Cliff Ensley's Glass Is Half Full | Syracusefan.com

Cliff Ensley's Glass Is Half Full

Once in awhile, it's nice just to hear another perspective when you want to punch the wall!
Anyone, including the Great Cliff Ensley, still talking about playoffs is either too eager to pitch the happy go lucky company line, or out of their gourd. Even the big whigs (and many on this board) need to tone these ridiculous fantastical whims about su making any playoffs. Jeesh, we all saw last night.

It has been said by many here, pump the damn brakes. We get to a possible 8 win season here it would be very impressive. Thats not what some want to hear, but we are what we have ben for 25 yrs. Bad to mediocre, couple rare exceptions.

Stop with the playoff nonsense already

Anyone, including the Great Cliff Ensley, still talking about playoffs is either too eager to pitch the happy go lucky company line, or out of their gourd. Even the big whigs (and many on this board) need to tone these ridiculous fantastical whims about su making any playoffs. Jeesh, we all saw last night.

It has been said by many here, pump the damn brakes. We get to a possible 8 win season here it would be very impressive. Thats not what some want to hear, but we are what we have ben for 25 yrs. Bad to mediocre, couple rare exceptions.

I am NOT saying we will make the playoffs. I have always thought that the talk of playoffs this year was a pipe dream. I am just saying after 24 hrs of doomsday posts, it's nice to hear someone who puts it into a perspective that the season is not a lost season due to one loss.

Once in awhile, it's nice just to hear another perspective when you want to punch the wall!
I would bet that no one wants to punch a wall today more than our coach and the players who took the field last night. You could tell this was personal with McCord. He knows he gave away two critical TO’s, Gadsden knows he turned 6 to 0 with a tug of the jersey, and the coaches know they blew the 3rd and Long defensive call. Believe me, no one on this board is taking it harder than they are. They know they laid an egg on national TV. Why beat up on them when they are already beating up themselves? I was crushed last night. My kids were crushed. We wanted to see a better performance on the field last night, especially after a bye week. We didn’t. But we saw a team with talent, and fight, and actually some depth. Stanford owned the lines of scrimmage, and that needs to change. I believe this loss will lead to a big win down the stretch. Lots to learn from for the coaches and players.

I’m not thinking about playoffs. Never was. I want to see top 5 in the ACC and ranked at the end of the season. And wins over BC, Tech, State, Pitt and Miami. Those programs can kick rocks. Lots of season left. Let’s get healthy and start pushing people around!

1000000679.jpg

Playoffs is possible until it isn't. Its still possible now, College football is ûnpredictable. Obviously our team didn’t look good yesterday but that doesn't mean squat if you win your future games week by week. Improvement happens, sometimes a loss is a blessing in disguise. I will believe playoffs is possible until it isn't.
I also believe an 8 win season would be a success but if the team has that set as their goal, well that would be unacceptable.
BELIEVE ÀND ACHEIVE! Playoff bound!!
I always think we are gônna win or at least have a chànce to wîn every damn game, I mean we play to win damnit.
And no matter what happens I will sleep well.
I am out of my gourd but not bc I believe my team could potentially be very good, surprise and make a playoff.

Last edited:
I want to believe that this season and every following season SU football can make the playoffs until they are eliminated. Playoffs are still a possibility though now extremely slighter chance of that happening and the top 2 spot in the ACC is even more possible. Those get taken away, win as many games as possible and we'll see how it ends.

The rest of the schedule is far from easy. After Holy Cross you are on the road at UNLV, NC State, Pittsburgh, then home to VT, at BC, at California home to UConn and Miami. UNLV is a short week and the first road game for this staff. Then factor in a time change and that game becomes sneaky tough. Stanford coach thought enough of the time change to bring his team here a day early. NC State is very tough at home. We have not won at Pittsburgh since dinosaurs roamed the earth and BC looks very tough. Cal looks tough too and you are traveling across the country again. All our remaining games will be tough and with the possible exception of UConn, we may not be favored in any of them. The supposed easy schedule this year may end up being not so easy so lets just hope this staff continues to progress and improve each week and have this team ready to play. Lets Go Orange!

The rest of the schedule is far from easy. After Holy Cross you are on the road at UNLV, NC State, Pittsburgh, then home to VT, at BC, at California home to UConn and Miami. UNLV is a short week and the first road game for this staff. Then factor in a time change and that game becomes sneaky tough. Stanford coach thought enough of the time change to bring his team here a day early. NC State is very tough at home. We have not won at Pittsburgh since dinosaurs roamed the earth and BC looks very tough. Cal looks tough too and you are traveling across the country again. All our remaining games will be tough and with the possible exception of UConn, we may not be favored in any of them. The supposed easy schedule this year may end up being not so easy so lets just hope this staff continues to progress and improve each week and have this team ready to play. Lets Go Orange!
Our schedule is easy is a myth. Why do people think its easy bc there is no Clemson or Fla St?
We have Miami instead of Clemson
We have Ga Tech instead of Fla St
We have Cal instead of Wake Forest
We have Stanford instead of say? VA or UNC
We have UNLV instead of Army
No way is that any easier plus extra traveling

Our schedule is easy is a myth. Why do people think its easy bc there is no Clemson or Fla St?
We have Miami instead of Clemson
We have Ga Tech instead of Fla St
We have Cal instead of Wake Forest
We have Stanford instead of say? VA or UNC
We have UNLV instead of Army
No way is that any easier plus extra traveling

In what world is GA Tech and FSU a push?

Going by the Sagarin 2023 vs 2024 (it is early and a lot can happen):

1. at #13 FSU vs #9 Miami
2. #23 Clemson vs at #46 Pitt
3. at #38 UNC vs at #48 UNLV
4. at #47 VA Tech vs #49 VA Tech
5. at #53 GA Tech vs at #51 Cal
6. at #74 Purdue vs #55 GA Tech
7. #81 BC vs at #56 BC
8. #84 Pitt (Yankee Stadium) vs at #69 NC State
9. #87 Wake vs #77 Stanford
10. #104 Army vs #105 UConn
11. #137 WMU vs #120 Ohio
12. Colgate (couldn't find rank but it was bad) vs #170 Holy Cross

Last year was an easy OOC schedule and IMO it was still harder overall than this year's schedule. The top 4 games last year were significantly harder. The last 8 games are slightly harder this year. It is early and a lot can change, but as of right now we have an easier schedule than last year. BTW our current SOS is ranked 81st.

I’m not saying we’re making the playoffs but the reality is we were only getting there thru the conference championship game anyway

With FSU beating Cal that knocked out another ACC team from being undefeated

A lot of these teams are going to beat up on one another

If we are a 1 loss team going into that Miami game I like our chances and if that happens that we are a 1 loss team at that point in the season we’ve had an excellent 1st season under Fran

I’m not saying we’re making the playoffs but the reality is we were only getting there thru the conference championship game anyway

If we are a 1 loss team going into that Miami game I like our chances and if that happens that we are a 1 loss team at that point in the season we’ve had an excellent 1st season under Fran

Statistically Stanford is the worst ACC team on our schedule and it was at home. The chances of SU not losing another game going into Miami is slim to none. IMO we would need to beat UNLV too if we want the ACC CG tie breaker.

Stanford is 15th in the ACC in total O. Only NC State is worse from our schedule. Stanford is 13th in the ACC in total D. Only NC State is worse on our schedule. Stanford is 77th in the Sagarin which is worst of the ACC teams on our schedule. They are a bad team. Things will only get harder going forward.

7. #81 BC vs at #56 BC

Last year was an easy OOC schedule and IMO it was still harder overall than this year's schedule. The top 4 games last year were significantly harder. The last 8 games are slightly harder this year. It is early and a lot can change, but as of right now we have an easier schedule than last year. BTW our current SOS is ranked 81st.

7. #81 BC vs at #56 BC

By those numbers Im not sure if you agree or disagree? By using those numbers last years average sagarin rank would be 67 and this years is 62.
Ànd who said it was a push anyways?
Would you rather have played Ga tech or Fla St this year as far as easier game?

I wasn’t even comparing to last year, I was comparing what our schedule wouldve been this year without the changes.

I don’t care what our SOS is, I bet that most of the teams on it have better seasons than predicted, not all but most.
Whatever, our schedule is easy is a myth.

Last edited:
If we are a 1 loss team going into that Miami game
What? You might want to make sure your morning OJ didn't get a little fermented over the weekend. We have no offensive line and a defensive coordinator who likes prevent defense against ACC WRs/QBs and SU's secondary.

I said before the season that our schedule was tough. I don't think anyone who thought it was easy pays attention to college football, though UNLV is a surprise. I thought they lost too much.

It's funny. I watched SMU and BYU. SMU looked awful. Then they go and handle TCU easily. FSU looked terrible for 3 games. Cal looked legit against Auburn. And then what happens. They might be making money now, but they're still kids and from week to week things change.

Even with Marrone. We crush the Big East champion WVU that ended up dropping 70+ on Clemson in the Orange Bowl. We're 5-2 and feeling great. We didn't win another game that season.

By those numbers Im not sure if you agree or disagree? By using those numbers last years average sagarin rank would be 67 and this years is 62.
Ànd who said it was a push anyways?
Would you rather have played Ga tech or Fla St this year as far as easier game?

I wasn’t even comparing to last year, I was comparing what our schedule wouldve been this year without the changes.

I don’t care what our SOS is, I bet that most of the teams on it have better seasons than predicted, not all but most.
Whatever, our schedule is easy is a myth.

It is an easier schedule than what we normally have. No one is claiming this is a G5 level schedule. We normally have 3 extremely difficult games that are near built in Ls. And we play those mid season where they take a toll both physically and mentally. That impacts games played after. We do not have that this year.

Looking back since we joined the ACC...

2022 45th SOS
2021 53rd
2020 49th
2019 73rd
2018 61st
2017 8th
2016 8th
2015 39th
2014 41st
2013 57th

What? You might want to make sure your morning OJ didn't get a little fermented over the weekend. We have no offensive line and a defensive coordinator who likes prevent defense against ACC WRs/QBs and SU's secondary.

I'm not sure if you saw the word "IF" in his comment, but it might help

I'm not sure if you saw the word "IF" in his comment, but it might help
"IF" I get a kiss from Michelle Pfeifer that would be dope.
"IF" I win the lottery, that would be dope.
"IF" you think Cuse is going to win out until Miami, you are on dope.
Also I said 'might'. His juice 'might' be fermented so that should give me the same amount of leeway as him saying "IF", doesn't it?

"IF" I get a kiss from Michelle Pfeifer that would be dope.
"IF" I win the lottery, that would be dope.
"IF" you think Cuse is going to win out until Miami, you are on dope.
Also I said 'might'. His juice 'might' be fermented so that should give me the same amount of leeway as him saying "IF", doesn't it?

He gave a reasonable thought process to how the ACC has unfolded thus far. You jumped at it like he was guaranteeing something.

You can be as negative or as snarky as you'd like. Others might have optimism. Forgive us.

He gave a reasonable thought process to how the ACC has unfolded thus far
I mean I posted a joke. Then I posted another one. It's pretty unreasonable to think we will win out until Miami. This wasn't about his analysis of the topsy-turvy ACC, this was about our performance so far this year and what we've seen. We survived GT and lost at home to Stanford. Our issues appear very real. Go ahead and be the eternal optimist. I find being a realist(not a pessimist) keeps me grounded after tough losses and also big wins.

I mean I posted a joke. Then I posted another one. It's pretty unreasonable to think we will win out until Miami. This wasn't about his analysis of the topsy-turvy ACC, this was about our performance so far this year and what we've seen. We survived GT and lost at home to Stanford. Our issues appear very real. Go ahead and be the eternal optimist. I find being a realist(not a pessimist) keeps me grounded after tough losses and also big wins.

Apologies that I missed the joke. The board has been mostly in total meltdown mode so hard to tell what's serious and what's not.

After GT we had a line, Friday night we didn't. We'll see what happens

He has a right to his opinion just as you have.

I'm not sure the ACC #2 makes the playoff this year.

The only scenario where I think that happens is if Clemson and Miami go undefeated in conference play, and Clemson wins the title game leaving two 12-1 ACC teams. Louisville has Clemson, Miami, and ND remaining...they won't win all 3. A 2 loss ACC team isn't making the playoff. The 7 at large bids will be clogged with SEC and B1G leftovers.

I'm not sure the ACC #2 makes the playoff this year.

The only scenario where I think that happens is if Clemson and Miami go undefeated in conference play, and Clemson wins the title game leaving two 12-1 ACC teams. Louisville has Clemson, Miami, and ND remaining...they won't win all 3. A 2 loss ACC team isn't making the playoff. The 7 at large bids will be clogged with SEC and B1G leftovers.

The only ACC team getting into playoffs this year is the conference champion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom