Clemson & Coach Dabo Swinney agree to new 8 year contract | Syracusefan.com

Clemson & Coach Dabo Swinney agree to new 8 year contract

That's a lot of money. He's not leaving them for any school not named Alabama. And those buyouts will not even cause Bama to pause. His assistants make Top 3 money. I think they are overpaying by $.5m to $1.5m. Good for him.

They were paying Dabo around $5 million plus bonuses during the last 2 years. With the NC it should be at what they are paying at $6 million as they are now a perennial top 10 team. Surprised it is a little more like $7 million but maybe Dabo went for the extended term instead. Certainly helps in recruiting for them.

Dino is paid at $2.5 million plus bonuses. Right where he should be - it's a very competitive wage and is competitive to a P5 top 40-50ish compensation. However, once he starts recruiting top 25 classes and we end up being ranked in the top 25, the minimum range of a top 15 to 30 team is between $3.5-$4 million plus bonuses. They will need to pay him $4 million to keep him long term once he gets us to that level.

I think with Wildhack as AD plus Tirico on the BOD, paying Dino $4 million per year with top 25 performance on the field & off with recruiting is attainable at SU. I wonder how high SU is willing to go if a top 10-15 level school comes knocking with an offer around $5 million.

But first let's get to a bowl game starting this year! Go Orange!

Last edited:
They were paying Dabo around $5 million plus bonuses during the last 2 years. With the NC it should be at what they are paying at $6 million as they are now a perennial top 10 team. Surprised it is a little more like $7 million but maybe Dabo went for the extended term instead. Certainly helps in recruiting for them.

Dino is paid at $2.5 million plus bonuses. Right where he should be - it's a very competitive wage and is competitive to a P5 top 40-50ish compensation. However, once he starts recruiting top 25 classes and we end up being ranked in the top 25, the minimum range of a top 15 to 30 team is between $3.5-$4 million plus bonuses. They will need to pay him $4 million to keep him long term once he gets us to that level.

I think with Wildhack as AD plus Tirico on the BOD, paying Dino $4 million per year with top 25 performance on the field & off with recruiting is attainable at SU. I wonder how high SU is willing to go to the top 10-15 level school comes knocking with an offer around $5 million.

But first let's get to a bowl game starting this year! Go Orange!

If another school ever wants to pay Dino $5 million a year, I'd say that's a very good problem for SU to have.

I have found that in the long term, it is almost always cheaper to overpay talent by 15-25% than to underpay by 15-25%.

Smart move by Clemson.

If I am a betting man, Wildhack agrees with my analysis based on how well he (and ESPN) have done over three decades.

is this true? seems that reality says its backwards. i think if you over pay your team by 20% in whatever sport you will in the long run be behind everyone else. when you underpay, guys seems to know they have to play to earn that extra they want and while you will lose some of them you better effort out of almost all of them.

If another school ever wants to pay Dino $5 million a year, I'd say that's a very good problem for SU to have.

And one that shouldn't be a problem for long. Should be as long as it takes to find the checkbook.