Clemson game | Syracusefan.com

Clemson game

adk(roc)CUSE

All Conference
Sure would like to stay out of that 8/9 ACCT game with..Clemson...at Noon. to do that we gotta win on the road Saturday or hope BC beats NC State (which is conceivable.)

Sure would like to stay out of that 8/9 ACCT game with..Clemson...at Noon. to do that we gotta win on the road Saturday or hope BC beats NC State (which is conceivable.)

This isn't correct. The only way we can be an 8 seed is if Louisville beats UVA, we lose to Clemson, and NC State wins the last 2. In that scenario, UL is the 6, NC State is the 7, we are the 8.

Barring a Louisville win at UVA, we are locked into the 6 or 7.

This isn't correct. The only way we can be an 8 seed is if Louisville beats UVA, we lose to Clemson, and NC State wins the last 2. In that scenario, UL is the 6, NC State is the 7, we are the 8.

Barring a Louisville win at UVA, we are locked into the 6 or 7.

Are you sure? Saw a post earlier in the week that a three way tie at 10-8 between us , State and Ville drops us to the 8...hope you are correct.

Ville loses to Uva = 10-8
Cuse loss to Clemson = 10-8
State win over Wake and at BC = 10-8

Are you sure? Saw a post earlier in the week that a three way tie at 10-8 between us , State and Ville drops us to the 8...hope you are correct.

I'm correct. If there is a 3 way tie, the first tiebreaker is head to head amongst the teams. All 3 teams would be 1-1.

After that, the next tiebreaker is best win in conference. UL beat UNC and we beat Duke.

We would be the 6 seed IF Duke beats Carolina this weekend. If Carolina wins, we get the 7. NC State's best conf win is us and they would be 8 in any scenario.

Root for UVA to beat UL and we'll be playing Wednesday night.

I'm correct. If there is a 3 way tie, the first tiebreaker is head to head amongst the teams. All 3 teams would be 1-1.

After that, the next tiebreaker is best win in conference. UL beat UNC and we beat Duke.

We would be the 6 seed IF Duke beats Carolina this weekend. If Carolina wins, we get the 7. NC State's best conf win is us and they would be 8 in any scenario.

Hope your right don't feel like taking a day off of work.

Cool, thanks for straightening that out. I hate watching at work on the tablet.

Hope your right don't feel like taking a day off of work.

From the ACC RuleBook

(3) If three or more teams are tied in the standings, the following procedures will be used:

a. The combined record of conference games between the tied teams involved will be compiled. Ties will be broken, and seedings assigned, based on the winning percentage of the combined conference records. The higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).

b. If procedure (a) fails to break the tie, then each tied team’s record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage by a higher winning percentage.

From the ACC RuleBook

(3) If three or more teams are tied in the standings, the following procedures will be used:

a. The combined record of conference games between the tied teams involved will be compiled. Ties will be broken, and seedings assigned, based on the winning percentage of the combined conference records. The higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).

b. If procedure (a) fails to break the tie, then each tied team’s record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage by a higher winning percentage.
Looking at the tiebreaker rules for the ACC tourney you only quoted (3) a & b.
This is how you break the tie with 3 teams. Then if you go down to (3) d it states “If two teams remain tied, procedures (1) and (2) will be followed.” (Part b says until “one” team gets an advantage. )

Therefore if NC State, Lville and us are all tied at 10-8 and UNC beats Duke. Lville win the tie breaker between us 3 tied at 10-8... then you drop down to “d” where it states...
“If two teams remain tied, procedures (1) and (2) will be followed.”
Then you go back up to (1) where it states... “(1) When two teams are tied in the standings, regular season head-to-head results are used as the tiebreaker.”

Therefore since NC State beat us they get the 7 and we get the 8... or at least this is how I read the tiebreakers.

Looking at the tiebreaker rules for the ACC tourney you only quoted (3) a & b.
This is how you break the tie with 3 teams. Then if you go down to (3) d it states “If two teams remain tied, procedures (1) and (2) will be followed.” (Part b says until “one” team gets an advantage. )

Therefore if NC State, Lville and us are all tied at 10-8 and UNC beats Duke. Lville win the tie breaker between us 3 tied at 10-8... then you drop down to “d” where it states...
“If two teams remain tied, procedures (1) and (2) will be followed.”
Then you go back up to (1) where it states... “(1) When two teams are tied in the standings, regular season head-to-head results are used as the tiebreaker.”

Therefore since NC State beat us they get the 7 and we get the 8... or at least this is how I read the tiebreakers.
You are correct. We would be the 8 seed, and on the bubble to go with it.

Well. Gotta beat Clemson then...or hope BC beats State...or Duke beats UNC.

Wow. Interesting thread. we need clarity pronto! Could we really drop to 8 with UVA beating Louisville?

the worse we can get is an 8, the best a 6, beat Clemson and we are a 6

bottom line SU wins Saturday they stay out of the Wednesday noon game

8 or 9 seed in the ACC tourney and win necessary to get off the bubble???

Rinse and repeat is getting old here, lol.
We are not on the bubble. How many times does this need to be repeated on this board? I understand past seasons have traumatized us, but anyone who somewhat follows college basketball this year should know we aren’t even close. Even with a loss at Clemson.

We are not on the bubble. How many times does this need to be repeated on this board? I understand past seasons have traumatized us, but anyone who somewhat follows college basketball this year should know we aren’t even close. Even with a loss at Clemson.
The "quadrant system" really changed things.
In fairness (if not accuracy) it does seem as if this season should make the Orange a bubble team.
Quite a few bad losses (either by large margins or to poor teams)...partially offset by 2 or 3 nice wins.
Traditionally not what we expect but it is what we've experienced since about 2015.

The "quadrant system" really changed things.
In fairness (if not accuracy) it does seem as if this season should make the Orange a bubble team.
Quite a few bad losses (either by large margins or to poor teams)...partially offset by 2 or 3 nice wins.
Traditionally not what we expect but it is what we've experienced since about 2015.
I would agree with you, although I’ll add that we have more road wins this year than any of our previous bubble seasons. Those count a lot more in the eyes of the committee. While we had those bad losses and 2-3 nice wins in seasons past, we also had 0 road wins of substance. That’s the difference this year.

What if we lose the next 2?

After 2007 I will never take a bid for granted.

Also, with PAC 12 being awful and Buffalo and Wofford having at large berths looking likely..there are more potential for bid thieves then your average year

Also, with PAC 12 being awful and Buffalo and Wofford having at large berths looking likely..there are more potential for bid thieves then your average year
Exactly you never know what the selection committee is thinking.

You do realize they have expanded the field since 2007, right?

Also, it's kinda funny that the only like you got, was from the board worry-wart.

What if we lose the next 2?
I would tell you to actually look at the teams that are currently on or around the bubble, and then ask yourself how any of them get in over Syracuse. Even if we lose the next 2. Look at those teams in depth - conference record, road record, bad losses, good wins. We’re in the last week of the season - none of these teams will do enough between now and Selection Sunday to leapfrog us.

If we were closer to the in/out line, I’d be a little worried. But we aren’t close, and we still won’t be IF we lose the next 2.

If we were closer to the in/out line, I’d be a little worried. But we aren’t close, and we still won’t be IF we lose the next 2.

But how do we know how close we are to the in/out line in the eyes of the human beings that are actually on the committee?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom