CoachDMustStay.com... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

CoachDMustStay.com...

And what will your complaint be if that isn't our record? After all.. Bill Parcels.

If we can take the best team in the conference to overtime, and run the ball down the throat of not just them, but also a team like Florida State that is chock full of 4 and 5 star recruits on their defensive line, we're sure as hell going to be able to do it against peer programs that don't have those kind of defensive studs, nor offenses like wake forest to quick strike counter our ability to move the sticks and score points.

Honestly, did you even watch the last two games? Despite the frustrating outcomes, this team is trending in the right f****** direction, in a major way.
I agree with your overall point but you are way hyping up our last two opponents. Wake starts off well every year and then hits the meat of their schedule. Their D is not good. That all being said I do think they will end up being the 3rd best team in the ACC this year. FSU has not been good this year. Sagarin has them currently ranked 77th. Their D is 91st in ypg, 87th in rypg, and 98th in ppg this year. I can't see them having more than 5 Ws tops this year.

But like you said we are looking better. We are far from 2019 or 2020 bad. That is a step in the right direction. The problem is in year 6 we shouldn't still be 2016 and 2017 bad.

I agree with your overall point but you are way hyping up our last two opponents. Wake starts off well every year and then hits the meat of their schedule. Their D is not good. That all being said I do think they will end up being the 3rd best team in the ACC this year. FSU has not been good this year. Sagarin has them currently ranked 77th. Their D is 91st in ypg, 87th in rypg, and 98th in ppg this year. I can't see them having more than 5 Ws tops this year.

But like you said we are looking better. We are far from 2019 or 2020 bad. That is a step in the right direction. The problem is in year 6 we shouldn't still be 2016 and 2017 bad.

But FSU has a roster loaded with DL talent, unlike most teams. They were better suited to lining up and stop the run... but still couldn't. I expect that most teams we have coming up won't be able to, either. And most of them also won't have the benefit of WF's high scoring, potent offense to bail them out when we post 350+ rushing yards on them.

Otherwise, I agree with your larger point. It is amazing how Shrader has raised both the floor and ceiling of this team's potential.

In the last 3 years we’ve beat

Holy Cross
Albany
WMU
Ohio
Liberty x 2
Wake x 2
Duke

Not exactly a murderers row
That is like a punch to the throat, or a kick to another part of the anatomy.

Who cares about the level of wins. Shafer was 7-17 in the ACC. Dino is 13-31, pretty identical if you ask me.
So #2 Clemson is the same as a 1 conference win Wake Forest? That’s your big point?

So #2 Clemson is the same as a 1 conference win Wake Forest? That’s your big point?
At the end of the day? Kinda is. They are both 1 win towards getting a bowl idk about you but personally I’ll take 6-6 with a win over an unranked wake forest versus 5-7 with a win over clemson

At the end of the day? Kinda is. They are both 1 win towards getting a bowl idk about you but personally I’ll take 6-6 with a win over an unranked wake forest versus 5-7 with a win over clemson
I guess I have a different take on bowls. They are fun scrimmages that kind of help with recruiting over time. The extra game is nice. Players kind of like them.

But more wins is better than less. But if we’re picking out wins, give me the champs.

Beating WVU in 18 was nice, but I’d rather lose our bowl game and pick off the eventual champs for the second time in a row.

And the year before?
Yes we know we had a winning season 4 years ago and hopefully we’ll have another this year. But how many years does Dino get a pass on losing seasons because he won 10 games once. Coach P won 10 games 3 times.

Dino hasn’t beaten anyone of significance since Dungey was on the team

Yes we know we had a winning season 4 years ago and hopefully we’ll have another this year. But how many years does Dino get a pass on losing seasons because he won 10 games once. Coach P won 10 games 3 times.

Stay tuned

I’m not giving him a pass. Just thought it was weird that the list started directly after that year.

I agree it’s been a less than the standard in the last two years. I think this year might be different.

Okay, okay, I'm as frustrated as anyone about Dino and his in-game coaching woes. He has always had them, and they really haven't gotten a ton better. But I want everyone to try and look at this in a different way.

As the esteemed SWC75 has discussed numerous times here, Virginia Tech basically gave Frank Beamer an ultimatum - change your coordinators or we'll change the head coach. He did, Bud Foster came in, and the rest is history.

I actually think Dino has done what he needs to do on the assistant coach front.

1) Tony White seems like a solid DC and he firmly believes in getting a lot of guys playing time. That helps with depth and with growth. A very solid hire.
2) Swag Daddy is a dude this team can't afford to lose. Top-notch recruiter and has done a FANTASTIC job at coaching up the safeties and nickels. He has been here right along with Dino, and they need to do everything they can to keep him in the fold.
3) Chip West is a long-time top recruiter in the Delmarva area and has done well in recruiting and coaching up the corners.
4) Sterlin Gilbert is an OC that wants to run the ball. It's also what Dino wants to do. Unfortunately, the Offensive Line has always been too thin, or not up to ACC standards. This year he has a scheme, a QB, an RB, AND an OL that makes this approach work. Defenses look nervous and confused out there. They have to pick their poison.
5) Mike Schmidt is the solution to Sterlin's OL issue. The dude is a top-notch OL coach. He has coached up the young guys and also has done a great job getting the vets to play with more aggression out there. This OL is a huge reason why Tucker and Shrader are running so well. I've been watching replays of each game, and man they are road graders.
---

The assistants are in place to coach up players. That's exactly what SU needs. This will never be a destination for fully formed top-level D1 athletes. They need to be made into those through coaching and S&C. I'm encouraged by how this coaching staff is handling all the young players and is helping them develop. It bodes well for the future.

Dino is a great leader of men, off the field, in the locker room, and with his morals and beliefs about how a program should be run. I believe his values match what SU wants in a head coach. He is also beloved by the ACC press corps. I'm friends with quite a few of them, and they all love Dino. Great guy, a fun storyteller, a nice dude who takes the time to talk to these reporters. He's a great ambassador for SU and SU football.

His one glaring weakness isn't his inability to change. He's been willing to fire people on his staff and look for upgrades where he needs them. He almost always holds onto his recruiting classes because he creates a family atmosphere and is a trustworthy guy.

His one weakness is his cluelessness in in-game decision-making. He has actually impeded this team's progress by making (or not making) some decisions during the game. For whatever reason, he seems flustered and nervous about the type of decisions he makes in-game. It's obvious he's self-conscious about it given his presser on Monday. No dude with confidence in those abilities would say they did nothing wrong in-game. Someone with confidence is willing to say "Yep I made a mistake there but won't next time." He doth protest too much.

He needs someone to take over those decisions or needs to be hearing just one voice in his ear about what to do with things that run the gamut from calling timeouts, to taking or not taking penalties, to clock management, etc... Big picture game plans have been fine this year (with the possible exception of Rutgers). It's the in-game calls that are questionable.

Wildhack needs to get someone in here who can help focus Dino in making the right calls, and more than anything having a consistent attitude about how to handle game situations. What I mean by this is he needs someone to help him be more consistent in his decision-making process because currently, it seems as if a lot of his decisions are "fly by the seat of your pants" and not something that is a part of what they believe the culture of the team is. Are you going to be a riverboat gambler or a conservative coach who plays it close to the vest? What are the strengths of your team and the weaknesses and are you constantly going to take advantage of those strengths and weaknesses throughout the game and not just willy-nilly when the feeling hits?

I'm not sure who that person is or what their designation is, but he needs a Czar of In-Game Decision Making in the worst way. Let Dino have the final say, but make the czar be the one voice in his ear who pays attention to all of the above so Dino can make the most well-informed and analytical decision that the situation requires. Do that and I think this program starts cooking with grease.
al bagnoli great coach at upenn for years currently at columbia. played exciting football

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom