agree. Without solid play from CJ we won't get far. Although at this point I would consider good rebounding and defense from CJ much more of a given than I would Dion consistently providing NBA-worthy performances. Hence Dion being more of an X-factor.

Another X -factor in the late rounds of the Dance, should we be fortunate enough to get there, is how Melo will match up against the top big men from the elite teams - OSU's Sullinger, MSU's Green, UK's Davis, KU's Withey and Robinson, Mizzou's Ratliffe, Duke's Plumlees and Kelly, UNC's Henson and Zeller. Can he stay out of foul trouble? IMHO, he leaves his feet too much, and these guys could foul him out in a hurry. We are in trouble against these teams if we have to play BMK or Rak for extensive minutes. Also, can Melo put offensive pressure on these guys and open up the outside game?

No question. All those players are good big men and all better than Fab offensively right now. Hopefully he can be enough of a threat on both ends to limit those guys' effectiveness. Personally, I feel Withey and Robinson are the most formidable tandem and want no part of those guys.

he is a valuable contributor, but I can't call him an "X factor" because he does not create his own offense.

the X factor is Scoop, without whom both CJ and Fab would have far fewer scoring opportunities. This team goes as far as Scoop takes them.

I agree with Marsh that CJ has just gone out and done what I expected him to do. But the X factor has to be Melo. Without Melo playing at least his average game we are going to be in trouble. He has to be the guy in the middle that at least makes it difficult for the other teams big man. If we don't have him against a Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, type team that has a good big man, we are toast. :(

C.J. Seems like the type of player that won't will your team to victory, but more the type of player that could mean the difference between winning and losing a game that you wouldn't really notice.

i think dion is the x factor in terms of 1 guy's performance deciding whether we're a sweet 16 team or final 4 team. if he continues playing with his head up his ass then every game with be a grind and our offense will continue to struggle. if he takes his head out of his ass and starts playing like he did the first 2 1/2 months of the season we'll be extremely tough to beat.

Look at it this way. Right now Scoop, Joseph, Fair, and Melo are playing about as good as we'd like them to. Yet, I'd say Syracuse as a team is not playing as well as they can.

Who needs to improve. Southerland, and especially Dion. We are a different (and better) team when Dion has it going offensively. He is the X factor. If Dion catches fire and everybody else plays at the level they currently are Syracuse is a tough team to beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom