Clemson Attendance | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Attendance

have had this discussion for years. I'd rather have a filled dome at $20 a seat and make up the money on the back end with concessions and merchandise rather than unfilled seats making 0$.

I think that the reason ticket brokers dont do this is precedent. They would rather lose $100,000 now by not lowering $100 to $50 than do it, make $100,000 now, but lose sales to future games because people hold off waiting for the prices to plummet at the end.

It sucks, and I hate it, and i think the solution should be more reasonable pricing up front, but it is what it is

I think that the reason ticket brokers dont do this is precedent. They would rather lose $100,000 now by not lowering $100 to $50 than do it, make $100,000 now, but lose sales to future games because people hold off waiting for the prices to plummet at the end.

It sucks, and I hate it, and i think the solution should be more reasonable pricing up front, but it is what it is

you're probably right but then Syracuse needs to find a way around the ticket brokers. Bands are able to do this.

Honestly it’ll be fun time for whoever is going. I hope we can play a complete game and get it loud in that dome. I am dreading a kick return though or huge first play from Etienne.

LOT of ticket sales misconceptions on this site.

1. It is 100% not your ticket rep's fault, trust me.
2. Ticketmaster is not reselling tickets, there would be an independent broker as TM got in a ton of trouble for that.
3. A sellout is a sellout regardless of show rate.
4. Making money "on the backend" through F&B/merch is a horrible business model. Ticket sales is where the money is

Yeah, I know, it's out of her control. But still...doesn't sit right that she's telling me there's nothing available when in actuality there're 4,000 seats available.

2. Ticketmaster is not reselling tickets, there would be an independent broker as TM got in a ton of trouble for that.
3. A sellout is a sellout regardless of show rate.
4. Making money "on the backend" through F&B/merch is a horrible business model. Ticket sales is where the money is

Ticketmaster or whomever, it doesn’t matter. Someone(s) was able to extract 4,000 tix from SU to Ticketmaster/Live Nation to whomever. They are all culpable and legal or not it is still scalping and a horrendous way for fans to be treated. How much of a kickback do each get?

And yes, technically it is a sell out because 4,000 tickets were sold to a scalper. But if many of them don’t sell now it’s going to look real JV to call it a sell out.

Yeah, I know, it's out of her control. But still...doesn't sit right that she's telling me there's nothing available when in actuality there're 4,000 seats available.
The reps have no control over broker sales, and probably don't know what is and what isn't sold to brokers so what do you want her to do?

Ticketmaster or whomever, it doesn’t matter. Someone(s) was able to extract 4,000 tix from SU to Ticketmaster/Live Nation to whomever. They are all culpable and legal or not it is still scalping and a horrendous way for fans to be treated. How much of a kickback do each get?

And yes, technically it is a sell out because 4,000 tickets were sold to a scalper. But if many of them don’t sell now it’s going to look real JV to call it a sell out.
Ticketmaster gets their fees through resale but SU wouldn't be getting any kick back outside of original ticket cost. The only benefit to SU here is not being the one having to deal with moving 4,000 tickets in 4 days and still being able to announce a sellout. The broker is the one who mismanaged this by listing tickets so high and now having to damage control after a loss.

Also, when there's 45k in the building, it looks like a sellout, so even if none of those seats fill it'll look fine.

Ticketmaster gets their fees through resale but SU wouldn't be getting any kick back outside of original ticket cost. The only benefit to SU here is not being the one having to deal with moving 4,000 tickets in 4 days and still being able to announce a sellout. The broker is the one who mismanaged this by listing tickets so high and now having to damage control after a loss.

Also, when there's 45k in the building, it looks like a sellout, so even if none of those seats fill it'll look fine.
No it won’t. There are huge chunks of sections on the upper deck TV side. It’ll look terrible.

The reps have no control over broker sales, and probably don't know what is and what isn't sold to brokers so what do you want her to do?

In this era when every piece of data is prized, they are collecting and internally sharing this information? That'd surprise me.

My gripe is with the broader ticketing situation. 15 years ago we had no ticket reps and SU's ticket sales were as straightforward as could be: they sold individual tickets to human beings who wanted to attend the game until there was no supply left. Since that time, the customer experience -- despite a lot of resources ostensibly expended to help the customer -- is diminished.

No it won’t. There are huge chunks of sections on the upper deck TV side. It’ll look terrible.

In isolation it will look just fine. It will be loud and energy packed.

Then the second the PA guy announces a sell out everyone will look up and see massive swaths of silver and it will look silly.

My suggestion is not to make an announcement at the game unless the big chunks of silver dramatically reduce in size.

In this era when every piece of data is prized, they are collecting and internally sharing this information? That'd surprise me.

My gripe is with the broader ticketing situation. 15 years ago we had no ticket reps and SU's ticket sales were as straightforward as could be: they sold individual tickets to human beings who wanted to attend the game until there was no supply left. Since that time, the customer experience -- despite a lot of resources ostensibly expended to help the customer -- is diminished.
The director of ticket sales and managers probably have this information but a rep has no use for that information. Not to mention it is a sold ticket so even if they did know it doesn't matter.

15 years ago there were definitely ticket brokers, you just didn't know it because there wasn't a map online to tell you differently.

That upper deck is the one the camera faces, and I think it's not going to look good at all.

McDonough is probably going to make a comment.

End of the day, I don't really care. It will be loud and hopefully enough to help us win.

Honestly it’ll be fun time for whoever is going. I hope we can play a complete game and get it loud in that dome. I am dreading a kick return though or huge first play from Etienne.
The Maryland debacle means the crowd will be back in a “show me” attitude before they make a serious effort. Clemson goes up 14-0 and the crowd will be tuned out and checking their phones.

People will show for the most part if they already bought tix. I’m more concerned now with the 4,000+ that are being scalped on the Ticketmaster site. Will there be any desire for them or any kind of walk up if the prices were dropped back to cost and put on sale by SU?
The biggest problem will be how long people stay? This has the makings of being down 30+ at the half.

That upper deck is the one the camera faces, and I think it's not going to look good at all.

End of the day, I don't really care. It will be loud and hopefully enough to help us win.

Yeah, end of the day we usually drink a bunch and have fun at noon games against directional no-name schools.

Saturday's the first Dome game in 10 months and a prime time game against a real opponent. We're going to enjoy ourselves whether there's 43,000 or 49,200 people in there (arguably it'll be more pleasant with the lower number). Though we'll all roll our eyes when they announce the figure, as is the local custom.

Plus, it can't be more miserable than sitting through last Saturday's game.

Yeah, end of the day we usually drink a bunch and have fun at noon games against directional no-name schools.

Saturday's the first Dome game in 10 months and a prime time game against a real opponent. We're going to enjoy ourselves whether there's 43,000 or 49,200 people in there (arguably it'll be more pleasant with the lower number). Though we'll all roll our eyes when they announce the figure, as is the local custom.

Plus, it can't be more miserable than sitting through last Saturday's game.

I don't care how hot it is in the Dome. Sun hot is different. And that sun on Saturday made a bad thing much worse.

I don't understand why people worry so much about attendance and how many people are actually there and when people get there and leave. It's all out of your control. So what if Sean McDonough makes a comment or you see some empty seats on TV?

Just be loud, be happy we should have a bigger crowd than years past, root the team on, and enjoy the game.

it would appropriately newhousey for him to do that

I want a full dome.

This is the first time I’ve seen tangible excitement around the program in my entire life.

I don’t want it to pass as looking full. I want it to be full.

Like I mentioned in another thread, 45k may look close to a sell out if the unsold tix are scattered throughout the building in each section. But they are confined to the upper halves of the upper deck. See my pics above. If it stays that way, it will not be good. And SU should do something about this whole process.

I wish they wouldn’t sell chunks like that. It’s awful. If you spread those 5,000 tickets throughout the dome it would be fine. It just looks bush league IMO.

It technically is a sell out to the university in terms Of money. But they keep saying oh it’s gonna be packed for the first time in 20 years when in reality the crowd for West Virginia with marrone was bigger.

It’ll be a good crowd but not what it’s cracked up to be.

I don't understand why people worry so much about attendance and how many people are actually there and when people get there and leave. It's all out of your control. So what if Sean McDonough makes a comment or you see some empty seats on TV?

Just be loud, be happy we should have a bigger crowd than years past, root the team on, and enjoy the game.

It bothers me as a PR pro who got his degree at SU that they would be so stupid as to put on a tee the criticism of referring to a game with 4000 empty seats as a shutout, in the building, as the actual game is happening in real time. Yes. I know it technically is but you are not helping yourself by making a show of it in that moment. Put out a release later if you want, but they are going to look like fools making an announcement at the game. Don't open yourself up to that.

Just be as smart as you trained me to be is all i ask.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom