Coaching Final Fours Across Decades. | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Final Fours Across Decades.

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
One of the best parts of this run we’re on right now is that it’s hopefully going to allow us to get some elite recruits for the next 2-3 years. So this got me thinking. Assuming JB guides us to a final four sometime after next season, has there ever been a college coach to get to Final Fours in five straight/different decades?

That truly would be remarkable.

80’s - 87
90’s - 96
00’s - 03
10’s - 13’& 16’ +
20’s - ??

Dean Smith has 4. Coach K has a chance to do 5, probably a better chance than JB, I guess? Anyone else I am forgetting?

Pitino has 4, if you ask me, at least.

Dean Smith has 4. Coach K has a chance to do 5, probably a better chance than JB, I guess? Anyone else I am forgetting?

Not if his back keeps acting up. I can see Coach K retiring before JB.

Not if his back keeps acting up. I can see Coach K retiring before JB.

Possible, but he also has a better chance of making a FF in any given year. And he is a few years younger.

Pitino has 4, if you ask me, at least.

You’re right. The short list is JB, Coach K, Smith & Pitino. (I would count his vacated FF’s, as you do too.)

FF in 4 different decades is pretty impressive; part of it is also a function of the calendar, of course. (Like Roy Williams made a FF in 91, if that was 89, he's got 4 different decades)

Wonder who else can join? Calipari has a good chance, he's got 3 decades. Assuming he doesn't run afoul of the NCAA (LOL) you gotta figure he will make a FF in the 20's. Tom Izzo is sitting on 3. Roy Williams. I think those are the only active guys with 3.

I'm not sure there are even that many youngish active guys with 2 you can project, though I suppose part of the point is you can't project this kind of stuff. Jay Wright has 2, he's 56, he'd have to coach for at least another 12 years.

One of the best parts of this run we’re on right now is that it’s hopefully going to allow us to get some elite recruits for the next 2-3 years. So this got me thinking. Assuming JB guides us to a final four sometime after next season, has there ever been a college coach to get to Final Fours in five straight/different decades?

80’s - 87
90’s - 96
00’s - 03
10’s - 13’& 16’ +
20’s - ??
To be fair, he Jimmy did it as an assistant in the 70's, so you could argue that JB has already coached SU through F4's in 5 straight decades, 4 of which bring a HC.

To be fair, he Jimmy did it as an assistant in the 70's, so you could argue that JB has already coached SU through F4's in 5 straight decades, 4 of which bring a HC.

I know. 1975. But I’m talking about as a head coach.

80’s - 87
90’s - 96
00’s - 03
10’s - 13’& 16’ +
20’s - ??

Something else interesting looking at the many decades of Boeheim is that this decade is already tied for the most NCAA tournament wins in the Boeheim era, with two seasons to go and the rest of this tournament to go. (Maybe you give an asterisk for the play-in game.)

80s (so 80-81 through 89-90)- 16 NCAA tourney wins
90s - 13 NCAA tourney wins
00s - 13 NCAA tourney wins
10s so far - 16 NCAA tourney wins

Something else interesting looking at the many decades of Boeheim is that this decade is already tied for the most NCAA tournament wins in the Boeheim era, with two seasons to go and the rest of this tournament to go. (Maybe you give an asterisk for the play-in game.)

80s (so 80-81 through 89-90)- 16 NCAA tourney wins
90s - 13 NCAA tourney wins
00s - 13 NCAA tourney wins
10s so far - 16 NCAA tourney wins

That’s a great stat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online