Clay Travis chimes in on MD, RU, etc. | Syracusefan.com

Clay Travis chimes in on MD, RU, etc.

Man, every scenario seems to center on a common theme; 4 Super conferences and assorted left-overs.
If the ACC contract remains solid, even up to the 5 year look-in by ESPN, we'll still be better off regardless.
But if the ACC is diluted over these next few years, that look-in might not be such a good thing for us.

I'd like to know why he thinks FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech would be in favor of joining the Big 12 over say Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St joining the ACC?

Man, every scenario seems to center on a common theme; 4 Super conferences and assorted left-overs.
If the ACC contract remains solid, even up to the 5 year look-in by ESPN, we'll still be better off regardless.
But if the ACC is diluted over these next few years, that look-in might not be such a good thing for us.

The ACC took a huge gamble with ND. Had ND been screwed over by the BCS, I think they would have joined as a full member. But it looks like they're in the title game, so they can continue doing whatever they want.

With Rutgers going to the Big 10, there are now 64 teams in the G5. I think adding UConn (or Louisville) to the ACC is a huge mistake in that regard. The better play is to get PSU. Otherwise, the ACC really is no better than the Big East.

I'd like to know why he thinks FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech would be in favor of joining the Big 12 over say Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St joining the ACC?

He actually does see Texas to the ACC as realistic, followed by the Big 10. He thinks Texas is afraid to join the SEC and will never be able to come to an agreement with the Pac-12.

But the problem is that the Big 12 is making the right moves to remain a power. The Sugar Bowl agreement is huge. SEC vs. Big 12 in the Sugar and Pac-12 vs. Big 10 in the Rose is a four-team playoff. That puts the ACC on the outside looking in. So why would Texas leave at this point?

The ACC took a huge gamble with ND. Had ND been screwed over by the BCS, I think they would have joined as a full member. But it looks like they're in the title game, so they can continue doing whatever they want.

With Rutgers going to the Big 10, there are now 64 teams in the G5. I think adding UConn (or Louisville) to the ACC is a huge mistake in that regard. The better play is to get PSU. Otherwise, the ACC really is no better than the Big East.

I don't see any scenario where ND would ever get screwed over. Love them or hate them, if there was ever a scenario ND has to commit to being a full membership, they can go to any conference of their choosing.

He actually does see Texas to the ACC as realistic, followed by the Big 10. He thinks Texas is afraid to join the SEC and will never be able to come to an agreement with the Pac-12.

But the problem is that the Big 12 is making the right moves to remain a power. The Sugar Bowl agreement is huge. SEC vs. Big 12 in the Sugar and Pac-12 vs. Big 10 in the Rose is a four-team playoff. That puts the ACC on the outside looking in. So why would Texas leave at this point?
Not to mention the LHN and the 13 year GOR. I can't see Texas going anywhere- more likely a possible merger should the worst case scenario happen.

I don't see any scenario where ND would ever get screwed over. Love them or hate them, if there was ever a scenario ND has to commit to being a full membership, they can go to any conference of their choosing.

Exactly, and that's why I see them joining the Big 10 if and when it comes to that.

But obviously they could have been screwed over this year. Had Oregon and K-State remained undefeated, ND would have been screwed. Had one of those two remained undefeated, Alabama could have jumped over ND with a win over Georgia. Beating USC without Barkley does nothing for ND. Would have been an easy sales pitch for Saban.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't ND have been screwed over if Oregon and K-State remained undefeated even if they were in the ACC (or even the Big 10)?

I think the consensus is that if this goes another step, it will be FSU & Clemson to the Big 12, NC State and Virginia Tech to the SEC and Virginia and North Carolina to the Big Ten.

The question, then, is who does the Big 12 take with its last four spots? Miami will assuredly be one. Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame will be the others to choose from. Notre Dame is the obvious one if they elect to finally join a conference in full.

The other issue I see is what on earth does the Pac-12 do? Because they're landlocked and because they elected not to take Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last fall (huge mistake IMHO), they will have to take schools like Hawai'i, New Mexico and UNLV if they wish to expand, unless they go wayyyyyyyyyy East and take Duke, Wake, etc. The other possibility is BYU, but the longstanding assumption has been they are vehemently opposed to BYU for reasons that are apparent given the school's mission (no pun intended). That said, BYU is the only obvious choice if the Pac-12 is to go beyond 12 teams.

I think the consensus is that if this goes another step, it will be FSU & Clemson to the Big 12, NC State and Virginia Tech to the SEC and Virginia and North Carolina to the Big Ten.

The question, then, is who does the Big 12 take with its last four spots? Miami will assuredly be one. Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame will be the others to choose from. Notre Dame is the obvious one if they elect to finally join a conference in full.

The other issue I see is what on earth does the Pac-12 do? Because they're landlocked and because they elected not to take Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last fall (huge mistake IMHO), they will have to take schools like Hawai'i, New Mexico and UNLV if they wish to expand, unless they go wayyyyyyyyyy East and take Duke, Wake, etc. The other possibility is BYU, but the longstanding assumption has been they are vehemently opposed to BYU for reasons that are apparent given the school's mission (no pun intended). That said, BYU is the only obvious choice if the Pac-12 is to go beyond 12 teams.

the new mexico's, hawaii's, unlv's, etc will not be at the big boy table. the su's, gt's, pitts etc will regardless of how the deck chairs fall.

The other issue I see is what on earth does the Pac-12 do? Because they're landlocked and because they elected not to take Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last fall (huge mistake IMHO), they will have to take schools like Hawai'i, New Mexico and UNLV if they wish to expand, unless they go wayyyyyyyyyy East and take Duke, Wake, etc.

Never happen.

You'll see ECU and Memphis in the ACC before you see UNLV in the Pac12.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't ND have been screwed over if Oregon and K-State remained undefeated even if they were in the ACC (or even the Big 10)?

Not necessarily. Being in one of those conferences means playing in a conference championship game. Not playing in a conference championship game had the potential to hurt K-State if it came to that.

Not necessarily. Being in one of those conferences means playing in a conference championship game. Not playing in a conference championship game had the potential to hurt K-State if it came to that.

Oregon isn't playing in one either though and it is going to hurt Georgia or Bama.

I was about to post something like this. I could see FSU, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, Syracuse and Pitt to the Big 12.

Since ND is on course for the BCS title game, I see them sticking to their guns and remaining an independent.

The Pac-12 has a policy against religious schools. That's one reason why it was going to be Texas Tech instead of Baylor or TCU. Ironically, they might have to take Notre Dame and BYU some day. Or they stick with 12, leaving four wild card spots for any team not in one of the four super conferences.

What are you talking about?

I was talking about this year and Oregon...even though they have a conference championship in the PAC Stanford is the one that is playing it so OU has no shot at increasing their SOS much like KState.

I was talking about this year and Oregon...even though they have a conference championship in the PAC Stanford is the one that is playing it so OU has no shot at increasing their SOS much like KState.

My premise assumes that Oregon would still be undefeated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom