Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker)

I Agree its a matter of when not if, ACC is on borrowed time. Wildhack is a smart guy he knows the score and I am sure is working on contingency plans. B12 will likely get their pick off the rest of the ACC that doesn't make the SEC or B10 cut. Ther commissioner has made it a clear they want an East coast specifically NE contingent, thats SU's best bet most likely.

The money is at best even, they have no network, and they have no core. (meaning Big 12). They have no brands of interest enough to be poached, which is the best thing about them.

That rationalization is like the South seceding from the Union because of "states rights."

Bro, it's always about one thing - money.

(Not trying to shoot the messenger phil77 . This is directed at Thamel)

I Agree its a matter of when not if, ACC is on borrowed time. Wildhack is a smart guy he knows the score and I am sure is working on contingency plans. B12 will likely get their pick off the rest of the ACC that doesn't make the SEC or B10 cut. Ther commissioner has made it a clear they want an East coast specifically NE contingent, thats SU's best bet most likely.

Very curious what ND thinks about it and their next move. To me they are a bigger domino than stupid Clemson. Where ND goes I'd prefer Syracuse to be close by. If ND remains independent no matter what, maybe the Big East is in play again for SU for hoops and olympic sports and the football joins a federation of eastern schools with ND as the guaranteed game per annum.

I refuse to believe SU is joining anything with B12 in it.

Very curious what ND thinks about it and their next move. To me they are a bigger domino than stupid Clemson. Where ND goes I'd prefer Syracuse to be close by. If ND remains independent no matter what, maybe the Big East is in play again for SU for hoops and olympic sports and the football joins a federation of eastern schools with ND as the guaranteed game per annum.

ND is gonna be independent as long as the $$$ works.

As Bayside noted ND is staying Indep long after our lifetimes and the new playff ensures that for them. SU to the BE would be a death knell for whatever is left for the football program (see Uconn) and pretty much the entire athletic dept as the BE tv conference is an absolute joke.

The B12 is the only realistic spot for SU to land (barring a major surprise move by the B10) and have a chance at still competing at the D1 level.

it's over, just a question of what the surrender looks like for Syracuse/BC/Pitt and the other remnants. I wish Wildhack would take a Gavitt like approach and think down the road. We're not going to be in a big time conference. What makes us tick into the 2030s as a viable operation. IMO, it's re-regionalizing our sports. Not sure it's the most lucrative initially but it may be our path forward

I can assure JW is no idiot

He’s explored, planned and has back up on back up plans

The hiring of Fran Brown and the explosion of talent was no coincidence.

JW knew that hired needed to be a home run or they wouldn’t have a seat at the table

As Bayside noted ND is staying Indep long after our lifetimes and the new playff ensures that for them. SU to the BE would be a death knell for whatever is left for the football program (see Uconn) and pretty much the entire athletic dept as the BE tv conference is an absolute joke.

The B12 is the only realistic spot for SU to land (barring a major surprise move by the B10) and have a chance at still competing at the D1 level.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC contract gets re-done...the Big 12 comes due if I recall around 2029. That's not a stable life raft either.

I may be overly optimistic, but a NYS piece still seems like it could be valuable to a national conference (B10) or a conference seeking to gain new markets and/or block the aforementioned (SEC)

As an Iowa State grad here in Iowa...I would accept this.

I may be overly optimistic, but a NYS piece still seems like it could be valuable to a national conference (B10) or a conference seeking to gain new markets and/or block the aforementioned (SEC)

Don’t forget Rutgers has that for b10

Correct, UVA and UNC will be one of the first ones gone to the B10 once the conference eventually implodes which is a matter of when not if. Unfortunate but the writing has been on the wall for the ACC for several years now, enjoy it while we can.

Personally, I've never really enjoyed or liked being in the ACC...

The question is what comes after the next round of muisical chairs for us and will it be worse??

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC contract gets re-done...the Big 12 comes due if I recall around 2029. That's not a stable life raft either.

The problem is the ACC wont have any marquee teams, once FSU or Clemson is able to eventually get out (whether thats in 2 or 3 years or later) UVA and UNC will be following right behind as the B10 covets them the most. Even if you only lose those 4, what you have left isn't sustainable, ACC would have to take such a pay cut that the B12 will look like the SEC in comparison. ACC is in a death spiral that I don't see any realistic way out of.

My take is that Clemson‘s attorneys are just as incompetent as the FSU attorneys.

They want a contract invalidated because it turns out it wasn’t a good deal for them.

That isn’t how things work. They will both lose.

They might both lose

But is it worth the $$$$$ for the ACC to fight these in courts? It’s not like it’s free

Add in UNC and VA lawsuits and it’s easier just to negotiate and work out a deal

My take is that Clemson‘s attorneys are just as incompetent as the FSU attorneys.

They want a contract invalidated because it turns out it wasn’t a good deal for them.

That isn’t how things work. They will both lose.
I think the attorneys for FSU and Clemson know this. The filing of these lawsuits is just the first formal step in negotiating an exit agreement (i.e. settlement) which FSU and Clemson assume will allow them to get out for less than they would owe otherwise.

I think the attorneys for FSU and Clemson know this. The filing of these lawsuits is just the first formal step in negotiating an exit agreement (i.e. settlement) which FSU and Clemson assume will allow them to get out for less than they would owe otherwise.

Exactly

Which we found out with the FSU lawsuit, the ACC is in fact willing to negotiate an exit fee…whether they intentionally said you can buy your rights back or not, the cat is out of the bag

The problem is the ACC wont have any marquee teams, once FSU or Clemson is able to eventually get out (whether thats in 2 or 3 years or later) UVA and UNC will be following right behind as the B10 covets them the most. Even if you only lose those 4, what you have left isn't sustainable, ACC would have to take such a pay cut that the B12 will look like the SEC in comparison. ACC is in a death spiral that I don't see any realistic way out of.

The Big 12 doesn’t have any either. TV is going to be extremely unstable. Maybe no one cares…

Stanford/Cal/SMU must be like

Coffin Dancing GIF
Potential departures are why they were asked to join. They knew the deal.