Clemson AD speaks... | Syracusefan.com

Clemson AD speaks...

NKR1978

Living Legend
Doesn't say much, but interesting nonetheless. Certainly makes the ESPN contract seem better than it is at first glance.

Also, there's a pretty interesting thread on a GT site - gojackets - that talks about Big 12 expansion. Their fans seem to be pretty committed to the ACC. Seriously, the Big 12 fans are incredibly funny/pathetic in how they have invaded various ACC message boards. I understand why Big East fans hate the ACC. I don't understand why the Big 12 fans suddenly hate the ACC. The only thing I can think of is the ACC's exposure on ESPN/ABC has upset the Kansas, KSU, TT, Iowa State and Baylor fans, since those schools generally have no football history to speak of and are stuck, and will continue to be stuck, on a Fox regional network...unless they play Texas and they get to be on the LHN.

The ESPN exposure is invaluable as it is national. The look in after 5 years to determine market conditions and success of the conference will also likely increase the payout if current trajectories hold for ACC teams.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=10621

Also, this is a pretty funny one act play I lifted from gojackets:

Big12 Fan: $20 million
Rational Person: Where did you get that figure?
Big12 Fan: Grant of Rights
Rational Person: Do you know what that means?
Big12 Fan: Tier 3
Rational Person: Explain that please.
Big12 Fan: Electronic Footprint
Rational Person: OK...explain that one.
Big12 Fan: Throws baby armadillo into swimming pool, head explodes.

guess the big question is..."can anyone be believed any more"? Do we know for a fact that 'Cuse is not trying to get into the B1g? Was dropping out of the AAU a downside for 'Cuse?

Doesn't say much, but interesting nonetheless. Certainly makes the ESPN contract seem better than it is at first glance.

Also, there's a pretty interesting thread on a GT site - gojackets - that talks about Big 12 expansion. Their fans seem to be pretty committed to the ACC. Seriously, the Big 12 fans are incredibly funny/pathetic in how they have invaded various ACC message boards. I understand why Big East fans hate the ACC. I don't understand why the Big 12 fans suddenly hate the ACC. The only thing I can think of is the ACC's exposure on ESPN/ABC has upset the Kansas, KSU, TT, Iowa State and Baylor fans, since those schools generally have no football history to speak of and are stuck, and will continue to be stuck, on a Fox regional network...unless they play Texas and they get to be on the LHN.

The ESPN exposure is invaluable as it is national. The look in after 5 years to determine market conditions and success of the conference will also likely increase the payout if current trajectories hold for ACC teams.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=10621

Also, this is a pretty funny one act play I lifted from gojackets:

Big12 Fan: $20 million
Rational Person: Where did you get that figure?
Big12 Fan: Grant of Rights
Rational Person: Do you know what that means?
Big12 Fan: Tier 3
Rational Person: Explain that please.
Big12 Fan: Electronic Footprint
Rational Person: OK...explain that one.
Big12 Fan: Throws baby armadillo into swimming pool, head explodes.

Very interesting article providing info on ACC contract and difficulty of comparisons, value of ESPN coverage and exposure.

More importantly, the 5 and 10 year lookins can be very significant, since they provide an opportunity to see whether the conference has improved its performance (markets/ratings/competitive rankings) and whether that merits a significant increase in payout.

Also said no contacts between Clemson and Big 12. (Of course everyone knows that FSU and Clemson have agreed to join the Big 12 thanks to the "dude of WV"; apparently the Clemson AD is out of the loop on this.)

Very interesting article providing info on ACC contract and difficulty of comparisons, value of ESPN coverage and exposure.

More importantly, the 5 and 10 year lookins can be very significant, since they provide an opportunity to see whether the conference has improved its performance (markets/ratings/competitive rankings) and whether that merits a significant increase in payout.

Also said no contacts between Clemson and Big 12. (Of course everyone knows that FSU and Clemson have agreed to join the Big 12 thanks to the "dude of WV"; apparently the Clemson AD is out of the loop on this.)

Clemson seems to be handling this maturely. Of course you have to look at options, and I'm sure they are. FSU, they're a step better than Mizzou.

So much of the rumors seem to be driven by WVU fans. Can't they just be happy that they're leaving the Big East and have a safe and secure home? They're that upset that they were passed over by the SEC and ACC?

Clemson seems to be handling this maturely. Of course you have to look at options, and I'm sure they are. FSU, they're a step better than Mizzou.

So much of the rumors seem to be driven by WVU fans. Can't they just be happy that they're leaving the Big East and have a safe and secure home? They're that upset that they were passed over by the SEC and ACC?

-------------------

I believe what drives many of the WV posters is they feel isolated and lonely in the Big 12; as isolated as BC used to be in the ACC. Some desperately want regional members.

However, at this point, it's more than WV fans; Gregg Swain just posted ND is a done deal along with FSU. A lot of this seems to be a combination of the cynical and the gullable.

https://twitter.com/#!/GSwaim

"The ND deal apparently was a catalyst for getting FSU aboard all along. This thing is happening fast now for the Big 12."

And of course the FSU outgoing chair of their Board says FSU should be talking to the Big 12 to see what their options are, so time will tell. A lot of moving parts.

guess the big question is..."can anyone be believed any more"? Do we know for a fact that 'Cuse is not trying to get into the B1g? Was dropping out of the AAU a downside for 'Cuse?

Dropping out of the AAU was a bad move in retrospect. Syracuse should have been putting the full press on SUNY and state officials to make Upstate Medical Center a "contract collegte" in much the same way that CALS and IR are contract colleges at Cornell. Syracuse misses out on significant grant funding because it lacks a medical school. This was one of the primary reasons SU could no longer run with the AAU big boys. Conversely, Upstate Medical -- currently facing loss of accredidation -- could definitely benefit from the relative nimbleness of the private, non-profit sector found at SU. This could be a won-win for both institutions.

-------------------

I believe what drives many of the WV posters is they feel isolated and lonely in the Big 12; as isolated as BC used to be in the ACC. Some desperately want regional members.

However, at this point, it's more than WV fans; Gregg Swain just posted ND is a done deal along with FSU. A lot of this seems to be a combination of the cynical and the gullable.

"The ND deal apparently was a catalyst for getting FSU aboard all along. This thing is happening fast now for the Big 12."

And of course the FSU outgoing chair of their Board says FSU should be talking to the Big 12 to see what their options are, so time will tell. A lot of moving parts.

Clemson, FSU - they make some sense. Notre Dame fans would revolt. The B1G and ACC so long as it doesn't lose anyone are the only places Notre Dame will end up. This is getting laughable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I don't know why people keep saying this is nothing more than WVU fans. I have read the rumors about teams like FSU, Clemson, VaTech etc considering other conferences. Not one time has it been from a WVU fan or WVU blog. In fact, the big driver as far as internet chatter right now is a Clemson guy.

I don't know why people keep saying this is nothing more than WVU fans. I have read the rumors about teams like FSU, Clemson, VaTech etc considering other conferences. Not one time has it been from a WVU fan or WVU blog. In fact, the big driver as far as internet chatter right now is a Clemson guy.
The Dude of WVU?

Have you been on the wvu boards? I can see every ACC school except us, wake and bc having a soft landing, but the wvu big 12 discussion board is filled with every crackpot theory imaginable. I read the other day that Maryland was going to the Big 12. ACC boards are polluted by wvu fans talking about how the invaded fan base will love the 12.

There's smoke, I'm sure there's a fire somewhere, but that doesn't mean the wvu boards aren't an incubation chamber of insanity.

Have you been on the wvu boards? I can see every ACC school except us, wake and bc having a soft landing, but the wvu big 12 discussion board is filled with every crackpot theory imaginable. I read the other day that Maryland was going to the Big 12. ACC boards are polluted by wvu fans talking about how the invaded fan base will love the 12.

There's smoke, I'm sure there's a fire somewhere, but that doesn't mean the wvu boards aren't an incubation chamber of insanity.

No I haven't been on their boards. So what if they talk about it? The feeling here seems to be that they are the originator of everything when they really aren't. If it was us, we'd have a 1,000 threads too with every scenario and conspiracy possible.

No I haven't been on their boards. So what if they talk about it? The feeling here seems to be that they are the originator of everything when they really aren't. If it was us, we'd have a 1,000 threads too with every scenario and conspiracy possible.

If what was us?

Who is the originator from your perspective ?

If what was us?

Us being in a conference where there were rumors that FSU, Clemson, ND etc were coming too. Heck, we have a zillion threads because teams may leave our conference.

Who is the originator from your perspective ?

I've said in a couple other threads that I think it eminatees from the FSU's and Clemson's. Whether they are serious or not, or putting out feelers, or using something as leverage with the ACC I have no idea. Besides, rumors of FSU and Clemson (as well as others) looking around started before WVU even went to the B12. Last year it was the SEC.

-------------------

Was thinking of tweeting Swaim that I heard the Pac 12 is getting back involved, talking to the Oklahoma schools. Seeing if he would run with it. Strikes me as that kind of guy.

Us being in a conference where there were rumors that FSU, Clemson, ND etc were coming too. Heck, we have a zillion threads because teams may leave our conference.

Fair enough. My perspective is shaped by the fans of big 12 schools, notably WVU in conjunction with their Big 12 expansion board, that have gone to virtually ACC board trashing the ACC and imploring the fans to cone to the big 12.

Also, reading the wvu board you'll see plenty of posts stating that the person making the post has a contact and that's what he's hearing. So in those instances, rumors are coming from the wvu scout board.

Was thinking of tweeting Swaim that I heard the Pac 12 is getting back involved, talking to the Oklahoma schools. Seeing if he would run with it. Strikes me as that kind of guy.

I wonder what's going to happen with the pac, they will need to expand at some point. With a strong 12, they have no obvious candidates. They're in position of being completely over shadowed by the 12, B1G and SEC since each of those conference have obvious expansion candidates.

If I were a 12 fan I'd be worried until their contract was signed.

Clemson, FSU - they make some sense. Notre Dame fans would revolt. The B1G and ACC so long as it doesn't lose anyone are the only places Notre Dame will end up. This is getting laughable.

I like the part where Swaim says that ND will join in football as soon as the NBC contract is up. Must be hard being stuck in an exclusive national TV contract that you don't have to share with anyone. I'm sure they are counting down the minutes until they are free from the peacock shackles and can join a league. If I were NBC, I wouldn't spend too much bid and proposal $ on the extension. Same goes for other networks. Wasting your time.

I've said in a couple other threads that I think it eminatees from the FSU's and Clemson's. Whether they are serious or not, or putting out feelers, or using something as leverage with the ACC I have no idea. Besides, rumors of FSU and Clemson (as well as others) looking around started before WVU even went to the B12. Last year it was the SEC.

Half the threads on those boards lately have been started by WV fans and the threads are filled with WV fans going on an on.

You've got him pegged. I don't listen to a thing that guy says. He's the National Enquirer of realignment

Half the threads on those boards lately have been started by WV fans and the threads are filled with WV fans going on an on.

Yup -- a lot of this is originating from WVU. Its incredible how much they have stirred up the last month or two.

Thing is I can't one time recall saying to myself "oh, its just a WVU fan". Whether it be a forum, blog, article or twitter, I don't see WVU starting anything unlike when they were rumored themselves to be SEC or Big12 bound and that one female WVU fan was everywhere. Again, FSU and Clemson chatter started before WVU was Big12 bound.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2