Class size limits | Syracusefan.com

Class size limits

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
I know this has been mentioned previously but I'm still confused. I was under the impression that the new NCAA rules limited recruiting class size to 25 in a given year with no more backdating. Further, non-qualifiers would still count against the cap. Yet Clemson (and a few other powers) have exceeded that. Clemson has 27 commits - all high schoolers and all signed LOIs according to ESPN. What is the loophole that allows them to exceed the 25 signee cap? Does this mean at least a couple of the 27 will not be allowed to enroll and must take a greyshirt?

They have 17 players listed as January enrollees, with another 10 who signed in December.

Maybe some of the January kids were Class of 2018 recruits who grayshirted? Clemson only had 17 commits last year.

gbo has some 'splainin to do.

This may clarify a bit.

Oversigning - Wikipedia

Apparently you can sign up to 28 between December signing period and May 31 but can only award first time scholarships to 25 in any given scholastic year. Seems confusing and almost a bit disingenuous to go over the 25 limit unless you are very upfront and let the prospect know up front that there may not be a spot for him. .

This may clarify a bit.

Oversigning - Wikipedia

Apparently you can sign up to 28 between December signing period and May 31 but can only award first time scholarships to 25 in any given scholastic year. Seems confusing and almost a bit disingenuous to go over the 25 limit unless you are very upfront and let the prospect know up front that there may not be a spot for him. .

The NCAA was supposed to get rid of oversigning with last year's rule changes.