My Take | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

I have fond memories of Thendara. Is that elephant still buried in the middle of the 9th Green?
Years ago they had several exhibitions with tour players. I went to several and saw Tony Lema, Doug Sanders and even Jackie Gleason who can really play. I didn't see the 9-hole excision with Arnold Palmer and Sam Snead. Lee Trevino also played Doug Sanders in I think 1971.

On television the late hit looked like he shoved the GT player at the last minute and that was the reason for the flag - really a dumb play.

It also looked like King's knee never hit the ground.

The onside klick fiasco is all on Vollono. Apparently, the ST players were not taught to no touch the damn ball until it goes 10 yards. That ball was headed out-of-bounds. Even if it did not they never should have been inside the 10 yards. I imagine he will a have a tough Monday.

Could not be more impressed with Nixon and ER showed his chops with the adjustments he mad for the GT game.

This team and the staff are really special.
Is it all on Vollono though?
Coach Brown took all reponsibility for that. Maybe he didn't devote enough practice time on that, maybe its not just a stand up coach saying the right things.
Its believable that ST was not focused on enough. Theres only so much practice time, coach creates a practice schedule and maybe because hes so Detailed that he wanted to perfect something else in practice that ended up taking away time from STs.
Maybe he was concerned about that going into the game. There is alot of 1st team on specials, its not like the whole special teams unit can break away and have their own practice.
Ill take coachs words on this and not blame Vollono or the players.
I bet we will see dramatic improvements.
I also think STs is one of GaTechs focuses. They have had a knack for blocking kicks.
I dont know but its all possible.

Last edited:
Is it all on Vollono though?
Coach Brown took all reponsibility for that. Maybe he didn't devote enough practice time on that, maybe its not just a stand up coach saying the right things.
Its believable that ST was not focused on enough. Theres only so much practice time, coach creates a practice schedule and maybe because hes so Detailed that he wanted to perfect something else in practice that ended up taking away time from STs.
Maybe he was concerned about that going into the game. There is alot of 1st team on specials, its not like the whole special teams unit can break away and have their own practice.
Ill take coachs words on this and not blame Vollono or the players.
I bet we will see dramatic improvements.
Maybe, but more than just the botched kick nonrecovery.

It is a great course and it was in terrific condition. I struggled some but it was not the fault of the course.

Operator error. ;)
Played there when I was young and had a decent game. Breezed through the front with an easy 39 and said this is nothing…….then got destroyed by the very narrow back side. Think I had 48 or 49 on the back with a few less balls in the bag walking to the car.

I'm not going to conclude NC State is bad based on that score. Tennessee is going to put up a lot of points this year.
True but they were pushed around on both sides of the ball. They should scored more against a high octane offense just out of sheer possession volume.

I have fond memories of Thendara. Is that elephant still buried in the middle of the 9th Green?
Years ago they had several exhibitions with tour players. I went to several and saw Tony Lema, Doug Sanders and even Jackie Gleason who can really play. I didn't see the 9-hole excision with Arnold Palmer and Sam Snead. Lee Trevino also played Doug Sanders in I think 1971.

On television the late hit looked like he shoved the GT player at the last minute and that was the reason for the flag - really a dumb play.

It also looked like King's knee never hit the ground.

The onside klick fiasco is all on Vollono. Apparently, the ST players were not taught to no touch the damn ball until it goes 10 yards. That ball was headed out-of-bounds. Even if it did not they never should have been inside the 10 yards. I imagine he will a have a tough Monday.

Could not be more impressed with Nixon and ER showed his chops with the adjustments he mad for the GT game.

This team and the staff are really special.
Yes, the elephant is still buried in the middle of the 9th green. Played it twice Friday and screwed it up both times. Like I always do.

Sigh.

Maybe, but more than just the botched kick nonrecovery.
I dont disagree at all. STs was pretty sloppy all around. I just really dont think its on Vollono here. If nothing changes? Its for sure on him and HCFB. Ill be watching.

It’s on Vollono in my opinion. Even if you never ever practiced an on side kick in practice, in the huddle before the onside kick (you know is coming) you tell everyone to sit at the 45 yard line and do not cross it unless you’re 100% sure you can field the ball. But I’m sure it’s been talked about in practice. And should have been reinforced on the sideline before the play. That kind of lack of attention to detail is what killed Dino. That comes under the category of “You had one job!”

I’m sitting here at my sons jiu-jitsu lesson messing around on my iPad and decided to rewatch the 4th quarter of the GT game.

OMFG I somehow forgot how close we were to throwing a pick on 1st and 10 on our last drive on that little dump off to LQA. The ball literally just floated in the air for a couple seconds. I have to stop torturing myself.
And yet, Allen caught the ball and the clock ticked to the 2 minute warning.

I like to think Nixon won't call that play, McCord won't throw it, or Allen won't bobble it next time out.

In my mind, we blew out a ranked team for the first time in a long time. No need to worry about the other stuff.

I have never been a fan of the 3 yd split style punt. Too many gaps for multiple guys to go thru. Maybe its cause im old fashioned. I do know that specials are a thirdof the team and as maybe a marginal playoff team, they need to be fixed and then turned into a strength. It needs to be like old Virginia Tech style specials. Blocks, returns, and just dominate that side and we can go somewhere.

Rewatching the game, we had MASSIVE holes on the line for punts and for FGs

This was absolutely by design but I hated it and I’m hoping they’ll change this.

The huge holes make an easy run right up with middle and you’re just hoping the guys on the 2nd line can block someone coming in full speed.

Needs to change, but I have full confidence it is coaching staff to make the necessary changes

Rewatching the game, we had MASSIVE holes on the line for punts and for FGs

This was absolutely by design but I hated it and I’m hoping they’ll change this.

The huge holes make an easy run right up with middle and you’re just hoping the guys on the 2nd line can block someone coming in full speed.

Needs to change, but I have full confidence it is coaching staff to make the necessary changes
I believe it was the A gaps. Not sure of the strategy, but we had a second line of defenders behind the LOS. Perhaps coaches were thinking this would be sufficient and we could move the A-gap guys to the outside to block. Snap. The rushers were stopped at the second line but penetrated far enough to get to the kicker/punter. Definitely need a re-think on this. Other ST's problems have to do with blocking for James, coverage issues and of course better planning for on-sides kicks. Lots of concerns with this phase that need to get cleaned up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom