CJ MUST take care of the ball today. | Syracusefan.com

CJ MUST take care of the ball today.

Eric15

Living Legend
I love CJ, but he just has to be smarter and less reckless with the ball in his hands for us to be in a strong position to win this game. Two turnovers or less is what I'm hoping for… one of those 4 or 5 turnover games is just unacceptable for a senior leader in a game of this magnitude.

If he takes care of the ball and plays under control we'll be in good shape. I always cringe when he misses his first 2 or 3 jumpers; he's one of those guys taht tries to shoot his way out of bad starts as opposed to taking it to the rim and passing more to his teammates. I love that he has the "take over" attitude; but he has to scale back sometimes. We don't need him to score 25 points; if he gets 16, less than 2 turnovers and shoots over 50% we'll be fine.

We're a better team when CJ, Cooney, Ennis and Grant all share the shots and points. If CJ takes 21 shots and has 24 points, I'd assume we lost.

Agreed. He also needs to hit the mid-range jumper with consistency. Aside from the jumper that rattled in on Thursday, I can't think of another shot that he hit from outside the paint.

Agreed. He also needs to hit the mid-range jumper with consistency. Aside from the jumper that rattled in on Thursday, I can't think of another shot that he hit from outside the paint.

He had one wide open jumper late that he made. He just needs to keep himself from hunting shots. If the drive isn't there, or a double is coming- keep your composure and pass it out. THe ball will find you again.

He's had his hands full with the double and even triple teams he's been subjected to when he gets touches. If he would look 1st to pass out of the double teams and traps and doing so resulted in some open looks for the rest of the team he'd be doing both himself and the team a big favor.

I went back and watched the W. Mich game again and every time he got the ball there was a veritable goon squad swiping, slapping, bumping, clawing and in general molesting him and not even allowing him enough room to comfortably put the ball on the floor to try to create. You can see the frustration in his face. The level of constant harassment then translates into a less than expected shooting performance from CJ as well. We really need him to play well going forward if we are going to make a serious run in this thing. I think he will rise to the occasion. CJ is a winner!

LGO!!!!!!!

He's had his hands full with the double and even triple teams he's been subjected to when he gets touches. If he would look 1st to pass out of the double teams and traps and doing so resulted in some open looks for the rest of the team he'd be doing both himself and the team a big favor.

I went back and watched the W. Mich game again and every time he got the ball there was a veritable goon squad swiping, slapping, bumping, clawing and in general molesting him and not even allowing him enough room to comfortably put the ball on the floor to try to create. You can see the frustration in his face. The level of constant harassment then translates into a less than expected shooting performance from CJ as well. We really need him to play well going forward if we are going to make a serious run in this thing. I think he will rise to the occasion. CJ is a winner!

LGO!!
He has to recognize when double teams are coming and be able to pass out of them.

I like our odds when it's Rak, Ennis, Cooney and Grant vs. 3 defenders.

Was that the 3pt play?

I think this goes for the entire team "NO LIVE BALL TURNOVERS"

Dayton wants to get out and run and live ball turnovers feed that

I think this goes for the entire team "NO LIVE BALL TURNOVERS"

Dayton wants to get out and run and live ball turnovers feed that
Has anyone done a write-up on Dayton on here? I know nothing about them; usually Marsh posts something but I haven't seen it.

Ennis and Grant are pretty consistent. We can beat anyone as long as CJ or Cooney are on. We're unbeatable if both are. CJ just needs to play for the team and not himself. If its not there, don't force it. You're points will come.

Ennis and Grant are pretty consistent. We can beat anyone as long as CJ or Cooney are on. We're unbeatable if both are. CJ just needs to play for the team and not himself. If its not there, don't force it. You're points will come.

This.

CJ is the ultimate "let the game come to me" player. When he forces things it never ends well. When he plays within himself and plays his mid range game he's a great player.

All I want from CJ is to not fall to the floor and lose the ball in this game. I love every part of his game but he hits the floor a couple times a game and loses the ball. It hurts him physically and me emotionally when this happens,

I remember early in the "Hoosiers" movie the coach would always be yelling "4 passes!". With CJ it's "no more than 4 dribbles". He gets in trouble when pounding the ball in the floor and trying to force the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom