Coach K Adjustments | Syracusefan.com

Coach K Adjustments

cuseinseattle

All American
One of the things I thought was kind of crazy was the fact K seemed to make no adjustments. They were having a lot of trouble with the screen and roll and kept switching. I'm surprised they didn't jump Tyus when he had the ball or have people fight below screens and make Tyus hit shots over the top. That isn't his strength. Instead they switched gave up penetration which lead to Tyus scoring or getting open looks for other people. They also didn't go to a zone for a good stretch which was surprising.

One of my Duke friends said K is a terrible in game coach.

One of the things I thought was kind of crazy was the fact K seemed to make no adjustments. They were having a lot of trouble with the screen and roll and kept switching. I'm surprised they didn't jump Tyus when he had the ball or have people fight below screens and make Tyus hit shots over the top. That isn't his strength. Instead they switched gave up penetration which lead to Tyus scoring or getting open looks for other people. They also didn't go to a zone for a good stretch which was surprising.
he completely took eli out of the game 2nd half

While I respect Coach K in many ways, I think there is a solid argument that his teams underachieve based on the recruits he gets year in and year out. If we had Williamson I am pretty confident we would be undefeated. Boeheim absolutely befuddles me sometimes with never going man to man and only playing 6 to 7 players but, as a game and strategy coach, I put him over Coach K.

HA, that's funny. Other than Wooden probably the best college coach ever- CAN'T COACH! Too funny

Can't make this stuff up
Larry is a 40-year Duke fan and has seen many a game with Coach K. He thinks K’s recruiting is fantastic, his connection with players great, and that he deserves all the accolades he gets. But he feels he is not the greatest in-game coach, making adjustments, etc. and that last night’s game was an example of that. He didn’t say he can’t coach.

HA, that's funny. Other than Wooden probably the best college coach ever- CAN'T COACH! Too funny

Can't make this stuff up
I think the person is saying he doesn't make good in game adjustments. That is not the same as saying he can't coach. Not everyone is amazing at everything. I agree K isn't great at that.

rat face wrote the book on adjustments

mycheese.gif

this is just bizarre; he absolutely made adjustments

first half, tyus & eli kept syracuse in the game, going a combined 12/20 from the field, 5/7 from three and 9/9 from the line for a total of 38 points

second half, they scored a combined 10 pts on 5/18 from the field, 0/5 from three and didn't attempt a single free throw. eli in particular was hounded by duke's 2nd half defense.

k took them out of the game and challenged syracuse to find someone else to beat him.

luckily for us, frankie, paschal and oshae rose to the challenge.

Sorta what i said in the first half of the game thread—that it was like K was coaching his team out of a win. But, i didn't have your insight into why/how. Missing Jones was one thing, but i was surprised their opening, devastating defense depended so much on him. I though K would have compensated somehow, but maybe he only coached against 'coaching,' and you can't really coach against one player just going mental like Battle did. Like Bennett vs Malachi.

K's great at selling himself and his program, and getting kids. He's great at getting them all to know how to play and execute. I don't watch enough Duke games to know what he does in-game. I don't watch any duke games, unless we're in them...

Sorta what i said in the first half of the game thread—that it was like K was coaching his team out of a win. But, i didn't have your insight into why/how. Missing Jones was one thing, but i was surprised their opening, devastating defense depended so much on him. I though K would have compensated somehow, but maybe he only coached against 'coaching,' and you can't really coach against one player just going mental like Battle did. Like Bennett vs Malachi.

K's great at selling himself and his program, and getting kids. He's great at getting them all to know how to play and execute. I don't watch enough Duke games to know what he does in-game. I don't watch any duke games, unless we're in them...
Just my opinion but I think K is a good recruiter, good at leading a team and good at end game situations. He is also pretty good at coming up with a plan before the game, although I think Boeheim is better. Boeheim is also better than K at making in game adjustments and realizing which kids have it that night and who is struggling. I saw a USA basketball story once that K said during games he would have Boeheim watch the game and tell him who is struggling and suggest substitutions that should be made. He said Boeheim would see that stuff quicker than him.

K said postgame the game plan was over 5 min in. People give too much creedence to coaches being able to control the game

K said postgame the game plan was over 5 min in. People give too much creedence to coaches being able to control the game

I think that's weak on his behalf. No doubt it impacted the game, but not only is K a seasoned coach, he's lofted as the best of the best. Even a relatively inexperienced coach could've seen after Jones went down, that the Duke replacements couldn't defend our guards off the dribble, which completely catapulted our dormant offense. K implemented JB's zone a few years back, and it was quite surprising that he didn't go to it at all, not even when he had time to make some half time adjustments. I mentioned that in a earlier/different thread...

Can't make this stuff up

It's funny, how do you define "Best College Coach" ever. Clearly based on results he is there, but the playing field is never even. He is clearly the best program builder ever, clearly one of the top recruiters ever...but given the talent that he has every year does he achieve results that would be befitting of the "best coach ever" mantle.

He starts this season with the top 3 class of 2018 recruits, including the top 2 talents in the next NBA draft. When he loses one of those 3 he can turn to a prior year 5 star Marquis Bolden on his bench. When Trey Jones goes down he can turn and insert a 4 star and #33 player in the class of 2017 Alex O'Connell as a replacement.

What would JB, Buzz, Mike Brey, Bennett or Chris Mack do if they consistently had the talent that K has had? Would the results be much different?

I think K is has built a fantastic program at Duke. Is he the best "coach"? Depends on your definition. Calipari is the same deal, only a bit more obvious as his results haven't compared to K's.

He said Boeheim would see that stuff quicker than him.
JAB certainly has an innate feel for the game (and game statistics without running the math in his head). I'd say that is his biggest strength as a coach.

I saw a USA basketball story once that K said during games he would have Boeheim watch the game and tell him who is struggling and suggest substitutions that should be made. He said Boeheim would see that stuff quicker than him.

Boeheim consistently answered, Why would you want to substitute, these athletes don't get tired and they get enough of a break during all the natural stoppages.....win or lose with your best players on the floor.

Boeheim consistently answered, Why would you want to substitute, these athletes don't get tired and they get enough of a break during all the natural stoppages...win or lose with your best players on the floor.

Kind of depends on how big the drop off is in competence between the five on the floor and the next man off the bench, don't you think? Especially at the end of a game. Especially if you have "an innate" perception of just how tired each player is on the court.

Of course he said that last year with that team and didn't say it was a general rule he followed regardless.

Although you seem to be unfairly suggesting that he did. Context and situation are important.

Last year some of the press seemed fixated on how tired the team might be looking for re-inforcement of a narrative they wanted to pursue.. He was responding to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom