Coach Dino Babers seems to pitch SU's academic... | Syracusefan.com

Coach Dino Babers seems to pitch SU's academic...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
Standing often in his efforts to sell/lure recruits to SU. SU as fine an institution as it is, it ranks behind Duke #9; UVA #25; Wake #27; UNC #30; BC #32; GT #34. I think many here consider these schools to be peer type schools, at least as it relates to 'on the field.' SU also currently ranks behind Miami (#46), if one argues this is a peer school as well.

Clemson, Pitt, VT, FSU & NCST rank behind SU at 67, 68, 69, 81 & 81 respectively. UL is well out of the top 100 at #165.

Unless you're a recruit considering UL, it's unlikely that a recruit is going to be swayed by SU's academic standing considering the better academic rankings of several, and the close comparative nature of the others.

Standing often in his efforts to sell/lure recruits to SU. SU as fine an institution as it is, it ranks behind Duke #9; UVA #25; Wake #27; UNC #30; BC #32; GT #34. I think many here consider these schools to be peer type schools, at least as it relates to 'on the field.' SU also currently ranks behind Miami (#46), if one argues this is a peer school as well.

Clemson, Pitt, VT, FSU & NCST rank behind SU at 67, 68, 69, 81 & 81 respectively. UL is well out of the top 100 at #165.

Unless you're a recruit considering UL, it's unlikely that a recruit is going to be swayed by SU's academic standing considering the better academic rankings of several, and the close comparative nature of the others.
before nancy cantor, we were #39

Anyone else get an odd vibe from his comments on Lewis and his departure?

For those of us with hearing issues could you summarize what he said about Coach Lewis?

Not really imo. He congratulated him and the only thing he refuted was Bailey was trying to push that he would be missed and have a hard time replacing him. Babers simply said he was one piece of a three headed prong.

Just because the school values academics doesnt mean the coach/program does.

I'm glad we're back to trying to be a selective academic institution. Nancy Canter completely destroyed the selective basis of SU and the rankings showed. Good for Dino to lean on it. For 250k or so, he should explain the scholarship he is handing out and how valuable it can be.

Merry Xmas everyone on here. I'm taking a leave from the interwebs over the holiday season but truly enjoy the banter back and forth here. No one should agree with everyone 100% of the time, but everyone should be respectful 100% of the time. I feel like the board has never been better in that regard. GO SU!

The first time I hear, "well, I was considering Syracuse, but they seem to be all about the academics, and I look at the rankings, Wake Forest is ranked higher, so I've decided to go to Wake Forest", then I'll have officially seen it all. (maybe).

I think the Syracuse name has more cache than the ranking bears out. And this might not be the case in the South, but in most of the rest of the country I think "Syracuse" has more appeal than "Wake Forest" or a few of those other peer schools. People think it's more prestigious than it really is. (Which kind of makes it prestigious.)

Pitching academics is for the parents

Are you implying that us parents aren't capable enough still to navigate around the internet effectively and find this easily ascertainable information and assisting/advising our children accordingly? ;):)

I was talking about when she got here.

I understand. I guess the point I was attempting to make is that Chancellor Syverud has been in his post since '14, after Cantor left. It appears SU is still heading south vs. north in that regard, albeit not at the pace it had been dropping.

What did you want him to say? Sean Lewis really didnt do much here and his departure wont be missed or felt? He has to toe the line of congratulating a friend but not offer so much praise to give the appearance that the departure will hurt SU. I thought he did a fine job.

Syracuse football was here long before Sean Lewis, it will be here after as well. No disrespect to Coach Lewis, but this saying applies to many large corporations.

I think the Syracuse name has more cache than the ranking bears out. And this might not be the case in the South, but in most of the rest of the country I think "Syracuse" has more appeal than "Wake Forest" or a few of those other peer schools. People think it's more prestigious than it really is. (Which kind of makes it prestigious.)

Agreed. Perception is reality. You can throw all of the other stats out the window.

Well, in the Northeast it is. Outside of the Ivy's, Syracuse is one of the top schools in the region.

Having co-offensive coordinators when your coach is an offensive guy doesn't make much sense to me, honestly.

I think the resources would be better served elsewhere. Think Lewis probably did a nice job connecting with kids and doing the initial recruiting pitch.

At the end of the day, though, Babers can more than make up for that and then some with the right hires.

I took his weird answers more as a response to the questions being asked by the reporter. If I were him and I heard those questions, I would have bounced right back and said something to the effect of "Do you know who I am? I'm Dino Babers and I am the head football coach. I make all of the final decisions."

The thing about a Syracuse education is that some schools are truly elite, there is a strong alumni network in the business community and they dominate the sports media. Yes, there are some lesser schools that bring the overall ranking down, but there are some excellent programs, too.

The thing about a Syracuse education is that some schools are truly elite, there is a strong alumni network in the business community and they dominate the sports media. Yes, there are some lesser schools that bring the overall ranking down, but there are some excellent programs, too.
#1 communications school
#1 forestry/green
#23 business

Any kid with a head on his shoulders will realize his NFL dream is only 2% likely. If any one of those is his major, than yeah. It makes a difference.

#1 communications school
#1 forestry/green
#23 business

Any kid with a head on his shoulders will realize his NFL dream is only 2% likely. If any one of those is his major, than yeah. It makes a difference.

Maxwell is supposed to be pretty good also, right?
And the new Sports Management programs (do they fall under Newhouse) are quite solid too.

And the new Sports Management programs (do they fall under Newhouse) are quite solid too.

They're in Falk. Maxwell and the architecture and engineering schools are excellent. (Sadly, there's no way a football coach in 2017 would have a kid in the latter two. If I recall correctly, one of Marrone's recruits found that out the hard way.)

#1 graduate school for public affairs. Undergrad programs are highly regarded as well.