"Coach Marrone is a great coach, he's a very great coach" | Syracusefan.com

"Coach Marrone is a great coach, he's a very great coach"

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
20120727_mje_sx4_549.jpg

Words that came out of Chandler Jones mouth during an interview at Pat's training camp this week. He went on, " And I suggest that every single high school athlete go to Syracuse. He helped you off the field and on the field and that's one thing that I really love about coach Marrone."

Quite an endorsemnet from the 21st player picked in the NFL draft.

Hey recruits, get on board!

What more does HCDM have to do before you realize that your dreams of playing in the NFL can come true if you come to play for the man!!

Here's one more quote for you to digest:

"You know what? I had a dream. And my dream was to always play in the NFL. And now that I have this opportunity I [plan on] taking advantage of it."

That's a fantastic endorsement. I love what Doug is doing for the program. There aren't a lot of men who would have taken on this sinking ship. Doug wasn't afraid and although we aren't a top 20 team yet, we have definitely turned the corner and are headed in the right direction. Now it's up to us to support this team. If you do nothing else, at least talk SU football to your friends, coworkers, neightbors, etc. Drum up some interest. Tell them the exciting things that are going on. Remind them how cheap season tickets are. I'm always amazed at how many people I talk to have no idea what is going on with the program. And these are sports fans, not just John Q Public. Once they hear about the recruiting, the cheap tickets, dome improvements, they all talk about getting season tickets and getting out to some games. I'm preaching to the choir but do what you can.

That's a fantastic endorsement. I love what Doug is doing for the program. There aren't a lot of men who would have taken on this sinking ship. Doug wasn't afraid and although we aren't a top 20 team yet, we have definitely turned the corner and are headed in the right direction. Now it's up to us to support this team. If you do nothing else, at least talk SU football to your friends, coworkers, neightbors, etc. Drum up some interest. Tell them the exciting things that are going on. Remind them how cheap season tickets are. I'm always amazed at how many people I talk to have no idea what is going on with the program. And these are sports fans, not just John Q Public. Once they hear about the recruiting, the cheap tickets, dome improvements, they all talk about getting season tickets and getting out to some games. I'm preaching to the choir but do what you can.

A lot if men were willing to take on the job. Negotiations didn't work out for a couple and others were lined up that we didn't go after.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A lot if men were willing to take on the job. Negotiations didn't work out for a couple and others were lined up that we didn't go after.

Were any "big" names?

Were any "big" names?

Define big.

Edsall, Holtz and Golden to name a few. All bigger than Marrone at the time.

Define big.

Edsall, Holtz and Golden to name a few. All bigger than Marrone at the time.

Things work out for a reason, if we hired any one of those guys i wouldnt have been surprised if they were gone in 3 years.

Things work out for a reason, if we hired any one of those guys i wouldnt have been surprised if they were gone in 3 years.

They may have been.

Yeah, but if they were gone in 3 years, we probably wouldn't have been 5-7 in that 3rd year. Not usually what earns you promotions. So maybe we'd be (and the replacement coach would be) in a better place already?

Edsall and Golden aren't looking too good these days, and I was a Golden proponent back when we were looking.

Golden walked into a shitstorm though.

Agree, and while some certainly knew about what went on, most were caught completely by surprise. He still hasn't had a losing record there. If he sticks it out, Miami should rise again.

Edsall and Golden aren't looking too good these days, and I was a Golden proponent back when we were looking.

So was I, primarily for recruiting purposes. Very happy that things "fell through" with both Holtz and Edsall.

Ultimately, I believe we got the right guy. Sometimes the right decisions are the ones you don't make.

I agree with you there BK, i think Holtz has underachieved at USF as well.

So was I, primarily for recruiting purposes. Very happy that things "fell through" with both Holtz and Edsall.

Ultimately, I believe we got the right guy. Sometimes the right decisions are the ones you don't make.
What I heard was Edsall's contract was done ($17m/8 yrs.). His wife put the brakes on. Bill Hurley was the go between.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

What I heard was Edsall's contract was done ($17m/8 yrs.). His wife put the brakes on. Bill Hurley was the go between.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I heard something pretty similar--not sure about the $$$--but that the deal was essentially done with a handshake agreement in place. Then, uconn came into the Dome that following week [awkward!], and they trounced us so badly that Edsall got cold feet about the magnitude of what a reclamation project he'd be walking into.

Either way, worked out for the best for SU, IMO.

Thank you God we didn't get Edsall. For an SU grad, I vehemently dislike that man. I am also a big Doug Marrone fan and I also think coaches deserve a while to build up the program unless they perform like Greg Robinson, another person whom I despise like hopefully all of you. I would have been alright with Golden but I am very content with Marrone despite some of his shortcomings. He has kept me excited for Syracuse football. I understand not everybody is as fond of Marrone as I and people on here flip-flop on him constantly on this board and others, but I have been a fan and will remain a fan until he has shown me that he can no longer handle the job or consistently reaches a plateau.

Yeah, but if they were gone in 3 years, we probably wouldn't have been 5-7 in that 3rd year. Not usually what earns you promotions. So maybe we'd be (and the replacement coach would be) in a better place already?

More likely they'd be gone in 3 years and we would be buying out the 4th year to replace them vs then them moving on due to immediate success. The issues at SU (which are being addressed) were bigger than just the head coach.

That's not true, look at Todd Graham.

Sometimes the right decisions are the ones you don't make.

Isn't that the truth. I was pushing hard for Turner Gill...

What a mistake that would've been.

Turner Gill would have been disaster worse than Greg Robinson (I think that circumstances doomed him) could have even even imagined. Does he even have a job anywhere now?

Isn't that the truth. I was pushing hard for Turner Gill...

What a mistake that would've been.

The guys interested were plenty. Hindsight is always 20/20 but the board was pretty split between wanting Edsall, Holtz, Golden, Gill and Locksley. Gill and Locksley had a lot of support. They both would have been disasters. Marrone didn't have much support except for GO and I'm sure a couple others. Personally, I wanted Edsall.

Well, since we're dealing with hypotheticals, had SU gone 8 - 5 in year two under Golden, Edsall or Holtz, any one of those three might have been gone right then.

The guys interested were plenty. Hindsight is always 20/20 but the board was pretty split between wanting Edsall, Holtz, Golden, Gill and Locksley. Gill and Locksley had a lot of support. They both would have been disasters. Marrone didn't have much support except for GO and I'm sure a couple others. Personally, I wanted Edsall.

Thank goodness we did not hire Edsall, the assclown.

Imagine the tutu dance in the Dome, and the classless way he handles his employment decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom