Coaching Staff | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff

I hope not. Need consistency and stability at this point.

Haven't seen any indication. It helps that the corp of the staff are Shafers buddies.

That said the DB coach is an outlier, and I've never seen his name mentioned with recruits. The performance of the DBS is up for debate.

I don't believe anyone is going to leave though.

Awesome glad to hear. We def need a quiet offseason when it comes to coaching changes

I would say yes, not based on anything but history.

Not wholesale changes, for obvious reasons, but when was the last time we had our entire coaching staff return? And if it was recently, how many times over the last 20 years has it happened?

I say no, we were 2 dropped TD passes from the same regular season record as last year, with a new staff, and a stronger schedule.

Over the summer I spent some time with the position coaches, younger coaches and GA's. it's a really fun group to be around, I hope the staff stays intact as I think they all have something to bring to the table and they seem to work really well together. Tons of energy.

Fun fact of the day, K Robbie Gould's little brother Chris is a ST coach for us. He played at Virginia until '08 I believe.

Good, I need Robbie Gould to go nuts in the fantasy football superbowl this weekend, any ties to SU i will take as good karma

Should we expect any turnover from our coaching staff this offseason?

The guy you worry about is Tim Lester. Is his wife still working for the Bulls in Chicago? Hard to live away from your family like that. The Chicago recruiting push takes advantage of existing connections guys like Lester and Smith have but it also affords Lester the chance to go home. But that's not a long-term solution.

He would be a tough loss. He's done a nice job with Hunt and is clearly a stabilizing influence on McDonald.

The guy you worry about is Tim Lester. Is his wife still working for the Bulls in Chicago? Hard to live away from your family like that. The Chicago recruiting push takes advantage of existing connections guys like Lester and Smith have but it also affords Lester the chance to go home. But that's not a long-term solution.

He would be a tough loss. He's done a nice job with Hunt and is clearly a stabilizing influence on McDonald.
Lester may be the one guy I'd most hate to lose. My gut sees him as our offensive coordinator someday. He recruits well and I don't remember any negativity about his coaching ability so he must be doing a good job with that.

Does she work in marketing, fundraising, scheduling, events, budgeting or anything else? She has got to be an upgrade, Hire her at SU.

It appears that his whole family is in the Syracuse area now according to this article from June:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/01/families_western_michigan_reun.html

Dawn Lester found her dream job in June 2012.
She had worked in professional sports before but not for an organization like this. The Chicago Bulls are known around the world, known for the most famous player ever — Michael Jordan. Scottie Pippen, a legend in his own right, walked by her office on a regular basis.
Dawn is a Senior Account Executive in Corporate Partnerships for the Bulls, and her husband, Tim Lester, was the head coach at Division III Elmhurst College. They lived with their two kids — the third is on the way and Tim has a fourth child of his own — in Chicago, where they have two houses.
It seemed perfect.
Then the phone rang.
"I told Coach Shafer when we talked on the phone that family was the No. 1 reason I wanted to coach for him," said Tim, the new Syracuse quarterbacks coach who held the same role at Western Michigan from 2005-06. "In our business it's sometimes hard to be a family man unless you put a priority on it. It takes a special person of character to stop what you're doing every once in a while, and that was really what I learned by watching Coach Shafer at Western Michigan."

Even his wife called the decision to leave Chicago, including quitting her dream job, a "no-brainer" to reunite with a "long-lost group of friends."
For her, the weekly wives dinner is what she missed the most about Kalamazoo. It became a tradition for all the coaches' wives to go to a restaurant while their husbands logged long hours. Friendships were built as their personal lives intertwined.
So tightly knit were those relationships that Tim said his wife was more excited about the idea of reuniting with defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough's family — especially his wife Nicole — than watching him speak at the introductory press conference earlier in the week.
"As soon as she logged on to the website a big picture of Coach Bullough popped up and she went crazy," Tim said. "Because that meant Nicole was coming."
And that makes leaving your dream job a little easier.

PhatOrange said:
Haven't seen any indication. It helps that the corp of the staff are Shafers buddies. That said the DB coach is an outlier, and I've never seen his name mentioned with recruits. The performance of the DBS is up for debate. I don't believe anyone is going to leave though.
I forgot where he was, maybe South NJ(?), but he was mentioned a couple times by recruits.

I think the staff stays completely intact unless some opportunity for a promotion comes for one of the coaches. I'd put my money on everyone being back , slmethig we really need

Ridicule me or not, but I think we could stand to lose a WR coach. He's openly complained about recruiting in the media and we haven't seen much production at all from the WRs on the field. Blame it on talent or whatever, but considering that McDonald is a former WR coach, I dont' see the reason to keep one on staff if he doesn't bring anything at all to the recruiting table.

Haven't seen any indication. It helps that the corp of the staff are Shafers buddies.

That said the DB coach is an outlier, and I've never seen his name mentioned with recruits. The performance of the DBS is up for debate.

I don't believe anyone is going to leave though.

Early on, I thought we might see a shakeup--especially on the defensive side of the ball, given how much yardage they were hemorrhaging early on. But after the GT game, the defense really got a lot better. A TON better. And I think those guys deserve to be brought back.

Ridicule me or not, but I think we could stand to lose a WR coach. He's openly complained about recruiting in the media and we haven't seen much production at all from the WRs on the field. Blame it on talent or whatever, but considering that McDonald is a former WR coach, I dont' see the reason to keep one on staff if he doesn't bring anything at all to the recruiting table.

OK, consider yourself ridiculed.

One day I hope we find out the real story of the GT debacle. It just seemed like such an outlier. We have a 3-4 Oakie base defense and variations of it so I never understood why the outrage over the use of the 3-4. More importantly I never understood how we were so unprepared.

IthacaBarrel said:
I say they all come back...
to win a national title... They vowed it one night drinking in shafers basement

They were playing Edward 40-hands. Hardnosed drinkin...
edward_40_hands.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom