Classic SU Football games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Classic SU Football games

One of the forgotten great ones, was our nationally televised game against Auburn in 2001. It was the first major sporting event to be broadcast on television after 911. Dome was packed, and it was so emotional when everyone, and I mean everyone sang along to the national anthem, while fighting back tears, and waving American flags with a sense of pride, and togetherness. My how times have changed. I've never been able to find a video of the butt kicking we put on Auburn that night.

Heartbreaker with a last minute TD, but tons of offense. Nassib threw for 470. Season opener if I remember correctly.
Anybody have highlights of Marrones first win? It was over Northwestern...I think Suter had a late game INT to get the team in field position for a 44 yard gw fg...

Should that have been a touchdown at 4:26?

Last edited:
One of the forgotten great ones, was our nationally televised game against Auburn in 2001. It was the first major sporting event to be broadcast on television after 911. Dome was packed, and it was so emotional when everyone, and I mean everyone sang along to the national anthem, while fighting back tears, and waving American flags with a sense of pride, and togetherness. My how times have changed. I've never been able to find a video of the butt kicking we put on Auburn that night.
I believe that was the game where the referee collapsed at mid field of a heart attack. You could hear a pin drop when the SU medical staff were performing CPR on him. …they saved his life

I was just randomly watching the SU/Auburn Sugar Bowl on YouTube. One thing I never noticed was that Keith Jackson said during the broadcast that he liked Pat Dye's decision to (edit) kick a field goal. Something all the lines of "both teams played well, they may as well have a tie." Just an awful, awful take from a legend.

Last edited:
I was just randomly watching the SU/Auburn Sugar Bowl on YouTube. One thing I never noticed was that Keith Jackson said during the broadcast that he liked Pat Dye's decision to go for two. Something all the lines of "both teams played well, they may as well have a tie." Just an awful, awful take from a legend.
“Go for two”?

I believe that was the game where the referee collapsed at mid field of a heart attack. You could hear a pin drop when the SU medical staff were performing CPR on him. …they saved his life
Really? I don't remember...

That was East Carolina game a week or two later. I was there for that one when the ref dropped, but was not at the Auburn game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom