Coaching changes... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching changes...

Maybe that is part of the problem.
Well put

I don't think there's one program in the country that spends more than 30 minutes on special teams per practice. You have two hours to practice, and you need to get in positional periods and team periods. There is no time for specials.

I can't believe people think special teams are a bigger problem than the offense last year.

Seriously? Hate it as we might, VaTech is a VERY good football program. Syracuse, however, is not.
But when Beamer started, Va Tech was about where we are now.

Ilove the CEO nonsense.. What is that? Marrone is the HC, its his arse he can coach whatever the he wants, obvioulsy he sees it has important because he just put himself in charge of it. How do you know it won't improve.. Wait for results then bitch, if he sucks I will be right there, but at least give it a chance. I don't think the offense will suffer without Doug as the OC

Yeah because Dougie's work with the offense and the O line has paid huge dividends so far.

I've seen the results so far. The team is stuck in neutral...AT BEST...after year three. Yes, DM's neck is on the line before anyone else's. And if he's smart, he realizes to do this right, he needs to hire a staff he trusts and can do the job. He shouldn't think he can solve all the teams biggest problems by himself.

But when Beamer started, Va Tech was about where we are now.

Great story. Too bad we live in a "what have you done for me lately" culture.

Try selling the comparison to University X, who also had to rebuild, to the fan base we're already losing. Advice: Don't lead with that message the week of the USC game in the fall.

Great story. Too bad we live in a "what have you done for me lately" culture.

Try selling the comparison to University X, who also had to rebuild, to the fan base we're already losing. Advice: Don't lead with that message the week of the USC game in the fall.
This was a conversation about special teams, what are you talking about now? Way to twist around the conversation because you're in a corner.

On the Axe Man Show Marrone says he's Special Teams Coach,To me that 's disturbing. I was the #1 Gung Ho Guy from day one for HCDM but with the loss of Conley and Brumbach and him as Special Teams Coach:oops: He's losing me. BE HEAD COACH NOT O.C.,NOT ST'S , BE HEAD COACH :oops:
Agree. ST was a serious problem last year. We coached by committee, which I doubted would work from the beginning. Now the HC is coaching ST. I'm not comfortable with this, it appears stop-gap. The HC should be HC, and every position should be handled by competent personnel. Games and seasons are won or lost on stop-gap measures.

Corner? What?

You can't say just because Beamer coaches ST and does a good job that Marrone, who hasn't proven himself to be much of anything as a head coach, will have the same success.

And, yes, I'm building on the ST theme in this thread to explain that Doug doesn't have the luxury of having another shitty year this fall. He'd be better served having someone else focus on specials since much of the head coaching duties seem to be a bit much for him so far.

He'd be better served having someone else focus on specials since much of the head coaching duties seem to be a bit much for him so far.

Based on what? A rumor that he lost the team? Or the fact we didn't have the playmakers on offense/size on defense to win games?

Hasn't proven himself to be much of anything, because anybody can take a team that has won 10 games out of it's last 46 to a bowl game his second year.

Freaking brilliant

Based on what? A rumor that he lost the team? Or the fact we didn't have the playmakers on offense/size on defense to win games?

Based on wins and losses, esp in comparison to the schedule SU played. Not to mention that we had virtually no chance to win any of our last three or four games?

Hasn't proven himself to be much of anything, because anybody can take a team that has won 10 games out of it's last 46 to a bowl game his second year.

Freaking brilliant

I'd venture to say "almost anybody" could have found a way to beat RU and UCONN this year. Yeah...those games we freaking brilliant.

I don't think there's one program in the country that spends more than 30 minutes on special teams per practice. You have two hours to practice, and you need to get in positional periods and team periods. There is no time for specials.

I can't believe people think special teams are a bigger problem than the offense last year.

I actually don't know how practice runs so I'll absolutely defer. I also have no problem with Marrone taking over specials if he sees it as appropriate. I'm also not going to pretend to know how much time should be spent on specials. I'm also not saying it's as big an issue as offense.

Buuuuuuuuutttt, with as awful -- no putrid -- aswe've been on specials for two years, it's hard to think anything other than "maybe we need an ST guru ... or at least we need to spend a bit more time on this." That could be misguided but I don't think it's unfair if a portion of the fan base sees the need for one or both of these measures.

do we not have the money to hire a st guy?
again i ask-if he didnt have the time last year to be st coach,were does he find time this year?

if he did have the time last year What did he have st by committee ?

can he do what crazy bob who was a st coach couldnt?
I doubt it, especially since Conley and Brumbaugh are still on salary.

Dont make me call you Borny Bnoro. You know that he lost the team last year. Maybe losing the team is a little strong but tell me that there wasnt a major rift on the team.

Dont make me call you Borny Bnoro. You know that he lost the team last year. Maybe losing the team is a little strong but tell me that there wasnt a major rift on the team.

I think I may start calling him borny too, just for effect.

was no rumor-
marrone even talked about "crab buckets" destroying the locker-room

nassib even mentioned it

to say otherwise is just plain asinine

I just wanna know who are new coach is.

Agreed - best post in this thread.

Who cares who lost the team...I am only concerned about what's next. I laugh at those that are still stuck in the past which you cant do anything about anymore.

Bees - can we get an ignore button because I cant stand reading some of these dorky and childish posts that lead nowhere and waste my time cause its the same over and over and over again.

No one has tried to argue the fact that some of the best STs in the country over the last couple of decades were coached by the HCs. Beamer, Schiano and Pasqualoni (in the 90s). The theory is that guys get amped to perform for the HC on specials to try to get his attention and earn more playing time. I can't think of any other programs that consistently have outstanding STs. If someone can give a few examples of ST coaches that come close matching the results of VaTech and RU over the last 10 years, I would love to see it.

@BrentAxeMedia
Hearing that 1. Doug Marrone is set to name a new coach that will replace Conley on staff. 2. It is a name you will know.

Look for an official announcment maybe as soon as tomorrow.

Strange... the new coach on staff is also an LB coach. I didn't know of him.
Maybe the new coach on staff will coach another position.