Coach Dino Babers seems to pitch SU's academic... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Dino Babers seems to pitch SU's academic...

#1 communications school
#1 forestry/green
#23 business

Any kid with a head on his shoulders will realize his NFL dream is only 2% likely. If any one of those is his major, than yeah. It makes a difference.
Don't forget #3 in Architecture - not that a player could be in that program, I just wanted to point that out!

Well, in the Northeast it is. Outside of the Ivy's, Syracuse is one of the top schools in the region.
There are a number of better schools in the region. Heck, in NY alone, I think of Binghamton, Geneseo, Stony Brook and Fordham as better than SU.

Don't forget #3 in Architecture - not that a player could be in that program, I just wanted to point that out!

I have two architecture majors on my team and the time constraints are very difficult to work with. It opens doors for specific athletes to recruit but takes a lot of patience and commitment to work around.

There are a number of better schools in the region. Heck, in NY alone, I think of Binghamton, Geneseo, Stony Brook and Fordham as better than SU.
I think if you are looking at specific programs, those schools may have a program better than at SU. Stony Brook has good med, and med research. Fordham has good law. On the whole though? I'm not too sure that is true and I think this is where perception becomes reality.

I have two architecture majors on my team and the time constraints are very difficult to work with. It opens doors for specific athletes to recruit but takes a lot of patience and commitment to work around.

SU Arch doesn't allow you to play varsity sports if you are in the program (at least they didn't when I was there). Could only imagine someone on a major sport team trying to balance both, and understanding from the coach I can only imagine.

SU Arch doesn't allow you to play varsity sports if you are in the program (at least they didn't when I was there). Could only imagine someone on a major sport team trying to balance both, and understanding from the coach I can only imagine.
I was told by the deans (architecture and soccer coach) that they STRONGLY recommended against it. That said, I had a sit down with a football recruit who was entertaining it, and had a classmate who ran cross country for SU. In fact one of the Architecture professors ran XC when he went to SU. A well known architecture alum, Bruce Fowle, played lacrosse at SU (or so he told me, I never bothered to fact check him).

Standing often in his efforts to sell/lure recruits to SU. SU as fine an institution as it is, it ranks behind Duke #9; UVA #25; Wake #27; UNC #30; BC #32; GT #34. I think many here consider these schools to be peer type schools, at least as it relates to 'on the field.' SU also currently ranks behind Miami (#46), if one argues this is a peer school as well.

Clemson, Pitt, VT, FSU & NCST rank behind SU at 67, 68, 69, 81 & 81 respectively. UL is well out of the top 100 at #165.

Unless you're a recruit considering UL, it's unlikely that a recruit is going to be swayed by SU's academic standing considering the better academic rankings of several, and the close comparative nature of the others.

Im surprised Louisville is ranked that high, I though they would be comparable to OCC....that school is and will always be at the bottom rung of anything academically.....they owe the world to the corrupt/cheater Tom Jurich from saving them from the depths of Conference USA......

Last edited:
Im surprised Louisville is ranked that high, I though they would be comparable to OCC...that school is and will also be at the bottom rung of anything academically...they owe the world to the corrupt/cheater Tom Jurich from saving them from the depths of Conference USA...

No, they should send royalty checks to Maryland. ;):)

Forestry is not an SU school.
If SUNY Forestry at SU works like SUNY Ag and SUNY Labor Relations at Cornell, when you graduate from there, your diploma says SU not SUNY. I would imagine SUNY Ceramics at Alfred works the same way.

Im surprised Louisville is ranked that high, I though they would be comparable to OCC...that school is and will always be at the bottom rung of anything academically...they owe the world to the corrupt/cheater Tom Jurich from saving them from the depths of Conference USA...
IDK about that part. They're supposed to be trying to improve their academics, using the "We've got to catch up to the rest of the ACC" argument to get more money from alums and the state.

I think the Syracuse name has more cache than the ranking bears out. And this might not be the case in the South, but in most of the rest of the country I think "Syracuse" has more appeal than "Wake Forest" or a few of those other peer schools. People think it's more prestigious than it really is. (Which kind of makes it prestigious.)
wake forest is prestigious